Close

Default Turbo Coupe Spindle Question

Anyone know if 87-88 Turbo Coupe spindles are the same as 87-93 V8 Mustang spindles? Put a set on the 86 Capri today and top of the wheels seem to be leaning out quite a bit.
    I'm using a 84 K member with 86 lower control arms.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Same spindle
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I would mark where the struts are right now then shove the all the way in towards the engine. (Max negative camber adjustment)

Next I would partially support the A-arm with a jack and loosen the strut to spindle bolts. I would put a bar on things and force the spindle king pin to tip upward for the most negative camber possible. tighten the bolts up and see where you are at. That might be all it needs.

if needed, get some camber bolts from Jegs or somewhere.
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Specialty-Prod...55158/10002/-1

If you are using strut shims put them on the side farthest away from the firewall to get more favorable caster geometry. Put the camber bolts in so the cams hit the strut and spindle bolt holes directly.

Worst case, run camber bolts top and bottom set opposite to eachother or switch to longer control arms as they don't make shorter struts.

Caster/camber plates can help get some more negative camber by increasing the effective height of the strut tower by 1/2" - 3/4".

To level set on how far this stuff can move, I was at +4 at max negative camber setting on my struts after the sn95 swap on my car. VERY bad! After an evening in my garage with a good friend I'm at -2 camber with struts centered in the opening and caster on my plates maxed out. Don't get discouraged - there is a LOT of adjustment to be had once you get the feel for it.

Good luck!

K and arms make no difference; basically the same dimensions as stock. However, when switching to the later spindle, you will need to adjust both toe and camber. Normal when switching to the later spindle for the bigger brakes.