Close

Question 86 Saleen values

With the recent (and rather dramatic) increase in Foxbody prices I'm wondering what a running and driving 86 might be worth. It does need a complete repaint and at least a hood and radio.

Just looking for ballpark figures

A lot of factors affect value of Saleens. How complete is it? How many miles? Any rust, or accident repair? What color is it, and yes that affects price? Is it an early '86 with '85 ground effects? Lot's to consider. Pics would help.

FEP Power Member

The only dramatic increase I have seen is at Barrett Jackson with one batch of cars. There are a bunch of svo's on e-bay at a bargain price compared to the ones that sold at Barrett Jackson and they have not sold.

I hope they go up, I would make a fortune at those prices but I really dont see it that way now. Maybe later I also have a 85 saleen I would like to see go up in value.
    Kendal

So do the early 86s that have the 85 options worth less in value, if so why....
    84 Mustang GT (needs restored)
    1986 True Blue Vert

It's pretty simple it's ALL about the price matching the condition.

The cars Collins sold at BJ were BRAND NEW cars several of which were never dealer serviced with miles less than 10 and others with miles less than 500.

What relevance do the Mustangs Collin's sold at BJ have to do with the value of the average Joe's Foxbody Mustang.

NOT MUCH if anything at all!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wikd331 View Post
    So do the early 86s that have the 85 options worth less in value, if so why....
    Actually, the opposite. The '85 ground effects are very valuable, due to rarity. They will add a slight premium over a regular '86. Like Mike said, condition is everything, so difficult to have apples against apples.

Well, I bought her. I had to move fast as there were other people interested. Here are the details:

1986 Saleen #86-0124
    40k(ish) original miles - odometer stopped at 40,644 but car only had 25k when bought in 2006 and 26.5k when sold in 2015
    third paint job
    I'm the 5th owner
    Missing the floormats, radio, shift knob and wheels - all of which are almost impossible to find I gather
    1 of 3 red with beige interior Saleens for 1986

Car starts and runs GREAT!

She needs new carpet, weatherstrip, door pins/rollers/strikers and all decals.

It also came with a complete SSBC 5 lug kit.

I have found the 3rd owner and he is seeing what info he has regarding previous owners.

Here are a few pictures:Name:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  175.1 KB
    Name:  20170128_225310383_iOS.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  117.3 KBName:  20170128_225310383_iOS.jpg
Size:  117.3 KBName:  20170128_224944770_iOS.jpg
Size:  161.7 KB

oops, double post
    Last edited by sportscars; 02-10-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: double post

SWEEET!!! congrats, is that also a predator in the background as well

Can we ask what you paid for it?
    I bought 85-132 abot a year and a half ago. Needed some things but had pretty much all the parts except the correct 85 front air dam. Paid just over $6K.
    My wife says we did ok on the price but maybe I'm just cheap. I think it was to much. But...... We both liked the car and wanted it.

Congratulations! You're going to love the search for parts. The floor mats are the most difficult item. All others can be had. A set of Rikens was on this site, not that long ago. Not sure if they sold.

FEP Senior Member

Great score!
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

He was asking $5500. I offered him $5k and he took it.

Can you post more pics of the car? Does it have interval windshield wipers? Has the door tag been painted over and if not is it still legible? Are the buck tags still on the core support? Can you post the tags here or send them to me (PM for email) if you don't want them posted publicly? Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Sweet score, welcome to the Saleen family. You'll definitely have to search high and low for the floor mats. Shift knobs are out there and Saleen offers the stripe kit now. The wheels pop up often. There was a few different wheels that came with the Saleen. My early 86 was came with 85 parts and Hayashi wheels.
    Some 86s came with ARE or Riken wheels.
    I love that color combo, I'm a big fan of sand beige interior.
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

FYI, Saleen's side stripes are no where close to accurate coloring. I know of someone who may have a single NOS mat. Tan will be near impossible. I was ecstatic when I found a gray set, which were much more common.

Well, I just wanted to update you on the car. She has been sitting pretty much since I got her. Picked up my daughter from school a couple of times is about all. Wife hated her and really wanted me to sell her. Lucky for me things have changed recently. I contacted a friend who now works for Saleen and they convinced me (my wife really) to keep it! She is about to undergo a pretty drastic make-over this winter and then hit the event scene next year hard. Probably be at most of the major Ford events nationwide next year. I spent the weekend at a private event with Steve Saleen last weekend and got him to sign the car. He was fairly impressed with her considering her age.

First up is to go through the suspension completely. New shocks, struts, springs and maybe a brake upgrade. Haven't decided if I want to mess with the 5lug conversion or just sell it to fund some of the costs. Then new carpet and clean the hell outta the interior. I'm asking Saleen to run another set of '86 floormats for me. Found a shift knob ($110). Still looking for rims. Enkei does still make the 92's but only in 5 lug. I can get them in blanks and have the 4 lug pattern drilled but they are still only 15's. I'd love to run 17s on her but not sure of correct Foxbody offsets and if I would need to go with '89 front fenders or not. It's been a while since I turned wrenches on the Foxes and I have forgotten a LOT of stuff!!!

Lot of decisions to be made quickly so she is ready by March.

Pics of door tag and buck tag(s)?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

This is the only thing anywhere that I can find and it's in pretty bad shape. I'll get a Marti report on it soon.

Name:  71EA4C9A-A1C6-4E49-9457-07BEEB480E1F.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  114.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Pics of door tag and buck tag(s)?
    Last edited by sportscars; 10-18-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: add info

FYI - your Ford VIN is the number after mine .
    My car became Saleen #86-0145.
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....