Close

Thread: Front struts

Default Front struts

Will the 94-2004 ft struts and rear shocks fit the foxbody? I'm swapping to 95 control arms and spindles. Guy locally has a set of ft/rr Konis with 200 miles on them. If they will fit I'll buy them. Also I need to get camber plates. Do I get 87-93 or 94-04. Or are they the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I have 94 spindles but fox control arms with SN95 ball joints and MM caster/camber plates. Not sure how the 95 control arms will affect your geometry. I believe they will increase your track width.
    Last edited by 84lxvert; 01-25-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    05 Corvette Z51

IIRC, the 94-04 struts will physically bolt in but have reduced bump travel compared to the Fox strut. I seem to recall guys with lowered SN95s installing Fox spec struts to get back some bump travel. Rear shocks, I believe, are the other way around with the SN95 version being more desireable for lowered cars. You would use CC plates for the chassis year no matter which strut you use as the differences between early Fox, late Fox and SN95 plates are in how they mount to the strut tower, not the strut.
    Last edited by Ttopcapri; 01-26-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    Currently Foxless

^^^^ Agreed. The Koni sn95 struts will not be good for a Fox chassis; the rear shock will be. Bilstein struts are the same for both Fox and sn95. If the k-member on the car is an 86 and earlier factory piece, or one from an 87-93 I4 car, the a-arm pickups are .5" per-side more inboard than the later v8 cars. As a result, the longer sn95 a-arm will add 2.5" to the track, but the net is 1.5" (.75" per-side) when compared to the later cars. Therefore, with enough camber (needed with the sn95 spindle), there will not be as much if any tire/fender clearance. On my 86, the longer arms lowered the car another .5" (longer lever) which made it too low (was using "C" springs). Ultimately went to C/Os. 245/45/17s fit fine without any fender mods at 25-5/8" ground to lip up front and -1.75* camber.

Well. I just picked up a complete Front suspension off a 01 Cobra I am going to run. I need to install new bushings and ball joints. It came with new Tokico struts and shocks. Once I get it up and running I'll see how it rides. If it's awful I'll sell off the struts and buy ones for the 87-93.

The problem with reduced bump travel is once it hits the limit it hits the stops. You'll pound your strut towers to death without even realizing it. Sell them, get fox parts!

I used 87-93 Koni struts on my SVO when I installed 03 Cobra front control arms on my factor K-member with zero issues. I know am running those same struts with fox length MM control arms on a MM k-member. Like said above, I would buy the rears and look for the correct front struts for your car.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Ok. We have a problem. I have 94-04 front control arms and spindles. I had front struts for the SN95 but everyone agreed it'd be a rough ride. So I dropped 500 for the 87-93 Konis. Here's the issue. The bottom of the strut is too long and I can't get it to bolt in to the spindles. Anyone run into this.

I believe those are Koni adjustable struts that are specific to the 84-86 SVO cars. Although the strut mount on the spindle may be correct, the SVO LCA design is such that it offers clearance for the extended bottom of the strut tube in the mount.

Name:  SVO LCA.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  40.5 KB
    Last edited by 86FOX4EYE; 05-25-2017 at 09:40 PM.

This car is killing me. I hope Summit will take these back. So it looks like the bottom of the tube for the 5.0s are shorter.

I feel your pain. I have been down that road many times in my 57 years. You are doing some really nice work in those pics. Try not to get too discouraged.

Matthew
    Last edited by 86FOX4EYE; 05-26-2017 at 07:12 AM.

As stated, I am pretty sure those are the 84-86 SVO specific Koni struts. Due to the different spindle and control arm the strut doesn't fit properly with other setups. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ok. I bought one strut from Summit and the other from amazon. Summit is getting one back and sending me 2 new Koni non adjustables. Kind of a 2 for 1. If anyone needs a new spare Koni strut for an SVO let me know. I'll ship it to you for $150. New in box.

Quote Originally Posted by 80fairmont View Post
    Ok. I bought one strut from Summit and the other from amazon. Summit is getting one back and sending me 2 new Koni non adjustables. Kind of a 2 for 1. If anyone needs a new spare Koni strut for an SVO let me know. I'll ship it to you for $150. New in box.
    Nice! At least you don't have to eat all of it. Not sure what your situation is with Amazon but my experience is they are pretty good about taking returns. I have Amazon prime because I order so many products that the free shipping and "no questions asked" return policy pays for itself and more. they just sent me an itemized invoice for last year and I save about $900 in shipping alone. At any rate I am glad you found a workable resolution so far. I am following this thread because i am going to be making the same type of mods you are working on now although my platform is an 86 vert. I already have the sn-95 spindles and the lowers but I am still collecting parts and pieces. I also have a bit more work to do in sim but its looking pretty good.

Matthew

Matthew

And this is where we are now... just waiting on sway links and brake hoses

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Lookin' good! So are those the Koni STR.T struts? I assume so, since you said non-adjustable. Those didn't exist "back in the day" when I was starting out on my Mustang's suspension, so I've never had an opportunity to use them.

Yes. They are the non adjustables. I just put a set on a 92 GT w HR springs MM bump steer kit and upper plates. It actually rode great.

Gotta love shiny parts, looks great and I am glad you found the parts to get everything to work together.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Thanks. It's been a pain. But this is the finished product.

Very similar to what I'm running on mine.

My suggestion is to get some camber bolts then tweak your camber so you can center the struts in the towers and max out caster. Or fine tune strut placement however works best for your wheel offset and tires, etc.

I felt pretty accomplished when I got 245/45/17's under my 86GT while running an 86 "2.5 turn" rack, stock k member and control arms, X2 balljoints, and without adding a rack limiter to avoid rubbing. Heaven knows I spent a lot of time jacking the fenderwells then screwing them in place to make it happen. Was a trick getting -2 degrees of camber in it with the x2's for sure. The ol hides end up close to rubbing on the front of the wheel opening but the caster setting avoids any drama.