Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Aftermarket EFI Conversion

I need to make a plan for the near future to install the FAST Ez-EFI into my 84 GT. I have a good idea what needs to happen in order to make it function, but there are a few things I could use some help/guidance on.

Here are some of my thoughts and hope someone can chime in on whether it is right or wrong.

1) Install EFI fuel tank and level sender. I don't think this will be an issue, fitment wise, but is there a difference in the sender wiring between the carb sender and EFI sender?

2) I assume that an 85+ in tank hanger and fuel pump will supply the necessary pressure and flow to the injectors? I like the idea of using the factory in-tank pump as opposed to an external pump.

3) I assume I will need to run a new EFI fuel line set as opposed to using the carb line set?

4) Obviously I will need to run a fuel pressure regulator. Any ones that I should steer clear of? Any that are recommended?

5) The biggest question for me is the fuel pump wiring. What would be the best way to go about this?

Any thing I am missing? Any help is appreciated.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

You will need to run new fuel lines and add a return line. As far as regulators go I have always used aeromotive with out issue. Any efi tank/fuel pump should work with out trouble. Automotive has an excellent 30 amp fuel pump wiring kit, you should add the Ford shut off switch from the 86 and up to the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by hcmclean View Post
    You will need to run new fuel lines and add a return line. As far as regulators go I have always used aeromotive with out issue. Any efi tank/fuel pump should work with out trouble. Automotive has an excellent 30 amp fuel pump wiring kit, you should add the Ford shut off switch from the 86 and up to the harness.
    You may want to validate the amps that your alternator is putting out due to the increased requirement of the pump and EFI system.
    Thanks for the information, it is duly noted. Also a good point, and one I hadn't thought about......charging system. In all honesty, I would probably be better off doing the 3g upgrade anyways so this is probably a good time to do so.

I may end up going the FAST plug and play system but, for my own curiosity, I have to check the feasibility and cost of using factory parts whether they are new, used or a combination. Luckily, I have plenty of time to weigh the options.

Either way, I will definitely be asking for your input and advice through this process.
    Brock

I will be following this thread closely and learning from your mistakes! i have been thinking about this for a while. Like yourself, I would like to use a lot of the parts that Ford has already done the R&D on and has been proven for decades. Your car already has a return line, it is the smaller of the two. What I believe a lot of people do is add a new larger send line and use your current send line as the new EFI RETURN and then do away with the return line you have present now.

I also believe that the OEM '87-93 EFI sending units are backwards from the carb ones. I THINK That is true but it's been a while so more research is needed. Meaning that if you use a '87+ sending unit your gauge will read empty when full and full when empty I think. However, it will be right once every tank, when the car is half full, LOL. Just as I type this, I wonder if the '86 sender may work as that gauge at least LOOKS the same as yours on the outside. So though I think you will need to do some sorting there and I would get a tank, in tank pump and sender, and wiring from one car if possible. Then you can replace the pump and sender with newer ones but at least you have the old for reference. You can buy Aeromotive fuel line or any of the other brands available. I wouldn't go through the trouble to source out a fuel line from an EFI car that is already 25 years old when you install it personally. It has potentially been exposed to rain, salt, watered down gasoline and just the general elements for decades and just doesn't make sense to use to me.

Also as mentioned above, you should add some kind of safety switch like the OEM inertia switch and associated relays or fuse protection. In the event of an accident, you don't want the pump to continue running and possibly feed fuel on a potential fire.
    Last edited by homer302; 01-11-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Also, Fast does have a fuel pump kit with all the required wiring and other bits. You may want to validate the amps that your alternator is putting out due to the increased requirement of the pump and EFI system.

3g is the way to go! EFI sucks a lot of amps.

3g is the way to go! EFI sucks a lot of amps.
    Any particular alternator you recommend?
    Brock

I'll second hcmclean's recommendation of Aeromotive products. We have used many of their FPRs and pumps over the years and have always proved worth the price of admission (this was all on Nissan applications though so I can't help you out with specific part numbers).

Cant go wrong with PA performance, reliable and priced right.

