Close

Default The Lowered Wagon thread

I know there have been a couple threads on lowering wagons, but none of them end conclusively.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...lowering+wagon

The consensus is that wagons have a higher spring rate for more load carrying ability and their added girth over the rear end compared to sedans and coupes. Reports of installing Mustang rear lowering springs result in lowering the rear of the wagon much more than was prescribed for the Mustang it was intended for.

So, assuming the wagon in questions is actually a 1986 LTD v6. The intent is to do a v8 swap (so 100lb extra up front). Actually handle and perform well in the turn but still hold 4 adults and their luggage or a 500-800 lbs of whatever I want.

The front springs should basically be standard front Mustang lowering springs. Front Weights are going to be about the same as a v8 mustang.

The rear, I expect when empty to be lower than the Mustang would be. You could use coil spring spacers or weight jacker control arms. The control arms are excessively expensive IMHO compared to spacers. So assuming the empty ride height is solved, what about the load carrying? Monroe Air Shocks or Air Lift bags that go inside the spring.

Thoughts. advices, observations?

Looking at the door tags here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ighlight=wagon

REAR GAWRs: 83 Mustang coupe - 1926, 79 Fairmont wagon - 2198, 80 Granada 4-door - 2075.

Put your fat mother-in-law (YMMV ) in the back of the Mustang and it won't drop that much IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to use Mustang springs in a wagon. If I planned to use it as a wagon (500-800 lbs of whatever), I would put air shocks on it.

Mike

Blog Entries

I would probably take the spring rates, etc. quoted in that thread, and contact Maximum for a set of springs. There are a vast array of springs available, and one should give you the same rate as stock, with an inch lower ride height. Other vendors are also available, but I know MM's tech is excellent. I personally would prefer no spacers and not having to deal with air shocks, and price wise it would probably be similar.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I felt that the rear on my boxtop Zeph was too low with H&R Mustang springs, so I added Global West spacers to mine. They are the only ones I've seen that actually raise the bottom seat. A similar effect to MM's adjustable control arms, but for less money.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

How low do you want to go? If you want to drop it a couple of inches your most likely going to run into issues with fender clearance, especially if you run a decent sized wheel.

When I swapped a 351 into my 84 LTD the weight of the engine brought the front end down about an inch from where it was with the V6. This also evened the wagon out, as before the front sat higher then the rear.

With my wheel choice (17x9 245/45/17), I've had to gently pull out on the front fenders and slightly roll the rears so they wouldn't rub. A bigger wheel choice, or lowering it more would mean a bigger means of persuasion for the tires to fit inside the fenders.

My suggestion is if you haven't already done the engine swap, go ahead and do it, fit your wheels and see where your at before swapping out springs. Maybe it'll sit where you want it, maybe not, but you'll know exactly what your working with.Name:  IMG_20161023_144210.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  154.3 KB
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

It should be noted too, those Cobra wheels are 30mm offset. If you used S197 45MM offset wheels, you might be able to get by without messing with the fenders at all.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual