Close

Default Cross roads , Capri or sn95?

Man oh man, Do I ever need advice.. been gathering parts for my Capri for what feels like forever. My goal has always been to build something remanisant of the Capri pic I (hopefully) uploaded. Picked up a v6 96 mustang with a t5 trans it's beat up but the interior is clean and it drives nice I bought the car for the tranny but after driving it 30 miles home it has all the creature comforts the Capri doesn't. I figured to use the sn95 chassis instead of the Capri. My wife's opinion is the Capri is way more my style than the mustang. So my newest thought is to strip every thing off the mustang. Interior, suspension, ECT .and make, modify or force it to fit the Capri. Any one have any experience or advice on doing a conversion of such?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Buy the sn and tell me where the capri is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the capri. I'm doing the same thing right now. Scrapping the 95 into a 79 cobra. Alot of it bolts right on, some stuff can be "adjusted "
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 01-16-2017 at 10:15 AM.

You can add the creature comforts to the Capri. But please do not do an interior swap, they never end up looking right IMO.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Quote Originally Posted by jjltthomas View Post
    Buy the sn and tell me where the capri is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol I have both at my shop but I can't seem to shake the love for the Capri. The part that seems strange to me is there is 3 mustangs to every Capri made for the year I have (1980) and even less for the later years, but it seems like they are overlooked 9 out of 10 times for the mustang

I will post my .02 for what its worth! As a previous owner of a 98 Cobra, I have time in both vehicles.

I will say that the 98 Cobra did ride well and had some better creature comforts than most stock Foxes. The 4.6 DOHC loved to rev and with my Magnaflow exhaust the sound was pure Heaven to me! I loved the smoothness the Mod motor had and it was a blast to run thru the gears.

Now with that said, I was never really in love the the body style. Not a bad looking car, but just never really "Did It" for me. I guess if it had been the 99-04 style I would have liked it more, but . . . Who knows.

As for the interior, yes it was better in some ways, but again I never LOVED it! Not really sure why, but I just didn't I sat lower in the car and the door comes up higher which I didn't like. Again hard to explain, but it just didn't have the same feeling for me that a Fox does. So bottom line is I ended up selling the Cobra to focus on my Foxes.

The Capri is awesome due to the uniqueness and the rarity of them these days. Very seldom will you run into another one at the cruise in or car show. That is sad, but cool too! You won't be lost in a sea of look alikes.

The SN95 suspension is a great swap for any Fox IMHO as it gives you the 5 lugs with A LOT more wheel options to choose from. The brakes are much better and easier to work on IMHO. The SN95 rear shocks are better than the Fox shocks too. The rack and pinion has some handling and steering feel improvements too, although it requires an adapter shaft to make it work with the Fox steering column.

The SN95 interior in a Fox . . Just doesn't do it for me for all the same reasons I didn't like it in the Cobra. Yes, it can be done, although its not a bolt in affair. To me its not worth the effort and headaches. Sound deadening materials, good seals & gaskets, good interior upholstery and the Fox can be just as nice and comfortable as the SN95 if not more so. Besides again IMHO the instrument set up in the 4 Eye is the best of the Fox generations. Although I do admit the center console of the 87-93 is much better and is worth the trouble to adapter to the Four eyes.

I will caution you that the V6 T5 can be made to work with a V8, but it is not as strong as a V8 T5 and will not hold up long term especially if you are running any decent HP. Also the SN95 V8 T5 use a longer input shaft than the Fox T5 so you have to use the SN95 bellhousing or swap out the input shaft for a Fox input.

Bottom line IMHO is use the SN95 as a parts donor to the Capri and build the Bad A$$ Capri you know you want!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I will post my .02 for what its worth! As a previous owner of a 98 Cobra, I have time in both vehicles.

I will say that the 98 Cobra did ride well and had some better creature comforts than most stock Foxes. The 4.6 DOHC loved to rev and with my Magnaflow exhaust the sound was pure Heaven to me! I loved the smoothness the Mod motor had and it was a blast to run thru the gears.

Now with that said, I was never really in love the the body style. Not a bad looking car, but just never really "Did It" for me. I guess if it had been the 99-04 style I would have liked it more, but . . . Who knows.

As for the interior, yes it was better in some ways, but again I never LOVED it! Not really sure why, but I just didn't I sat lower in the car and the door comes up higher which I didn't like. Again hard to explain, but it just didn't have the same feeling for me that a Fox does. So bottom line is I ended up selling the Cobra to focus on my Foxes.

