Close

Default 351W harmonic balancer

What size bolts are required to attach pulley to 351 W balancer. I have 3/8x16 but they get tight about a quarter of the way in.
    I have a V Belt system from CVF Racing, it came with 3/8x16 bolts for attaching pulley. I don't want to force anything.
    Let me know what all ya all think.
    Thanks, Alan

The wrong bolt thread wouldn't likely start at all, let alone go 1/4 of the way in. Sounds like rusty threads on the bolts or the tapped holes in the balancer. Check/clean up the bolt and/or balancer tapped hole threads if you have a tap & die set. If you don't have a set, a small, cheap set can be bought that will include the common size of 3/8-NC. That size sounds right, and everything all over the place says 3/8-NC (-16 (x 1.00" length)) for SBF crank pulley to balancer.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Cut a notch in the end of the bolt with a hack saw and chase the treads if nothing else.

careful with cheap taps. Sometimes the make sloppy threads and your bolts don't stay tight.

a little lock tight will go a long ways.

FEP Member

Likely old loctite in the threads holding you up;definately run a tap thru the holes and use new blue loctite on the bolts.

Thanks, I bought a quality tap. Will try toady.