Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1985 Hertz SVO 9L, Began Restoration!!

I Figured I would start a post to follow the resto process for my SVO. My plan is to keep the exterior basically stock in appearance other than the rims and tires. So when I picked the car up a few weeks ago, it is a fairly nice car upon appearance but when looking closer, it was needing quite alot. In addition to doing all new paint and weatherstripping, I plan on building the car to the 400 to 500 RWHP range to give it a little more fun to drive effect and to keep the v8 cars off my back a little. So here is the photos of when I first got her and where I've got so far, more to come! Thanks for viewing!Name:  15895333_1360558580663667_150394448618796002_n.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  80.7 KB

My first upgrade was to add a setup of Flowmaster 40 series with 2.5 inch exhaust.Name:  15965259_1362858500433675_4336419902039951829_n.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  68.2 KB

My next stepped I replaced the original tires and 225 series tires, with a nice set of mustang 5 spoke chrome wheels in 17" with 245 series tires. I still haven't fixed the front tires from rubbing yet, but working on it. Next I replaced the top dash pad and added a temp steering wheel cover. I have ordered a new headliner panel and headliner material, that should be posted soon when completed. After that I will be starting the engine mods!Name:  15965626_1364574880262037_9024409253133844136_n.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  124.9 KBName:  15978107_1364574743595384_8326741891759143296_n.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  72.0 KB

Congrats on the SVO and Good Luck with the "Restoration".

Not that you asked, but I will give you my .02 on your power goals. I used to do all the paint, body work, and interior work on SVO's that Motion Dynamics used to work on. You probably don't know Motion Dynamics as they have been out of business for several years now unfortunately due to Jim Whelan's pasing. Jim specialized in SVO's and the 2.3 Turbo cars. Jim built some SVO's that had everything from stock to well over 400 HP. Now this was back when using a Volvo intercooler was the hot ticket, so I know things have improved and there are a ton of parts out there now that weren't available back in the late 90's and early 2000's. With all that said, I know the 2.3 Turbo can achieve 400HP and more, the issue IMHO is that when you start getting over 350HP in my experience the Fun to drive factor of the SVO begins to diminish. That is not to say that driving a 400+ HP Mustang isn't FUN! The issue for me is that the little 2.3 has to work it's butt off to make 400+ HP and is generally a lot more on the edge making that kind of HP compared to a V8.

The fun to drive, great seat of the pants turbo acceleration, and the peppy feeling of the SVO goes away and the in many cases the cars become almost like an on/off switch. A slow boring 4 cyl or a screaming Banshee when the boost kicks in! Bottom line is I had the privilege of driving several SVO's that put down an Honest 400+ HP on the chassis dyno (not estimated HP) and although they were fast and hauled A$$, they had become too extreme and too hard to drive in many cases. This is especially true if you want to use the car as a daily driver/fun to run around car. If you want to make a street terror and occasional street racer then everything I have said is pretty much Moot!

I have an 84 SVO that will be getting all of the 86 SVO engine upgrades as well as a few aftermarket items such as 3" Down Pipe, FMIC, possibly a rotated intake, gutted and knife edged intake, etc. My plan is something in the 300-350 HP range for me, but I don't want to give up driveability and the fun factor that is so much of the SVO experience. Honestly my pure HP needs will be addressed by either my PC or my 82 GT, so I have options.

Bottom line, I am not trying to critique your choices or desires, I just want to make sure you are aware of your options and some of the possible pitfalls. Good Luck with your SVO as they are a blast to own and a blast to drive!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 01-22-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I completely agree with Trey. I have done the highly modded 2.3 thing. Only difference was mine was n/a. Car became unenjoyable to drive all the time. I was thinking about doing some things to my 84 SVO when I was reminded of my old car. I have decided to leave it as is. Especially since I'm not a fuel injection guy. I still prefer carbs.

In the end though it is still YOUR car and your money to do with as you please. Enjoy and good luck with the resto.
    Last edited by dagenham; 01-22-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Congrats on the SVO and Good Luck with the "Restoration".

Wow, great information from a great source. I remember the days when Motion Dynamics was all the rage. Tiny Avenger was another big name. I bought a bunch of 2.3L goodies many years back with the intent of building up a 300+ hp project some day. Some day....

Thanks for all the great input guys! I am kinda up and down about a few things. Not owning a 2.3 turbo before I don't know what to expect. I will say this my DD is a 2003 GT supercharged to 400 RWHP and I enjoy it and really don't desire any more than what it has, but I don't like the feeling of getting into the SVO after I've been in the GT, so I would like to keep it similar, but again like you guys said, keep it to where it is still fun to drive, I don't wan't to make a drag car out of it. I guess once I get past the 300hp range I can see how the car feels and who knows might stop there. My next upgrade is going to be stainless steel headers and 3" down pipe, then like try to get the 86 PE computer and upgrade the MAF and injectors, then try intakes worked and then possibly a boport head, maybe not in the exact order, but you see where I'm going, was also thinking about a slightly more modern turbo, not sure on what size thou, probably very close to stock. I am excited about it, I am starting to fall in love with the car the more I upgrade, I start enjoying it more.

A couple of quick things. First 300 HP or more in an SVO will feel similar to your 03 GT due to the weight difference between the vehicles. Yes the GT will still be faster and have more power, but I think you might be surprised how much fun the SVO is to drive with 300 or so Horsepower.

All the headers for the SVO seem to have issues long term with cracking and durability. Yes they do help with HP, but just forewarning you about them. An extrude honed E6 manifold works pretty well for someone that doesn't want to deal with the header issues.

Here is another option that I am considering too, but I don't have any actual experience to pass on at this time. http://www.gnariperformance.com/stor...turbo-manifold

A SVO does not use a MAF, it uses a VAM which up to 300-350 HP will work, but after that becomes a restriction. Depending on your time table, I have a PE computer that I might not be using, but not sure yet. Feel free to PM me and we can discuss.

I am considering going with the PiMPx or PiMPxs computer setup on my SVO for ultimate tuneability and the ability to get rid of the VAM. If you haven't check out Stinger-Performance I highly recommend them and their products. http://www.stinger-performance.com/universalparts.html

Boport is doing headwork again, but it appears you have to find most or all of it on Ebay. Again depending on your ultimate power level desires will determine if a Boport head is work the expense. Not saying they are good parts and do improve performance, just depends if the added cost if effective IMHO.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

So you've decided to keep the SVO? Last post I saw, you were selling it on Ebay. Does your Hertz SVO have the Vin etched in the glass and the wheels?
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

The Gnari looks pretty cool, I will indeed message you about the other things, thanks for the good input. I had read that the factory E6 was cracking, but wasn't aware of the Stainless aftermarket ones being an issue, I guess the Gnari if high quality would fix that.

MIKE'SSVO86, yes after talking to a few guys here on the forum about some issues I was having about the SVO resto, I had a few really good points made to me and pulled my auction and chose to put a little more thought into it. Not saying that I won't sell it, but I at least have a better understanding of the car and it's place in the Ford Lineup. Meanwhile I've been making improvements to the car, I have a list and it is slowly getting smaller. Yes it's glass is etched and I even have a copy of the title when Hertz sold it to it's first private owner, and it is also listed here on the site by VIN as being the next to the last car that went to Hertz. I have only been able to find a few other examples of these cars, so they appear to be very hard to find. I really do like the car, just in a position to where I have to sale my convertible to complete the build of the SVO and I have really enjoyed my supercharged GT. I do look forward to the finished product and knowing that my hands had a large part in it. Anything that is required to be done by a professional, I am going to leave it to them, if it's something other than the paint, I'm gonna try to do most by myself. I'm currently having trouble trying to install my new headliner and headliner panel because of the stupid sunroof, lol. The sunroof pictured on the car is a new replacement, but I still have the original with the etched VIN number.Name:  15894341_1360584630661062_6626280797269138726_n.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  211.5 KB
    Last edited by 85SVOHERTZ; 01-23-2017 at 02:56 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Cool. Yep, I believe most of the Hertz SVOs are still out there. I have run across several of the 4E Sage Green and 1 9L White Hertz SVOs. The white one was down in TX. One (4E) was restored by a SVOCA member several years ago and it has changed hands several times since then. I think the value just isn't there, so plan carefully on what you spend on the car IF you do plan to sell it in the future. The Sage Green car that was fully restored and was a MCA judged car sold for $8K-$9K range several years back. I almost bought it but bought a 85.5 4E car instead. Only 4 of those were built. I sold it to a 85.5 collector a few years back for less than I paid, now it's getting restored. Just some advise, take it or leave it. Good luck with the project.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!

Wow, that worries me! I'm sitting in this one right now at about 7k and it still needs paint and weather stripping just to be a really nice driver. I was planning on putting another 7k in it to finish out the paint, weatherstripping and engine mods. I guess I need to re-evaluate. I don't understand why the money isn't there, sitting at even 1 of 60 there are tons of the other cars that bring much much more and in higher production numbers. 1 of 60 is pretty rare for a fox body especially being the Hertz aspect that makes it rare not color combiinations, there were only 60 regardless of the colors and how many survived the rental portion of their life, accidents etc...

