Close

Default 88 302 efi to carb

Anyone have a definite parts list that i would need to "swap" an efi engine to carb? dropping a 302 in my 4cyl car but the engine ill likely be buying is an efi engine, and i wish to run a carburetor and avoid computer shenanigans. advice? thanks!

The nomal hi pressure pump will kill a carb, its a danger, and you need a 100% safe system. but there are options. One is a low pressure in tank pump.

Or just a mechanical fuel pump, but they aren't always drilled for one.

There is a way of bleed back, but its not an elegant situation.

Read a few posts first.

Your man to talk to is Walkin-Tall.

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-thread/page8

Go to page 5 on the fuel pump regulation down to carb level.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-fuel-pump-use

Another is quickshift

FEP Super Member

Your car originally efi ?
    You can buy a regulator to get the fuel pressure down .
    Distributor will need to be swapped to an 85 model , to work with the roller cam .
    I paid 65 bucks for a reman unit that came complete , drop on and put your rotor and cap back on and go .

The rack is a lot easier to change with the engine out , if you want to upgrade , would be a good time .

I believe the Gt , SVO, and Turbo Coupe , had the quicker rack , but they will all interchange .
    The pumps are pretty much the same on all models , and can be used with the correct brackets.

Brakes , your present set up will work , not the best , but will work.
    I went a different route , hydroboost , used all Cobra parts, I had a donor .
    The wrecking yards should have everything you need at a good price .
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 01-18-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Intake, carb, fpr with a return port if it has a fuel pump in the tank. If not then get a 6psi electric fuel pump. I would also change out the dizzy for a GM style HEI. There dirt cheap and only takes a 12v power supply to run

HEI distributors belong hidden at the rear of GMs & Chevrolets, lol. IMO, they're space hogs and hideous up front on a Ford. The only thing required, for no-nonsense simplicity with these cars for ignition, is a GM HEI 4-pin module. This route is dead-nuts simple, reliable, and provides ample lightning. You use the TFI coil already on the car, a Duraspark II distributor (cheaper than dirt) for your engine and compatible with your steel/iron camshaft, and no resistance with the key wire is needed as when a Duraspark II module is also employed. Nothing else required but a relay wired in to trigger/run the coil and module with full system running charging voltage in Start/Run. See my build thread below, page 5, post #110.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1806890
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Save your EFI stuff and sell it or give it away.

Personally I would not convert to a carb because I'm done working on them but to each their own.

Thermoquad linkage 4bl was one of the best changes I ever made to my DOOE fuelie head 351W when I had it. Had a Holley 650 DP, had SO much trouble with popping out the carb when cold due to 360 degree rise intake. No choke setting would solve it but a different carb did. Carter AFB was a marginally better carb for me in terms of cold start manners on a cold day but after hours of tuning jets, etc, best economy came from the Thermoquad.

Keep it simple. All you need is a carb intake, a decent carb, and the 85 style dizzy. Use a throttle cable from a 85 mustang v8. All can be found used and cheap.