Close

Default Aluminum Dart 347 engine project

For sale 95% complete Dart 347 small block Ford. Photo link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1n043b5y3...rs5Qxkrta?dl=0

I've made a major change in the direction on my Mustang and am not going to finish or install this engine in the car. This is a really long post as there is a lot of unusual stuff about this engine. The main goals in its design were to maximize durability and minimize weight. The engine was not designed to make mega power. With all of the included parts, it should make around 410rwhp at 5,500rpm. The rpm range was never planned on going over 6,500. I'm going to attempt to sell this is a complete package for at least 1 month. If no one is interested in the package, then I'll entertain parting it out. Until then, any offers on parts will be ignored. All of the engine parts are located in the east bay area of northern California. Sale of the package is either by local pickup or I'll send everything by truck freight on a pallet. I am NOT going to attempt to pack up all of the individual parts and ship by UPS, Fedex, etc.

Block 31344175:

8.2" Dart 4-bolt main aluminum block. I purchased this block as a 4" bore version. I initially purchased 4" bore pistons for it and had the block bored and honed for these. Afterwards, I changed my mind and purchased 4.125" pistons. The block needs to be bore and honed for these pistons. The cylinder walls are slightly rusty from being in storage. The hole in the block where the oil filter adapter screws in needs to be tapped. It came this was from Dart. These threads were not cut correctly. There is an extraneous boss on the front passenger side of the block that has been cut off to save some weight. My machinist didn't like the concentricity of the line bore on the engine and redid it to make it right.

Crankshaft 7-302-3250-5400-2123-3:

Scat 3.25" stroke forged zero balance. Like all Scat cranks, the nose of the crank is slightly oversized. This is to ensure that the damper hub has a lot of press fit. That don't tell you this until after you purchase the crank. I have honed the damper to give about 0.001" of interference. Installing the timing chain gear is going to be difficult. You may have to have the ID of the gear machined or ground to do this. I would NOT try to press it on.

Connecting Rods 619-661-6477:

These are Crower 5.4" rods. At 465g these are the lightest steel rods I was able to find in this length. Crower puts an rpm limit on them of 7,000 and a power limit of 450hp, but with the lightweight pistons, pins and the short stroke of this engine, I know that they could be used to a higher rpm.

Pistons SBF165125F06:

These are Mahle 4.125" flat tops with valve reliefs. They are quite light at 452g. They are coated with a dry film lubricant to keep the skirts from scuffing. They are a good, modern F1 style piston with a short pin and pin walls close together for less weight and greater stiffness. The ring lands do not intersect the pin bore. They include lightweight 99g pins and the standard rings that Mahle includes with them. The bobweight for the rotating assembly is 1,465.3g. All of the pistons and rods have been weight matched and the crank has been zero balanced.

Damper 918924:

This is an ATI damper with the larger diameter they offer to dampen better. The hub already has a Ford 36-1 EDIS trigger wheel mounted on it. The hub has been honed for the crankshaft. This assembly should be zero balanced as the trigger wheel has one missing tooth. Nothing has been done to correct for this yet. The crank underdrive pulley is included.

Timing chain CS3071:

This is a Rollmaster model with a thrust bearing between the camshaft and the timing gear. I've added a forward thrust bearing to this assembly by modifying a Danny Bee Racing part.

Timing chain cover:

This is an aftermarket unit for a late model reverse rotation water pump. It has mounting bosses for the EDIS wheel pickup in it. The pickup has been mounted and aligned to the wheel. Also included is a Edelbrock heavy duty water pump with aluminum underdrive pulley.

Cylinder heads AFR 185:

These have been milled to have a chamber volume of 56.8cc with the included valves. With a 0.040" thick gasket, a 8.190" deck height (0.039" squish), the engine will have a compression ratio of 10.8:1. This is based upon actual measured values of all of the parts in the engine. The block has not been decked yet. I was planning on doing that after I did a final assembly to check the deck height. The heads have been sitting in storage for a long time so that they need a lite valve grinding on the seats to remove any surface rust.

No AFR sourced valve train parts are used in the heads.

Ferrea hollow stem F1007P and F1012P valves are included. Comp Cams 26120 beehive springs, steel spring seats, 745 steel retainers, and Manley 13162-8 steel keepers. No titanium for long life.