The Capri is awesome due to the uniqueness and the rarity of them these days. Very seldom will you run into another one at the cruise in or car show. That is sad, but cool too! You won't be lost in a sea of look alikes.

The SN95 suspension is a great swap for any Fox IMHO as it gives you the 5 lugs with A LOT more wheel options to choose from. The brakes are much better and easier to work on IMHO. The SN95 rear shocks are better than the Fox shocks too. The rack and pinion has some handling and steering feel improvements too, although it requires an adapter shaft to make it work with the Fox steering column.

The SN95 interior in a Fox . . Just doesn't do it for me for all the same reasons I didn't like it in the Cobra. Yes, it can be done, although its not a bolt in affair. To me its not worth the effort and headaches. Sound deadening materials, good seals & gaskets, good interior upholstery and the Fox can be just as nice and comfortable as the SN95 if not more so. Besides again IMHO the instrument set up in the 4 Eye is the best of the Fox generations. Although I do admit the center console of the 87-93 is much better and is worth the trouble to adapter to the Four eyes.

I will caution you that the V6 T5 can be made to work with a V8, but it is not as strong as a V8 T5 and will not hold up long term especially if you are running any decent HP. Also the SN95 V8 T5 use a longer input shaft than the Fox T5 so you have to use the SN95 bellhousing or swap out the input shaft for a Fox input.

Bottom line IMHO is use the SN95 as a parts donor to the Capri and build the Bad A$$ Capri you know you want!
    Well said,

Think about the 86 and every year and brand of car that came before it from any brand going all the way back to the early 60's. There was a massive restyle of interior done in 1987 - the likes of which we haven't really seen from any manufacturer before or since. The set a trend and everyone else rapidly started following suite.

The charm of a classic car is the shapes and noises and feels of a classic car. There is no shortage of SN95 era Mustangs or the look alike or wannabes that exist. Strip them for parts and bury them.

Personally I enjoy killing them for parts every bit as much as I enjoyed killing them on the streets. Even the 99 up cars with PI heads were no match for the old 5.0L HO cars factory stock vs factory stock. It takes a lot to outdo the torque curve of the fox body. Nothing better than tractoring away from each light effortlessly vs revving and waiting for the power to come in

That's not to say a fox can't rev- the aftermarket sees to it now. Intake throttle body and headers are a laugh a minute by themselves. Then throw heads and cam at it. Build yourself an old pushrod v8 with EFI that revs past 7000. Shift it at 6750 as a safety measure, and then you'll have a memorable car with great looks and a sound that is hard to top.

Rip every part you can off that SN95 and leave it for dead. or sell your Capri to one of us and we'll show you what it could have been....

Exactly which creature comforts are you looking to add? Many can be accomplished with other dash swaps or tasteful custom setups that will fit better in the Capri.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Exactly which creature comforts are you looking to add? Many can be accomplished with other dash swaps or tasteful custom setups that will fit better in the Capri.
    I was thinking as far as creature comforts maybe doing a dash swap, and power windows. Modernize the interior some. The dash swap is purly because I already own it. Lol
    I have decided the Capri is a much better car to build purly on personal taste. I have had 5 foxes and 3 out of them have been capris although I liked the mustangs I always told myself to bad it isn't a Capri. Even know the sn95 isn't a fox I think I will feel the same way
    Last edited by bel-mor; 01-17-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Blog Entries

I myself really prefer the Capri. However, looking at your comments and apparent likes, have you ever considered an early Fox Tbird? More refined, better sound deadening, same upgrade potential, and the early Thunderbird looks great done up
    Name:  Tcpaintedd.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  109.9 KB.
    Last edited by brianj; 01-17-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

The 94-98 t-5 is rated at 265ft/lbs while the 99-04 has all the improvents of the 94-95gt and then some. Basically a 94-98 v-6 t-5 = fox non world class and 99-04 is just as good if not better then a fox world class.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    I myself really prefer the Capri. However, looking at your comments and apparent likes, have you ever considered an early Fox Tbird?
    Never really been a big t bird fan. My Insperation for the sn95 was a few things, mostly me just being lazy.
    Second was they have massive wheel wells compared to a fox. Been gathering Ford junk for what feels like forever to put that thing together and the sn95 just seemed like the easy way to an end (so to speak).

Cool. From what I've heard, the trick of that dash swap is cutting the dash to fit the Fox cowl, yet keeping the defrost vents. Personally, I don't see why you couldn't cut it to fit the way you want, and then add some custom vents for the defrost.

Power windows can be done with aftermarket stuff too. I installed an eBay kit on my car and it works great. You may be able to make the SN95 parts fit, I'm not sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual