Close

Default 85-86 seat latches

Hey Guys,
    I did a search and I have come up with conflicting info. My 85 GT seats flip forward without having to pull up the little lever in the back. Some say thats the way they are but why would the lever be there if it didnt do anything. Is there a fix for this. I havent pulled them apart to have a look yet. Also the driver seat tilts backwards on its own sometimes as if the catch skips or doesnt engage properly. I read that there are some bolts that get loose so I will investigate once I pull it out. It is parked for the winter so figured I would ask here first before digging in. Thanks for the replies.

Mike

On the three 86GTs (2 hatch, one vert) and two 89's (one GT one LX sport vert) I've been around the Recaro seats on, the lever on the back of the seats didn't really do anything.

On the 1993 factory leather ragtop seats I sourced to replace the GT seats in my son's 86GT vert, they do. The seats lock in place which is awesome for solo road course stuff.

The hinges all looked the same. The internals on the 86&89 vs 93 were different.

FEP Power Member

The latches on the early cars were for impact latching. Hard to tell if they actually work. I'm sure they have a term for them like today's "anti-submarining seats".
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Now it makes sense
    When I had my seat out to repair the ripped sheet metal I couldn't figure out what good that lever did but I noticed it "worked" when the seat was half upside down. (From '83 GT hatchback)

That is, with the seat like this
    Name:  seat latch.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  70.3 KB

gravity trips the mechanism "forward" and the seat back won't fold forward.
    With the seat in the normal position it would take an impact to trip the mechanism "forward".
    Last edited by jessesandy; 01-18-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Yup, learned that reading my owner's manual. Also the plastic thingy on the bottom of the shoulder straps are for the rear passengers to swing the seat belt out of the way of the door way with feet.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Thanks for the replies guys, so it sounds like the latches are for looks only. The passenger seat flops forward under hard braking, hopefully I will never find out what happens in an impact! Any ideas on the recliner mechanism skipping?

Mike
    Last edited by FoxFords&FFR's; 01-19-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling!

Had to learn the hard way with my 81 T Top when it was totaled the inertial locks on the seat belts and
    seat backs worked.
    I was hit by a Toyota wagon that bounced off a Caddy it hit running a red light.
    I felt totally contained during the impact.
    The driver had bounced off the other car and hit me with the driver side of her car.
    I still can recall the image of her head hitting the b pillar 33 years later.
    The Mustang had all it's glass unbroken and the windshield was the only thing left in the other car.
    It sucks that it was my first new car and only 2 years old.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Get hinges from any 1993's. Those are functional lock seats.

I will give the later latches a try. See if I can swap them over. Thanks

Mike

Should fit right over, did the same thing with my 84, made me feel a bit safer knowing the seat was locked instead of hoping it would
    1984 Oregon State Police SSP
    1985 Oregon State Police SSP
    1966 Mustang Coupe w/ 351w
    1969 Mach 1 'S' Code 390
    2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT