Close

Default 1986 Mustang Correct Jack Handle Location

I have a 1986 Mustang GT that I bought last year. When I bought the car the spare tire and jack were bouncing around in the back cavity for the spare under the carpet. I figured out how to mount the jack and the spare tire and it looks like I have all the parts but I don't know how exactly how the jack handle should be stowed away.

Attached are photos of the storage cavity and the parts. I'm not sure if this is normal but it looks like my Mustang came with factory wheel locks. It appears the key was in the paper bag attached to the jack iron with a stainless cable. Neither the locks or the original wheels came with the car. The cable is attached to a stainless piece of wire wound around the jack iron. Does this wire go under the tab in the well where the hook goes? Looks like it could based on the jacking instruction tag on the spare tire cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by 86Stripper; 01-21-2017 at 01:03 AM.

Heh if you figure it out let me know, I could never get the jack back in on my 81 after I took it out.
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

This seems like a trivial task but became much more complex than it looks. Feel like a bozo for not being able to correctly figure this out. No real literature or pictures of how this goes in any of the manuals or on the jacking instruction sticker.

I figured out that the jack need to be expanded to about 10 inches as it says on the instruction sticker. Basically as wide as the inside of the wheel upside down as in the attached wheel picture. But, where and how does the jack handle fit. I can just stick it under the tire but does the stainless wire coil go someplace special like under the hook tab in the well?

I'm hoping someone has the same parts and can tell me how it goes. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 86Stripper; 01-21-2017 at 01:19 AM.

@86 I tried every single way I could think of to get that damn jack back in there, and it's not happening. I just took the whole damn thing out haha
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

FEP Supporter

IIRC the jack does not go fully down. It has to be open slightly.

I could not figure out the lug nut wrench though and have it sitting loose on top
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Silly question but are you laying the spare tire in face down or face up? IIRC the lug wrench is clipped in to the floor clip, the spare is laid in face down (you can put the hold down bolt in first or fish it through the hole after to engage the hook), expand the jack out slightly and lay over the hold down bolt then screw on the hold down.

The wire attached to the lug key which then snapped into the spring on the wrench. My memory is a little rusty because I sold my '86 GT in '87 (I picked it up new in Dec '85). Hope this helps!

The wheel lays in the well upside down. The jack lays inside the back side of the wheel opened up so the hook comes up through the wheel center and thru the big washer looking thing on the jack handle that you fold over the side of the jack with the whole thing held down tight by the wing nut.
    The lug wrench lays underneath the edge of the tire where the piece of black noise damper material is at. This way nothing rattles and all stays tight and in place.
    Last edited by dagenham; 01-21-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks all. It took me awhile but I figured out how the spare and jack goes in. When I bought the car the jack was completely closed (down) so that the hole in the crank handle with the washer would not line up. Opened it up and put the tire in face down and the the hole lined up with the tab on the floor and the hook went through the hole in the jack in the back of the wheel and the plastic nut tightened everything down. I figured that the lug nut wrench must lay on the black noise damper but that does not work well with the stainless coil on wrench. Just wondered if anyone had some insight and if the coil and tag bag were factory installed. I was thinking about just taking them off and sticking the lug wrench under the tire but since I'm sort of a nut about correct I had a hard time with that. Anyone any more ideas? If I get a chance over the next few days I'll take so photos of my install.

Yes the bag and cable are factory.

dagenham, Did all of the 1986 GTs come with the bag and cable with wheel locks or was it an option? Was the wheel lock actually attached to the cable at one time or just in the bag? I bought an 1989 LX 5.0 new. No wheel locks with it so surprised to see them for 1986.

Anyone else have any photos of how the lug wrench should be installed? The rest of it I have handled.

A couple years ago, I looked at an '82 GT locally listed on C/L and it had the wheel locks & key in a cloth bag with a Ford part number laying in the spare tire well.

Mike

FEP Super Member

The key goes in the lanyard .
    It is stored in the coiled half loop .
    It just sits under the tire , does not attach to anything to store .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Forgot about the washer on the jack handle, thanks for pointing that out Dagenham. The envelope simply held the registration card, not the "key". The lanyard went around it (the key), and it clipped to the coiled spring (as pointed out by ashley). If they had 10 hole rims they came with the locking lug nuts, not just GT's since it was an optional rim for non-GT's. While I don't have my '86 anymore, I STILL have the window sticker and original sales brochure!
    Last edited by JKWilson61; 01-23-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Your welcome. That's why we are sll here. To help each other out.

My tbird has the locks and key in a manilla envelope with a big red sticker and a ford part number. The cablr lanyard is attached to the tire iron even though the key and locks have never been used.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I'm still having a hard time visualizing how the lug wrench fits under the tire with the spring on it. It is pretty big. Does the coil go on the outside of the tire? I can't see how it goes under the tire wheel which is face down. Anyone have any pictures?

Pretty sure the jack, wrench and tire have never been out of either my '82 or '85. I can try to get a picture of both for you when I get home later this week.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Thanks sowaxeman I really would appreciate a picture when you find the time.

Quite by accident I was going through some paperwork at home and came across the package of documents that came with my GT when I purchased it. In the package was the wheel lock information that came with the car. Attached are photos.

The first and third photos are of the bag that the material came in. It is a reinforced manila envelope with the Ford part number on one side and a clear plastic mailing type envelope on the back. The material shown in the other photos was in the clear plastic envelope when I purchased the car. The material includes four items:

1. Paper notice to owner that the dealer was to hang on the windshield wiper stalk

2. Assembly instruction sheet for the windshield wiper stalk tag and the decal for the fiber board cover over the spare tire. I think this may have been in the clear plastic envelope attached to the back of the manila envelope.

3. Dealer installation instructions sheet for the wheel locks. Note that there may have been extra wheel weights included to compensate for the extra weight of the wheel lock. This sheet describes how to install them and also notes the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) number that describes how to install the lock key and the wheel nut wrench. The TSB number looks like: TSB 82-21-8-S. This is consistent with other posters who have noted these locking nuts as early as 1982.

4. Decal for dealer to install next to the jacking instructions on the fiber board cover. This cover with jacking instructions is shown early in this post.

Looks like all this was factory and the locking lug nuts may have been provided from 1982 - 1986.

Now the question: Does anybody have a copy of TSB 82-21-8-S or know where I can get one? I'd like to see if I installed my lug nut wrench correctly. My installation is shown in the next post.

Name:  IMG_1321R.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  99.2 KBName:  IMG_1322R.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  136.3 KBName:  IMG_1320R.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  116.6 KBName:  IMG_1324R.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  107.5 KB

BTD and 82GTforME here is how I finally installed my spare tire, jack and lug nut wrench.

1. I expanded the jack to 10" as the jacking instructions called for. I tried various lengths but 10" seemed to be the best.

2. I installed the tire in the well as shown and installed the hook in the attachment tab in the well.

3. I put the jack in the back of the wheel as shown. I tried various positions and none really seemed good until all of a sudden the jack just dropped down into position in the back on the wheel. Then I noticed that what look like two green dots on the back of the wheel lined up with the screw of the jack. Could this be a code for the assemblers at the plant? Do others have these colors on their wheels?

4. For the lug nut wrench I tried various locations. I finally laid the lug nut wrench on the floor of the well as shown. As others have noted I installed it over the black sealer tape although I do not think this tape was installed for this purpose. As seen in the photo it looks like the tape covers over or seals a hole in the well. Look for the indent in the tape. Then I installed the wheel and tire and the jack as shown and turned the nut end of the handle up so that it was not under the tire. To get the tire to lay down as low as possible the handle of the lug nut wrench needs to be as far away from the bulge of the tire as possible so it is just held in place. Otherwise the thickness of the handle will raise the tire and the fiber board cover will not lay flat. This requires a bit of trial and error to find just the right spot. With the nut end of the wrench against the tire if it moves a bit it hits against the tire and should not rattle. This may not be the factory way but it worked for me with no rattles yet.

5. To get the fiber board cover with the metal reinforcement strip to lay without rattles I bent the metal part up slightly in middle. This was easy to do and put tension on the edges so that when the cover was in place with the insulation and carpet the edges of the fiber board cover lay down solidly against the metal and would not rattle.

As I noted earlier: What a long hassle for what appeared to be (or should be) a pretty simple task. Glad it is over and I hope I never have to take it out. I had a 1985 LX that I never took the spare out in the whole time I owned it. Thank goodness. Although then at least I would have had an example of how it went in before I started.

Hope this helps.

Name:  IMG_1329R.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1326R.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  87.4 KBName:  IMG_1332R.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  54.4 KBName:  IMG_1333R.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  50.0 KB

Just a note to say that my car was delivered to and sold in Canada so some instructions are in both English and French. Not likely for USA delivered and sold cars. The paper notice to owner for the windshield wiper stalk has French on the other side. I think the instructions that are in English only were for the assembly line workers.