Close

Default Installing new head unit in an 85 gt , confused with new wiring harness

I have a 85 gt with the analog premium sound. The stock speaker harness appears to only have the left front and left rear wires running from the head unit up to i would assume the amp. So when i wire up the new harness, do i only connect those and it will work its magic and everything will work? I have installed a decent amount of stereos in cars and this one is the worst. Getting the stock unit out was damn near impossible! Thanks guys

Based on my limited experience with premium sound systems that have external amps, you might be able to get away with wiring the new head unit directly to the speakers as long as they don't have some weird proprietary impedance. Otherwise, you can use line level converters (I don't even know if that's their technical name) to send the signal from the head unit to the amp, and keep the amp in the system.

In my experience the new models of head units are more than capable of running most speakers without issues these days. Of course that assumes you aren't trying to run a huge subwoofer and a ton of speakers. I don't believe there is any benefit of running through the original amp in the vehicle.

You should be able to buy a harness adapter that will allow you to connect the stereo to the OEM wiring. You will most likely have to disconnect the speakers from the amp and then connect that pigtail to your adapter. That will just delete or bypass the OEM amp and making wiring quick and simple. Of course if you want better quality sound from new speakers, then new better quality speaker wiring would be in order too. The OEM stuff is subpar at best.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller