Close

Default Rear brake hose problems on fairmont when installing sn95cobra 8.8

Hi,
    I was looking at my sn95 Cobra rearend sitting next to my 81 futura, and noticed the brake lines are different. The Cobra rearend included a nice braided line that has a banjo fitting on the end. My car, original 4cyl. car, does not have a banjo fitting on it. It looks like I can purchase a rubber line to make it work, but a braided line is preferable. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Get steel tie wire. Prep two long lengths of it, prime it, and paint it. This will prevent rust.

Coat the rubber hose in a flexible epoxy. If desired, Wrap in foil or other similar substance. Top coat with more glue. While still wet wrap the rubber hose in two strands of tie wire perfectly side by side as close together as possible. Unwind one wire, leave the other one. It will look like a spring wrapped around the lines. Be sure to secure any sharp ends away from the rubber so they don't rub through. Top coat in more flexible glue. Shrink tube wrap the finished product.

ive used flexible bumper repair product for this before. It works well, although even just silicone is going to be just fine.

inspect the line every time you service the car. It will perform at peak for about 2 years or 20K miles in harsh conditions on rough roads in my experience.

if you look you can find better materials that bend more on a repeat basis without breaking. Spring parts out of certain weapons, etc, will last much longer while yielding the desired results. I believe the return springs on some e-brake cables are the right diameter and can be cut to length.

instant brake upgrade.

your other option is to get the brades off of another hose and transplant them, or make your own.
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-24-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Thank you erratic 50

There's a fitting that only existed on '85-95 V8 Mustangs you need if you want to use the Cobra line. I tracked one of these down for my car, but it wasn't easy. I've heard there are braided lines from F150s that work, but I can't say for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I will look into the f150 option. I noticed also that the manifold block for the two rear lines have changed position too. My new rr has it on the diff housing on the driver side, while the old one is on the pass. axle tube. I think I will make a little extension tube that goes from the feeder line by the torque box on the pass. side and route it up tight around the driveshaft tunnel to the drivers side, then get that fitting you mentioned, then hook up the cobra line. I guess I'll wait to do that determination until after I bolt it in and see just what I'm against. Thank you very much. Off to Google f150 lines!

Also don't discount what can be accomplished with the wide selection of adapter fittings in Autozone, etc. carry on what you start with and what you need to get to, you'll leave with a plan and the parts to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Also don't discount what can be accomplished with the wide selection of adapter fittings in Autozone, etc. carry on what you start with and what you need to get to, you'll leave with a plan and the parts to do it.
    Tried that for the stupid banjo fitting. It doesn't exist outside of '85-95 V8 Mustangs, as far as I've been able to tell. However, if they ever come out with a braided stainless line for base cars, that would bolt right up. Another option is a Russell universal line.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual