Close

Default 86 Capri 5.0 worth?

First off, I'm new here so hello everyone.

I'm thinking of getting my first four eye and ran across this 1986 Mercury Capri...

http://www.patblackcars.com/1986_Mer..._264759292.veh

It looks like a nice car, but I don't think it is worth 5,500 dollars, but then again I don't really know a whole lot about these cars.

So what do you guys think of this Capri? 4,000 dollars a good price? It is quite a drive to Missouri from where I am and don't want to waste gas on something that is too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Buying from a dealer is always gonna cost you more.. Me personally I wouldn't touch it.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

If it's what you want and you have it checked out, I think buying from a dealer is fine. A private seller can screw you too.

If it's a straight car with no rust I don't think that's a bad price. Jmo

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decent capris in my area go from 3-4k. Ad list a turbo as one of the options. The 475 rwhp claim sounds a bit exaggerated also. Depending on how far of a drive it is I would look at it. Don't be affraid to call them on there B's either. Wouldn't surprise me if 3k would buy that
    Only difference between a nice car and a peice of ****, is a paint job

That Merc has been for sale for a long time on several websites. Given the miserable quality of the dash modifications, I would forget this car, surely the rest of the modifications done to it aren't any better.

Attachment 108611

Why is it idling at 1500 rpm? No thanks.

Mike
    Last edited by 4-barrel Mike; 01-22-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Looks like gt40p heads too. Wish that was all it took to get to 475hp.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I agree that dash is a bit different, and the HP claim is perhaps 200 to high.

Is it possible that this Capri was a four cylinder car that they put the Windsor in, because of the lack of power steering?

Did the four cylinders have a different rated 5spd than the 5.0?

Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    I agree that dash is a bit different
    Look at the pic! Someone took no more than 10 minutes to whack out a piece of crap to hold his gauges. The holes don't match the vents, they aren't square, they aren't even cut straight. The triangle cut out for the high beam/turn signals is the capper: 2 minutes to make a paper pattern, transfer it to the diamond plate and then drill three holes. The original panel under there is undoubtedly destroyed. Odds are the wiring consists of twisted joints of ripped up factory wiring, wrapped in electrical tape.

Look at the gauges! It's at 180* and idling at ~1500 rpm. An epileptic monkey could get a proper build to idle better that.

Same car: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2863/overview/ with a 1979 VIN (?).

Do a web search on the seller for feedback on cars sold. I first saw the car in October and thought it to be a P.O.S.

As always, YMMV

Mike

Did dealer dyno he claims
    475 hp. Ask for proof I doubt he has it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is bisons' father... I have had several foxbodies over the years( '80 Capri, 84 GT, 86 GT convertible) but I have been out of the scene for several years so I told him to get on here and see what he could find out. Thanks

He has no proof just what the guy he bought if from said.....I told him it was highly exaggerated. I built a 351 CJ with 4V heads with alot of cam that was nowhere near his hp claim.

Claims no rust other than what a usual 30 year old car would have. 650 Holley and says it has a cam but has no idea what it is... aftermarket steering rack but doesn't know what it is either. Sounds just interesting enough to go look but probably a crap shoot

I may go look at it this Saturday and see how low I can get him on price. Only about 4 hour aways. We looked at a 84 GT350 and a '86 Capri last Saturday that had there own share of problems also. The Capri should have been parted out it was rusted so bad.

Thanks for the info..keep it coming.

I bought an 86 cougar 5 years ago that looked really good. Had a few rust bubbles here and there, but no real issues. Clean car fax with no accidents. In the trunk I found hertz rent a car paper work with body shop stuff in the trunk under the carpet. I noticed it had a 84 grill on it but didnt think much of it, and saw it had been painted at least once. Drove really good.

Turns out in 1987 it was rolled. When I went to put a windshield on it, the old windsheild came out with most of the window frame covered in bondo. I also realized the roof was a different shape side to side. I started sanding down the rust bubbles and found bondo over rust through out almost the whole car.

"Average rust" for a 30 year old car could mean anything by now.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Yeah there is no way that thing is even putting out 275 rwhp. I would be willing to bet the things motor has been beat to death! I wouldn't even pay $2000 for it in it's current condition. The quality of the work on the outside is usually a sign of the condition of the stuff you can't see and figure it's most likely much worse!