Crane 36532-16 hydraulic roll lifters and a Comp Cams XE276HR cam (35-328- is included. This cam is optimized for the operating rpm of the engine and the valve lift is low enough that the valve springs will last 100k miles without failure. Valve lift is 0.544".

I purchased a set of Jessel 1.7:1 shaft mount rocker arms for the engine. They didn't fit properly, so I fixed the geometry by building my own rocker arm stands, in aluminum of course, and modifying the rocker arms a little bit. These need a tiny bit of work to finish. The geometry is now perfect.

Intake manifold:

This is a Holley System Max that has been significantly modified. All of the surfaces on the upper manifold have been thinned out on a mill. The EGR area has been completely machined off. The lower model has been turned into an airgap model. A little bit of TIG welding needs to be done on the upper and lower to finish them. They weigh about 9.5 lbs less than the stock Holley parts. I would not use them with N2O or forced induction. I have not finished fabrication of a valley plate for the engine to seal off the lifter galley. The plate has been cut. I've machined one of the rails to seal the plate to the cylinder head, but not the second rail. One had has 2-56 holes drilled and tapped for the rail on its side. The other head needs the same drilling and tapping as well as the rails on the front and back of the block. Some type of box will need to be welded onto the middle of the valley plate to house a filter and PCV valve. With the valve in this location, the intake will not suck up oil.

Included is a 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, 30lbs/hr injectors, injector rails, FPR, .

Headers:

A new set of BBK shorty headers. These had the area on the sides of the header tubes milled of where they meet the flanges. Then a wedge was driven into the header tubes to spread the tubes out to their full width. Then the tubes were rewelded back to the flanges and the headers were receramic coated. This completely gets rid of the crimped area on the side of each header tube for bolt head clearance. With the supplied 16 point ARP bolts, an open end wrench or socket can still be put onto each bolt without interference.

Oilpan:

Moroso unknown part number with dipstick and tube. This pan fits this engine with 4-bolt main caps. The engine comes with both a cast iron and aluminum standard volume oil pump.

Ignition system:

This engine was being assembled to use a Ford EDIS system to eliminate the distributor. I have the camshaft position sensor assembly (disassembled at the moment) along with the phasing tool for it, a custom aluminum bracket to mount the coilpacks, at least four coilpacks, two EDIS modules, probably two wiring harness' and custom Taylor plug wires that are already finished. I also have two sets of iridium plugs which are both deep reach. I was going to machine some of the nose off of these to remove the threads. This would enable the electrode to be closer to the center of the combustion chamber for faster combustion. Included is an A9L EEC-IV with a datalogging Tweecer RT. This makes tuning and getting the EDIS ignition operating easy.

There are Clevite CB-634H rod and MS-590H main bearings included. Virtually every single fastener has in the engine has been replaced with an ARP part. These include, water pump and timing chain bolts, the oilpump, balancer, intake manifold, header bolts, oilpan, head studs, etc. The engine includes every single gasket except possibly the head gaskets to assemble it. In every case, I've used the best possible gasket available. There are NO paper gaskets in this engine. Most of the gaskets are Victor Reinz.

There are a few used parts in the engine. Water pump, injector rails, water tube on intake manifold, fuel injectors, MAF. I'm pretty sure that everything else listed above is new. I reserve the right to throw in any extra SBF engine parts in with the other parts I have a few distributors and other parts that should all go with this.

On some forums, you can't edit posts after a certain time period has elapsed. Given that look for additions, updates, etc in my posts below. If someone needs photos of something in particular, tell me and I'll add them as soon as I can. Unless you are buying the engine, all communication should be done in this thread. Don't send me a PM to ask questions.

There is over $20k in parts in this engine. I have already spent a lot of time fixing the problems that typical aftermarket parts have, had things balanced, machined, etc, etc. Given that, the package price is $10k. You can part out whatever you don't need. Buyer pays shipping by truck freight.
    Last edited by Jack Hidley; 01-21-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

A beautiful list of components you have there, best of luck on your sale
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Block, intake manifold, headers and oilpan are all sold.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Nice work. Bearing in mind the latest info on how well internally balanced steel cranks and Jessel rocjer gear are on 566 hp gross stroker stock blocks, hope the crank gets uplifted for a good price.

Thanks for the nice way you communicated the info...well done. Ive gone back to this post again and again, getting some great info.

Someone buy the zero unbalance steel crank and make a great 331!