Close

Default 1986 HVAC Control Panel Question

Is there a difference between hatchback and convertible HVAC control panels?

I have a McLaren roadster that started life as a hatch back. They cut the top off and added the the parts for the convertible conversion. That would have removed the rear defrost. However, on my car, it looks like it still has the rear window defrost spot on the control panel. It looks like the paint was removed very unprofessionally. The knob and control were also removed. It doesn't look professional, at all, and it has broken tabs on the back.

I haven't found anything in my ASC research that mentions that panel.

It makes sense that it still had the defrost, but I would think that ASC would have done a much more professional job of converting the panel.

This is a pic (not of my car) that shows the defrost stuff. Do the convertible or non-defrost optioned Mustang or Capris get this panel??

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  98.0 KB

I am not an ASC expert by any stretch, but this would be a normal Fox HVAC without rear defrost panel.

Name:  Unit 5.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  74.9 KB

Your vehicle might have originally been equipped with the rear defrost or maybe a PO swapped out the control head.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

ASC cars did not come with rear defrost. Rear defrost was not a standard feature yet on all Ford cars but our expert says it was standard on the Capri. With that said, Someone replaced the panel. Yet another detail on the ASC conversion. There are maybe 6 different versions of the red lighted ones.

Ac, no defrost
    Ac, defrost
    No ac, no defrost
    No ac, defrost?
    Dealer ac, no defrost
    Dealer ac, defrost

On another note, I was considering using the defrost switch and timer to activate the Recaro heated seats as they do not have a timer for power on. Seems simple enough.

Edit: Most Asc cars were ordered using a special order code D32 I believe. This did not include rear defrost. However, a few cars were pulled from the regular production and converted. The special order cars had a different vin from the regular production and started with 1MH. The regular production cars were 1ME. I think these were mostly 1985 cars. You can check the Marti Report to see if you car came with it.
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-25-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

You may never know. I imagine back in those days, the car could well have been shipped over for the conversion and the McLaren guys were like @#$% Ford, we said no defrost! And then they just went on doing the conversion. Not like they could send it back. They could have obviously ordered a correct control as pictured above but who knows? Maybe your OEM one broke at some point and was replaced by the previous owner too. If the car originally HAD rear defrost, pull that cover loose and you should see a rather large gauge (diameter) yellow wire sitting back there. The defrost wire is much larger then all the other wires. I doubt McLaren would have gone to the trouble to remove the wire from the harness if it was already there.

Ha. the very first picture that came up in a search seems to very clearly show the slot where the lever was on this car as well. Maybe they came this way?

Last edited by homer302; 01-25-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Rear window defroster was standard in the Capri in the 1985 and 1986 model years.

EDIT: OK so I checked the database entries...

Every 1985 ascMcLaren buck tag, build sheet, and Marti report that I have seen, including convertible and Coupe, has defrost.

Every 1986 ascMcLaren buck tag and build sheet that I have seen, including convertible, Coupe, and Eurocoupe, has defrost. However, every 1986 ascMcLaren Marti report that I have seen does not have defrost.

1MH = incomplete Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA

1MH was in 1984 (less than 50) and 1985 (over 200) only.

Most ascMcLaren Capri convertibles are 1MH but some are 1ME.

Every ascMcLaren Capri that I have seen a DSO for has been a special order. Not just 1MH. All VINs. All convertibles. All Coupes. All Eurocoupes.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 01-25-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I can totally see Homer's vision! Mine looks just like the picture he found.

There is definitely something odd about my car, the tags on the radiator support say coupe, so I'm thinking that maybe it was to be a coupe build but it was switched to a roadster before the build?

Name:  IMG_3118.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  99.3 KB

Also, there is a connector next to the driver seat that doesn't go to anything. Would that be the defrost wiring?

Name:  IMG_3114.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  112.9 KB

The defrost wiring in rear of the ASCs was used to power the tonneau pull-down.

Mike

That's interesting. So, if that is the case, then it would make sense that the HVAC control panel would have the defrost section. That is, unless the defrost wiring cam standard on the wiring harness?

Also, on the pic of the wiring I posted earlier, there is a blue wire that is not connected. I'm wondering what that is, too.

Rear defrost wire is 1 yellow very thick gauge wire as noted above.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

The extra connector next to the seat is for the heated seat and controls on the Recaros. The seats were on the lower end of Recaro's offerings and heating pad in the seats would short out and take out the black box that operates seats and the tonneau cover pulldown... The black box was usually placed in the dash behind the HVAC controls. The defrost wire was one of the wires connected to it.

On a side note... If your pull down doesn't work, there is a second black box in the trunk connected to the pull down motor harness. If the trunk black box doesn't have power on the yellow defrost wire, the black box in the dash may be fried or missing. Both of the boxes are the same part and from what I understand they contained a couple of relays and an early 80's era circuit board.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981