SVO's just don't hold value as of right now. Good for those of us that like to enjoy them, bad for people looking to restore and make a buck....

Also, a friend of mine had the following in his sig line "cheap, fast, reliable; pick any too" This is especially true of SVO's in my experience.

Best of luck whatever way you proceed with your SVO.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I say drive it the way it is & learn the qualities it has before dumping a ton of money in to it..
    I sure am having fun with my 85.5. All stock...
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

FEP Senior Member

Like others have stated, just drive it and enjoy it. SVOs are not the FOX body to dump a ton of money into and try to sell for a profit. I have had several that have single to double digit production numbers and none were the big money maker. I enjoyed to drive them and honestly beat a couple of them, but then it was time to move on and you sell them for what the market will bear at that time. Again, take it or leave it. Just my advise and suggestions.
    Here is a link to the Sage Green car I mentioned above.
    http://www.svoca.com/memprofiles/85s/john-basler/

I believe almost all of the Hertz cars survived. One was stolen and parts were taken off of it but none were totaled. All were sold out of TX and went all over the country.

I have an '84 that is the lowest horsepower year along with 2 V8 60's cougars and 2 other 5.0 mustangs. The 175 HP SVO is still just as much fun to drive as the higher hp v8 cars because if the turbo mostly. I'm not a big horsepower junkie though either.

Guys, all of you have great information based from your experience, my concern for the SVO is not how much I can sell it for, I didn't buy the car to resell, I bought it to restore. But I don't want to have put 15K in a car that's not going to be worth much even when it's done, for my dollar, I'd just rather get and IRS cobra convertible for the same investment I would have. Here's my issue, I'm sitting the SVO now at 7K. It need's paint weather stripping, period just to be a nice driver car. Making the car fun to drive, based on what you guys have been saying could be 0 to 3K or more. I have drove the car quite abit and have a good understanding of the handling characteristics and power to weight ratio, it's a fun driving car with good cornering manners. My GT gets terrible gas mileage and doesn't curve as well, so I can see the advantages, plus then there's that no one is going to pass you on the road today with the same car factor. So I'm sold on the car, I just don't want to have 15K in a car that's not worth it and I don't want to have a car that sub par to my standards because it isn't worth putting the money into. So I am looking for a compromise that might make sense. I would like to put the car in a few car shows but as far as enjoying to drive it, I guess I had so many cars over the years, as I have always loved sports cars, you know conquest TSI's, 300zx twin turbos, theres been many different ones in my life over the years, so I can't say to it stands out much against some of the other cars I have owned with the exception of it's rarity.
    Last edited by 85SVOHERTZ; 01-26-2017 at 11:25 AM.

You have just learned the SVO conundrum. Entry price can be relatively inexpensive for an Ok SVO. However due to all the unique parts and limited production #'s, restoration costs can be extensive.

Someone previously said - always buy the best example you can afford rather than buy low and repair / fix / restore.

My SVO was at a $4k entry price. I have 3-4X that in the car now (including the original purchase price) and it's nothing special nor an award / show winning car. For what I have into the car now, I could have bought a really nice low mile example ($12-15k) and be ahead of the curve. Lessons learned on my part. My SVO is my 3 season daily driver and I have {mostly} enjoyed the car over the 10+ years of ownership.

If you like your car and can enjoy it with little additional outlay then you're doing good. But if you get into repaint, interior, engine work, etc., they you're better off selling this one and finding an example that meets your expectations. Otherwise you're going to be severely upside down from a money standpoint.

My $0.02.

Bottom line is there are very few cars that you can buy, restore to original, restomod, complete ground up restore and not lose money on when you sell them. This is especially true when you have to pay others to do much of the work for you such as paint and body work.

I do virtually all of my own work and I promise you that I buy all of my cars as Diamonds in the rough, basket cases, etc. that need virtually everything, but I buy them cheap. I don't own a single Fox that I paid more than $1K for when purchased. Still I would lose money on every one of them if I chose to sell them as just the parts cost alone exceed their current sale value.

I don't have any intentions in selling the cars that I have, I have spent many years accumulating them and want exactly what I have. With that said, I changed my mind and decided to I would have to factor in my driving time and fun with everyone as recouped $$ I spent on the cars and therefore taking a loss isn't as big a deal.

