Close

Default Want to redo my seats !

Was looking at TMI kits ! Tan is very limited ,The seats in my coupe have a darker center with I will never find. I was looking and the only tan upholstery they have fits 87 to 93 none for my 85 . The seats are just the low back buckets , Was wondering are the 85 seats the same as 87 seats in the low bucket ?

The seats and foam are indeed the same for the standard bucket. You should be fine. And I wouldn't go so far as to say you will NEVER find what you want. It is out there but you have to find someone who still has the material in stock $$ and then find someone to turn them into covers $$$$. It can be done though.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Thanks homer, I thought they were the same , But was not sure. My back seat is like brand new just a little wear on the fronts . Been wanting to do this for awhile just not sure that the color they offer would look good in my car . But not a lot of opitions out there for tan.

You can see the center color on the head rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by slimj; 01-11-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Contact these guys: https://www.smsautofabrics.com/

If anyone has the original seat material they will. They aren't cheap, but not outrageous either IMHO. They will send you samples to compare to your original seats to verify the material.

If they have the materials, you can order from them and then send it to TMI to make the new covers. TMI doesn't really discount the price with you supplying the materials, but it's an option.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Wraithracing I will check them out.

Not knowing the history of the car and what little info I could find out about the original color and fabric options for an '85, I have a feeling that those headrests are from another year car. I know that earlier models (81-82) that used the same upholstery pattern had a center cloth seat insert that looks somewhat similar to what little I can see and there were multiple colors. Additionally, the low back seat upholstery in that same style was carried over to the Aero-era cars, which might also be something to be considered.

Just some food for thought...
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Not knowing the history of the car and what little info I could find out about the original color and fabric options for an '85, I have a feeling that those headrests are from another year car. I know that earlier models (81-82) that used the same upholstery pattern had a center cloth seat insert that looks somewhat similar to what little I can see and there were multiple colors. Additionally, the low back seat upholstery in that same style was carried over to the Aero-era cars, which might also be something to be considered.

Just some food for thought...
    Bryan - I believe he has some (pretty nice fitting and looking) seat covers on the seats, but not headrests.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

The headrests look very similar to these seat, obviously just in beige rather than red.

Name:  PG10.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  67.2 KB

http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/.../PG10.jpg.html
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yes I do have seat covers on the seats, The center of the seat is same as the head rest. Back seat is like new. Driver side has a little wear on the side of the seat where you slide in. I was looking at new upholstery from TMI , Kinda wanted to buy the new upholstery and put it on. But all they offer is a two tone tan and it is 87 up . Nothing for 85, But it is the same seat, low back bucket. Just
    not sure how all tan would look with out the dark center.
    Last edited by slimj; 01-13-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Name:  DSCN0029.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  84.2 KB little better pic. with the seat covers.