Close

Default Straight Line Four Eyes

I thought we could use thread dedicated to early Foxes in drag racing. I'll post pics as I find them along with the story, if I know it. I make no guarantees as to accuracy, so if I'm wrong about a particular car, don't hesitate to correct me. I'd like this to eventually become a repository of knowledge on Ford's return to racing in the 80's and the Four Eye's place in that history, something like the Thunderbolt thread on The HAMB.

Name:  1986winternationals19.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  113.7 KB
    This is an 85 GT running Super Stock at the 86 Winternats. The story I've heard is that the car was damaged in transport and the decision was made to take it racing. The rumor is that this car was later purchased by Gene Deputy and morphed into the Texas Turbo Anteater car. If so, it still exists on the match race circuit down in Texas.
    Name:  85-mustang-vert-wheelie.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  139.6 KB
    85 GT convertible running Super Stock. I know nothing about this car.
    Name:  smith_rickie_1982_2.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  162.9 KB
    Rickie Smith's 82 GT Pro Stocker.
    Name:  1381522077736.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  50.2 KB
    The Bray and Gillam 83 GT Super Stocker. Bray and Gillam were old school racers, best known for campaigning one of the original 50 "135" 68 CJ Mustangs. This 83 was one of the first (if not the first) SS/GT cars built; it was bought new by Loyd Bray and immediately converted for track duty. Still exists, gathering dust in the back of Gillam's shop.
    Name:  dynodon_18.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  33.4 KB
    Dyno Don Nicholson and his 79 Mustang Pro Stocker.

One of my favorites.....

Attachment 108362

Attachment 108363
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

86 Summit Ford Dominator at the 1986 ADRA Summer Nationals at KCIR in Kansas City. Believe Driver was Randy League.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfannoz View Post
    86 Summit Ford Dominator at the 1986 ADRA Summer Nationals at KCIR in Kansas City. Believe Driver was Randy League.
    Any idea if this car still exists, Steve? Also, I recall seeing pics of a black 82 GT with "Summit Ford Drag Team" lettered on the rear quarters. Any info on that one?

FEP Senior Member

The white 85 Mustang convertible Super Stocker belongs to Gary Summers, who also races a similar white 85 Convert in Stock Eliminator. Don`t know how many of you guys are old enough to remember when Mercury and Firestone teamed up to build a 82 Mercury Capri drag car, to showcase Firestones new street and strip radial tires. The Capri was to be given away by Firestone and Ford Motor Company during the 1982 NHRA season, via drawing from mail in applications that were provided in several different car magazine ads in Hot Rod, Car Craft etc. Baseball star and noted car collector Reggie Jackson made a couple of passes in the Capri, at Pomona if I recall correctly. Anyhow, the Capri was won by Ron Nickels, an Oldsmobile bracket racer from California, who kept the car for quite some time. A while back, Portland Oregon area Ford racer Larry Kelly purchased the Capri, and it can be seeing racing regularily at Portland and Woodburn Dragstrip. The Capri is still wearing its original white with red stripe paint job (with the Firestone and Mercury Motorsports lettering removed). I saw the car at my local track , Mission Raceway in BC Canada last summer, and again when I was racing my Fairmont at Woodburn OR, and looked the car over, and talked at length with Larry Kelly. At first I just thought that it was a very nice 83-86 Capri, as it has the bubble hatch and recessed tail lights. Thats when Kelly gave me the details. It was actually a 1982 development car, and carries no VIN tag, and I still have some of the 1982 magazines that promoted the Capri, where the later hatch and tail lights are shown. Anyhow, the Capri runs mid 9s in the 1/4 mile, with a Ford 460 style engine.If you live in the Pacific Northwest, keep an eye open for Larrys special Capri at a dragstrip near you.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

FEP Senior Member

Although these cars were not race cars since new, they have been around quite a while. For several years, my good buddy, the late John Heida , raced this 85 Mustang in NHRA Super Stock (GT/FA & GT/HA), running a 1974 low HP "smogger" 460. John did virtually everything on the Mustang, from chassis work,mounting the 460 low enough to fit under the stock steel hood, headers, oil pan, the engine etc. John won a NHRA divisional race at Seattle , as well as making it to the semi finals at the Northwest Nationals (also in Seattle)Name:  PhotoScan14 (3) - Copy.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  96.3 KBName:  PhotoScan15 (3) - Copy.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  95.3 KB In this shot, John is seen defeating the winningest driver in NHRA Sportsman History, Dan Fletchers 69 Camaro Super Stocker.

