Close

Default Replacing the steering wheel in 82 GT

Hey Guys, I am looking to replace the steering wheel in my 82 GT. I havent been able to find a suitable replacement, whats the best option out there. Maybe something similar to the later Saleens came with. I imagine I will need an adapter that fits the splines and the wheel of my choice. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Virtually any aftermarket wheel will require an adapter. This includes Grant, Momo, Sparco, etc.

Your 82 should be a splined steering shaft so that is different than the mid production 83-93 car FYI.

Not sure what you want or what you like, but there are a few stock options that work well. The 3 spoke sport wheel isn't bad, then there's the 4 spoke wheel also. Otherwise you will need to look at other Ford vehicles for a stock wheel that will fit. After that aftermarket will be the only option. Just keep in mind that most of the adapters move the wheel closer to the driver due to the length (height) of the adapter. This can cause some drivers issues both with seating position and the reach to the turn signal stalk.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the info, I will do a little more research.

Mike