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 01-23-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

When I bought my car I drove almost to Kentucky down in Indiana from Mid Michigan to look at a $4500 "86" Capri when I got there the entire roof was bondo, the motor had a clearly blown head gasket, the interior was a mix and match between a 79 an 86 and God knows what else, it wouldn't start without a jump box, barely idled at 1200rpm, and it was a consignment sale at some little crooked dealer I called him out on everything and he just kept denying all of it, don't jump too fast there's better cars for cheaper and those small town dealers are some of the biggest criminals. I bought my car out of a garage in Indianapolis on my way back home, it's no cherry but was considerably cheaper and not nearly as bad body wise. This forum is a great source of info be glad you found it first I wish I would have something good will pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a little high but you can always talk them down it's only about 20 minutes north of where I live

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

My buddy picked this one up for 3500 with a 351 and a 5speed and probably 10000 in paint rust free

Haha...475 hp on a 302. Is that even possible w/o stroking. I have bored 306, GT40 heads (worked), 1.6 scorpion roller rockers, comp cam, performer intake, 650 cfm...basically the standard 302 build and I would put my HP around 325...and I spent a ton to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    This is bisons' father... I have had several foxbodies over the years( '80 Capri, 84 GT, 86 GT convertible) but I have been out of the scene for several years so I told him to get on here and see what he could find out. Thanks

He has no proof just what the guy he bought if from said.....I told him it was highly exaggerated. I built a 351 CJ with 4V heads with alot of cam that was nowhere near his hp claim.

Claims no rust other than what a usual 30 year old car would have. 650 Holley and says it has a cam but has no idea what it is... aftermarket steering rack but doesn't know what it is either. Sounds just interesting enough to go look but probably a crap shoot

I may go look at it this Saturday and see how low I can get him on price. Only about 4 hour aways. We looked at a 84 GT350 and a '86 Capri last Saturday that had there own share of problems also. The Capri should have been parted out it was rusted so bad.

Thanks for the info..keep it coming.
    I have been in the restoration and collision repair industry for approximately 17 years. I am a licensed appraiser. All I appraise is restorations and collector cars mostly for resale value and collector car insurance. If or when you guys go look at the car. Go down to your local paint jobber and pick up cheap mil gauge. Spend some time to examine panel alignment. Next spend some time looking down each side of the car. Of there is any shotty body work there will be tell tale signs. I always like to open the doors and inspect the door shells for rust. Take your mil gauge and test each panel. If it has original paint it should be in the 4.0-4.5 mil range. If it has had a respray it should be in the 6-6.5 range. If there is common areas of rust for fox body cars that you know of check those area's as well. If you find anything it will significantly add to you being able to haggle the price down . Hope this helps
    Only difference between a nice car and a peice of ****, is a paint job

They have a car that has been in their inventory for a long time now. They have hardly made an effort to present it properly. The thing is missing the airdam for crying out loud! It doesn't even have a radio! The 5.0 badges are incorrectly placed, I see wires that are disconnected by the e-fan, a/c deleted, dash pad is totaled. The hatch is 86 specific with the 3rd brake light. The interior is Capri 5.0, it looks to be in fairly decent shape. Any questions about what engine the car originally came with can be answered by the 8th character in the VIN. Someone may have put a manual rack in it - or not. Easy enough to tell when you see it in person. Those appear to be cheapo Equus gauges and the checker plate sucks, but this is easily reversible stuff provided they didn't hack the harness up too much. Reversible in that you can buy good gauges and maybe use the existing wiring, buy a Mike Croke machine dash plate or put the gauges in a stock plate or into a gutted cluster housing. It is possible that the bottom of the barrel aftermarket tach is junk and not reading properly.

This car is easy to tear apart, when you see it in person you can find more things to nit pick. I'd get the VIN and buy an Auto Check before wasting a day. You may be able to figure out how the dealer got it through that. Take it for a drive, complain about the manual steering and waste as much of their time as you can. It would have originally been fuel injected, so I'd be looking at the fuel system, engine harness etc, anything you suspect the p.o. touched. Check the underbody, fuel lines, brake lines, door bottom, hatch, sunroof, for rust, and the floor pans for cracks behind the seats. From what I see in the pictures and assuming you don't see any other surprises I think $3000 is all it's worth. Their asking price is so high and the car is so poorly presented it's up to you guys whether or not you want to potentially waste your time on some likely slimeball dealer's word.

Cale

Texted the dealer this afternoon and he wouldn't go down from $5,000. I think I'll keep looking and let this one slide. Thanks for the information everyone.