I have owned my 78 Fairmont 2 door sedan since 1986, and in 1990 & 91, I raced the car in NHRA Super Street (10.90 index) This shot was taken at the Northwest Nationals in Seattle, famed long time NHRA Chief Starter Buster Couch in the background.Name:  PhotoScan2 (3) - Copy.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  136.8 KB
    I also built a 85 Mustang to race in NHRA Stock Eliminator, with the 302 4 barrel 5.0 engine and a 4 speed Jerico transmission. I held the NHRA National Records in M/Stock and N/Stock during the 2005 race season.Name:  PhotoScan6 (3) - Copy.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  97.5 KB
    I still own & race the Fairmont (31 years this year), and the Mustang, I last raced the Mustang in Stock Eliminator in 2012, but bracket raced it until the end of 2014. It currently sits with no running gear, awaiting its turn to burn rubber again.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Have not been able to track down either car. Summit Ford Demo'd many cars at the track. Many of the former salesman have told me stories about people coming in on Monday to buy the car they saw at the track on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Droog View Post
    Any idea if this car still exists, Steve? Also, I recall seeing pics of a black 82 GT with "Summit Ford Drag Team" lettered on the rear quarters. Any info on that one?
    Here is the 82 you were referring to:

Some others:

Vince Hancock who was the sales manager at Summit Ford left in 86 and went to John Caster Ford and started up a similar program there. Here is a very rare car in that it was Vince's personal car that was originally a Summit Ford Racing Team Dominator but when he left became a John Caster Ford Racing Team Bullet. I do know where this car is. It has the original Alan Root Aluminum heads that predated the Motorsport J302 heads.

Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

A Couple of race cars(not Dominators) I have come across going through pictures I got from Rob Park at NHRA:

One from Heartland Park in Topeka.

One from Gateway Park in St Louis.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

This is excellent stuff guys, exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread! Steve, that red Caster car gets my blood pumping a little faster.

A friends 460 Ford

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    FatAttack, a 460 raced back in 1986.

This is the way a Fox Notch should be run!

You can still see part of the original 'Summit Ford Racing Team' Wording that they wiped off. They left the 'Team' and wiped off the rest and added John Caster Ford Racing above it.

This is excellent stuff guys, exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread! Steve, that red Caster car gets my blood pumping a little faster.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Name:  les baer pro5.0.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  58.4 KB

Less Baer's 82 GT Pro5.0 car. I believe this one was an old Stock or S/S car before Les converted it to Pro5.0 duty, but I could be mistaken.

I thought we could use thread dedicated to early Foxes in drag racing. I'll post pics as I find them along with the story, if I know it. I make no guarantees as to accuracy, so if I'm wrong about a particular car, don't hesitate to correct me. I'd like this to eventually become a repository of knowledge on Ford's return to racing in the 80's and the Four Eye's place in that history, something like the Thunderbolt thread on The HAMB.

Name:  1986winternationals19.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  113.7 KB
    This is an 85 GT running Super Stock at the 86 Winternats. The story I've heard is that the car was damaged in transport and the decision was made to take it racing. The rumor is that this car was later purchased by Gene Deputy and morphed into the Texas Turbo Anteater car. If so, it still exists on the match race circuit down in Texas.
    Name:  85-mustang-vert-wheelie.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  139.6 KB
    85 GT convertible running Super Stock. I know nothing about this car.
    Name:  smith_rickie_1982_2.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  162.9 KB
    Rickie Smith's 82 GT Pro Stocker.
    Name:  1381522077736.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  50.2 KB
    The Bray and Gillam 83 GT Super Stocker. Bray and Gillam were old school racers, best known for campaigning one of the original 50 "135" 68 CJ Mustangs. This 83 was one of the first (if not the first) SS/GT cars built; it was bought new by Loyd Bray and immediately converted for track duty. Still exists, gathering dust in the back of Gillam's shop.
    Name:  dynodon_18.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  33.4 KB
    Dyno Don Nicholson and his 79 Mustang Pro Stocker.

Gary Summers car has been running M,N, O for years and had the record in all 3 classes at one time. I've seen him run some 10.30s with those E5 heads... that car is hellacuous fast!!!
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337

I am surprised that none of the 9 second 4 cylinder foxes have been presented on this thread.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

please delete...double post
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

I'll bite...

Paul Romine's Man-O-War nostalgia fuel funny car. Runs 5.60's @ 250's on a very limited rules package. This body was made from a mold that was pulled from the body he ran in 1982.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

There are some SICK cars on this thread! Awesome!