Close

Default SVO Aluminum Bumpers

Does anyone know the weight difference between SVO Aluminum bumpers and regular 79-86 metal bumpers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of the SVO's I have owned ever had aluminum bumpers. Others may vary.

I believe most of the aluminum bumpers were used in the early model years of the Foxes.

If you want to drop weight off the front of your SVO, then you might consider the Aero fiberglass bumper support. You will make to modify/fabricate a way to mount it to the bumper struts, but that's a plentiful, inexpensive option for the front. That is my plan with my 84 SVO.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I think only 1979 and some early 1980 models got them from the factory. Some later years may have them but probably because the steel bumper sustained damage in a collision and an aluminum bumper was procured for the repair.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I think only 1979 and some early 1980 models got them from the factory. Some later years may have them but probably because the steel bumper sustained damage in a collision and an aluminum bumper was procured for the repair.
    That was what I was thinking, that the aluminum bumper had been phased out by 1981 at the latest, but I wasn't 100% sure. I figured you would know!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I don't know for sure. That's just my guess.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I installed aluminum front and rear bumpers on my 81 coupe. light as a feather. can lift them with one finger.

Quote Originally Posted by badnightrain View Post
    I installed aluminum front and rear bumpers on my 81 coupe. light as a feather. can lift them with one finger.
    I have a raging jealousy festering...
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by badnightrain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic G.T.350 View Post
    I have a raging jealousy festering...
    I have to say I agree with that! I have yet to se or find any around these parts.

FEP Senior Member

I have front and rear aluminum supports on my SVO AND it was not stock. Like others stated, they were early FOXes 79-82.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

I found my set on ebay. they were mint!