Close

Default window regulator question

On the end of the window mech. there is a plastic square that rides on the bottom of the window. Is that piece replaceable?

The I would have to see a pic to get a better description. There is a plastic bushing that is through bolted into the door glass with threads out one side. They are replaceable. However, very fragile. The bushing should have a nut inside of it and the bushing is a two peice deal. You will have to pull the glass in order to change it. A pair of channel locks and usually you can un bolt the two fairly easily. Also there is a style that is pressed into the door glass you can thread the bolt that holds the glass to the regulator and gently work it back and forth until it comes out. Hope this helps

If you are talking about the square shaped bushing on the end of the arm that rides in the "u" channel guide that is attached to the glass, I'm positive that is not replaceable so the whole regulator arm assembly would need replaced.

Depending on the condition of the one you have, it might be serviceable. I just rebuilt my whole door/window assemblies and they have never worked better. On mine, the square shaped bushing on the end of the arm was not broken but it was pretty much locked into one position. I cleaned out the socket with cleaners, brushes and re-lubed the bushing socket with PTFE grease. It now articulates pretty well with the movement of the arm and has less binding and chatter.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

If you are talking about the square shaped bushing on the end of the arm that rides in the "u" channel guide that is attached to the glass, I'm positive that is not replaceable so the whole regulator arm assembly would need replaced.
    that is the piece i am referring too. mine isn't only bad its gone my car had an interior fire and melted the drivers side square. i have doors that im pulling all the needed parts but it has the electric mech. where as mine has manual and i wanted to stay manual.

Thank you guys for the help!!!!
    Is the window crank mech. t-top specific? i know the glass is.

Quote Originally Posted by kubitzford View Post
    that is the piece i am referring too. mine isn't only bad its gone my car had an interior fire and melted the drivers side square. i have doors that im pulling all the needed parts but it has the electric mech. where as mine has manual and i wanted to stay manual.

Thank you guys for the help!!!!
    Is the window crank mech. t-top specific? i know the glass is.
    Sorry to hear about the fire!

In answer to the mechanisms, I'm 99% sure that the t-top cars used the same ones as the convertibles. The hard top car door parts are different from what I recall.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

In answer to the mechanisms, I'm 99% sure that the t-top cars used the same ones as the convertibles. The hard top car door parts are different from what I recall.
    well the convertibles are much easier to find so thats good news. thanks