If you are looking at total cost into the SVO as a deciding factor, then IMHO you should sell the car for what you can and move onto something else that really gets you excited. It doesn't sound to me like the SVO is it for you. That is not a judgement, just an observation. The SVO's really have to be a labor of love as they don't bring big $$ at this time and may never. Yes, a low mileage, all original, Hertz might bring some good money but that is not what you have or most of us have. I know that my PC will never be worth Big Bucks because it was a worn out 4cyl without even the original motor. No problem, I bought it for $1K and made the car I wanted anyway. I am not concerned with keeping it original or ruining a unique car as it was already that way when I got it. Is it worth what I have into it right now . . . Maybe/Maybe Not but I love it and that is all that matters.

Last point here is not a judgment or meant to irritate, but honestly it appears you might have paid a bit too much for the SVO to start with based upon what I have seen. Not that you were "screwed" but if the car needs the paint, etc. that you say, then IMHO it wasn't worth $7K as I have seen much better examples go for that kind of money. As JTurbo mentioned above the SVO is a pain to restore due to the unique parts and the limited availability of them. If you like the SVO, drive the heck out of it as it looks pretty good in the pictures. Fix what you have to and then decide if its something you want to keep long term and invest $$ into or are you better off getting rid of it and finding something else that better fits your desires. Either way Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Agree, with JTurbo...I wish I would have bought a nice low mileage on for $8-10K...right now I am into mine for about $13K and its going to take about another $5k by the time I am done with the suspension and redoing the interior. I plan to have it for a while and drive it until it blows up! My paint job cost $7500 and I had no rust repair to do. I even pulled the car apart. I will say this the car is straight as an arrow. But, if I can't locate front marker and turn signal lenses it'll sit in the garage. I can't find any, noone repops them and I surely won't put the damaged ones back on it.

FEP Senior Member

I guess that's where I was going too. I saw the last 4E hertz car in VGC sell for $6200. If you aren't in love with the SVO, might be best to move on and get into a Mustang that YOU ARE in love with. Also, just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Bottom line is there are very few cars that you can buy, restore to original, restomod, complete ground up restore and not lose money on when you sell them. This is especially true when you have to pay others to do much of the work for you such as paint and body work.
    Could not have said it better myself.

Most of us do it for the hobby... it is something that I take great pride in and simply enjoy working on my cars.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

I too have way more into my SVO then I care to admit, I bought it 10 years ago w/58k miles all original for $4800. Today I have a lot more money in it and it is currently on jack stands getting more money thrown at it.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Guys, I think that everything that you have said is spot on. I am a V-8 Guy and I guess it just shows thru in my words. I'm not in it for the money, I have never re-couped out of a labor of love, but I try to keep the losses minimal being poor. I have a great love for the F-body cars. My dad let me drive his 85GT to my Senior Prom and a nice 85GT would be my dream fox body as that is from my personal memories of my father and my high school dream car. As far as the SVO goes, if I take the rims and tires off the car and just put the stockers back on, I would be at about 6k in the car, I have had the exhaust done, have a new headliner panel and headliner ready to install and have done interior improvements plus a new dash top. I think all the upgrades were needed. The car runs and drives good, I think since it is a Hertz car, at the 6K mark with 75K miles probably could get out from under it ok. Paint and weather stripping would make it a very nice car. I have lost tons of money on cars over the years and unlike many of you, I'm not much of a mechanic, so my cost is even higher as I have to pay for a lot of the work, but money is not my motivation. I'm terrible with money! I love fox bodies, but I'm also a sucker for rare cars as I have found that if you ever lose interest usually there is someone who is willing to take it off your hands. I have never driven or owned an SVO prior to this one, but I do miss the V8 cars. My favorite Foxbody was the 85GT, and I was a fan of the 87-92 LX 5.0 Convertible. I guess I will figure it all out in time. This forum has been very helpful in ideas and input from others that is one thing that I can be certain of. As for now, I've been searching for someone to paint the SVO and I might have got lucky, my co-worker and mustang club president who is an exceptional mechanic and painter has taken interest in my 03GT and has a 92 5.0 Vert and may have a sweet deal in the making that if I make a trade might get me a paint job at a very low cost plus get a pretty nice foxbody convertible. And while I'm not a mechanic, I have learned quite a lot about fox bodies over the years, I can replace a clutch and T-5 by myself! I learned how to do that job at an early age being broke and tearing one up! I know that's not a big deal probably to most of you guys but for me it felt like doing a major surgery!
    Last edited by 85SVOHERTZ; 01-30-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast