Close

Default 1986 Front Bumper Cover

Need to replace the front bumper cover on my 1986 GT. Looking at the various vendors, there is a significant price difference. I'd imagine that the replacement front bumper covers are all manufactured by the same company, and resold by retail outlets. Does anyone have a review or recommendation of which vendor to go with. Cheapest comes to mind if there is no difference in quality.

Tom

I am fairly certain all of them (at least those that state its made from Ford Original Tooling) are selling the Daniel Carpenter front bumper cover as he has the original tool to my knowledge.

So with that in mind, you can compare based upon that and pricing. Just also make sure to consider shipping costs if not including in the pricing. A front cover is not a small part to ship and the shipping costs can easily add $50-100 to the overall cost of purchase if free shipping is not included. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yea I'd almost bet that the main difference you're seeing in price is because some are including shipping and some aren't.

Thanks guys. You were spot on. Difference was all in shipping costs.

Glad to help!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

If possible, shipping via Greyhound will often be the cheapest way to get large body parts such as bumpers shipped. You will have to pick up at the station and obviously the shipper will have to drop off, but I have used it several times for air dams, bumper covers, etc. and it usually runs $50-75 unless shipping clear across the US.

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If possible, shipping via Greyhound will often be the cheapest way to get large body parts such as bumpers shipped. You will have to pick up at the station and obviously the shipper will have to drop off, but I have used it several times for air dams, bumper covers, etc. and it usually runs $50-75 unless shipping clear across the US.

Good Luck!
    ^^^^^This all day long. I have done this for a few bumper covers. Very cheap, easy in, easy out. Their stations seems to be located in easy to access locations with ample parking. It's not anywhere near the hassle it sounds like it might be. It's not fast but it sure is cheap.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Thanks for all the input. Bit the bullet and ordered a new one from LMR. Had a line on a few used ones, but as I'll only be doing this once (hopefully), figured I'd just go for new.

New User

Were you happy with the new one you got? I have just ordered one as well from LMR.

Quote Originally Posted by av8vito View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Bit the bullet and ordered a new one from LMR. Had a line on a few used ones, but as I'll only be doing this once (hopefully), figured I'd just go for new.

Yes. Very happy. Excellent quality. Had it painted at a local shop. Mounted right up to the vehicle once I transferred the two thin metal mounting strips from the edges of the old bumper cover.

New User

Great! That's good to know.