The kill switch in the back, is easy peasy to hook up. No worries there.

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I need to make a plan for the near future to install the FAST Ez-EFI into my 84 GT. I have a good idea what needs to happen in order to make it function, but there are a few things I could use some help/guidance on.

Here are some of my thoughts and hope someone can chime in on whether it is right or wrong.

1) Install EFI fuel tank and level sender. I don't think this will be an issue, fitment wise, but is there a difference in the sender wiring between the carb sender and EFI sender?

2) I assume that an 85+ in tank hanger and fuel pump will supply the necessary pressure and flow to the injectors? I like the idea of using the factory in-tank pump as opposed to an external pump.

3) I assume I will need to run a new EFI fuel line set as opposed to using the carb line set?

4) Obviously I will need to run a fuel pressure regulator. Any ones that I should steer clear of? Any that are recommended?

5) The biggest question for me is the fuel pump wiring. What would be the best way to go about this?

Any thing I am missing? Any help is appreciated.
    1) This is tricky business to make function, factory pieces-wise. I'd look for at least the guts (pump/strainer hanger and separate sender) from a 3.8 or 5.0 CFI tank in the yard, because the different hangers and sending units (especially the all-in-one ones) are tougher than tough to find anymore, and/or also the tank from the yard if it looks good, or a new CFI tank. That way, you can have your high-pressure in-tank pump that's necessary as well as the separate (and same ohm-range as yours) fuel level sender for your gas gauge.

2) See ^ ^ ^. They say 40+ PSI, so yes there. Flow should be fine south of 500 horsepower.

3) Possibly...

4) I would have recommended a CFI fuel pressure regulator (robust, easily made adjustable, vacuum can be added... though it looks like that 4-barrel CFI unit doesn't require vacuum-regulated fuel pressure), but there doesn't seem to be a place on that unit for a traditional type regulator.

5) Grab the relay from under the driver's seat and the tank wiring (pig tails and a few feet) from the yard car too, if possible, and wire the pump up like I did. Simple, and has been consistently rock solid:

(if memory serves, fusing standard practice is ~135% of the amp rating of the powered item (fuel pump in this case))
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 01-11-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

The fitech system includes a fuel pressure regulator. And is generally much cheaper than other systems. I haven't used either EFI system, but I have read good stuff about the Fitech. Entry level 400 HP kit is $800.

http://fitechefi.com/products/30003/

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

You still need to upgrade the fuel system, but FiTech does sell pumps and kits. They have an under-hood system that uses your existing mechanical fuel pump and lines to supply a head unit that has a high pressure pump built-in. Or you can fab your own system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    The fitech system includes a fuel pressure regulator. And is generally much cheaper than other systems. I haven't used either EFI system, but I have read good stuff about the Fitech. Entry level 400 HP kit is $800.

http://fitechefi.com/products/30003/

Jess

WOW! I like what I see on the Fitech web site, cool stuff.
    Seems like a great system

You might drop your fuel tank to verify what tank you actually have. With EFI being used in the SVO and the CFI cars in 84 I believe Ford started using the same fuel tank for all the vehicles. I am not 100% sure on that, but it's quite possible you have a tank that can be fitted with the EFI parts and no need to purchase a new tank.

You will need the EFI pump hanger and fuel line setup. My understanding is the 94/95 units will fit the Fox tanks and use larger fuel lines when needed to upgrade, but with factory parts. I believe you can order that from Rock Auto and possibly others. That is the plan with my 82 GT.

As for the fuel level sender, you will need/want this one here: http://www.foxresto.com/SVO-GT-Turbo...-p/4883010.htm

That is the new replacement for the EFI Four Eyed cars so it will work with your current gauge.

If you don't have a junkyard close with a good donor car for the fuel pump/fuel sender wiring, let me know I probably have a spare harness out of either an 86 or 87-93 in my stash of parts. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You might drop your fuel tank to verify what tank you actually have. With EFI being used in the SVO and the CFI cars in 84 I believe Ford started using the same fuel tank for all the vehicles. I am not 100% sure on that, but it's quite possible you have a tank that can be fitted with the EFI parts and no need to purchase a new tank.

You will need the EFI pump hanger and fuel line setup. My understanding is the 94/95 units will fit the Fox tanks and use larger fuel lines when needed to upgrade, but with factory parts. I believe you can order that from Rock Auto and possibly others. That is the plan with my 82 GT.

As for the fuel level sender, you will need/want this one here: http://www.foxresto.com/SVO-GT-Turbo...-p/4883010.htm

That is the new replacement for the EFI Four Eyed cars so it will work with your current gauge.

If you don't have a junkyard close with a good donor car for the fuel pump/fuel sender wiring, let me know I probably have a spare harness out of either an 86 or 87-93 in my stash of parts. Good Luck!
    As many times as I had the tank out of this car last year, I know for a fact it is a carb tank, not EFI so a new tank is in order to go with factory pieces.

As long as the fuel pump/hangers are the same for 86-93 cars, I should be able to find a new/used one fairly easily. I'm not sure if I need to "upgrade' to the 94/95 stuff, if it is even larger, as I don't think that I will be pushing the horsepower envelope requiring that for a LONG time. I will put new 86+ FI lines under it though as I think it's the smart thing to do.

The fuel level sender I had mapped out already, I ordered the same thing from LMR for my 84 vert.

The junkyards here are real hit and miss on Foxes, so you may never know what you might find. Currently they have an 87 listed in there, but my guess is that it is a 4 cyl and pretty picked over. They usually are. I should go take a look at it......but it's cold and I'm a wimp LOL!
    Brock

Too bad you aren't closer!

I probably have everything you need. for the fuel tank, fuel pump hanger, etc.

I also have a pair of 86-93 EFI fuel lines I was going to use for my 82 GT, but those plans have changed.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Holley is now making a kit called the sniper to compete with the fitech in the $1000 price range that's worth a look too but they do not have the fuel command center like fitech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-510 this one here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86 - 93 tank will bolt in just fine. For the sender, you can now buy a new sender for our cars. As far as the connector for the sender, it is different so you would have to get one for the later cars and splice it in. When I converted my 83L to EFI, I used the wiring for the fuel system from an 87 and spliced it into the car wiring.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I'm local and have the 302 upper/lower manifold and an 86 speed density computer on the shelf if interested. All good parts.

If I were in your shoes I'd troll U-pull-it and U-wrench-it for an engine harness, rails, injectors, EGR spacer, pump relay, inertia switch, etc.

BTW - if you go and they have any foxbody or convertible cars please give me a shout out. I missed getting parts off of an 89GT they had before they crushed it last year. I'm after interior quarter/hatch trim and a few other things for my car. Also a 91 up vert top mechanism as they fold WAY more flat than the 86.

every time I see some dumb ass smash a perfectly good car or a decent parts car it's aggravating!
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-19-2017 at 04:08 AM.

What exactly are your goals for the EFI setup? Are you looking for Performance or just good daily driver simplicity? Really, what would be wrong with using a donor 89+ MAF car and using all OEM stuff? I can understand totally if you want to use a system like the FiTech if you kinda want to retain the factory breather and look though.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

He's using a Fast EFI. Similar to the Holley Sniper kit. It looks just like a carb. This isn't a retro 5.0 GT40/etc type efi install.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    He's using a Fast EFI. Similar to the Holley Sniper kit. It looks just like a carb. This isn't a retro 5.0 GT40/etc type efi install.
    Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions guys, but Dave is right. This is using the FAST Ez-EFI setup I already have and not going to a factory style setup or other aftermarket system.

A couple of questions that maybe you all can help me with.

1) Will a factory pump be sufficient for this? I'm wondering if will I be able to supply a constant 43# to the injectors that supposedly have an 88gpm/hr @ 60 psi rating throughout the throttle range.

2) I need a 12v switched trigger wire to this system to power up the ECU. This needs to be powered in On/Run and Crank. What would be the best wire to tap into here without worrying about overloading or complications with other systems?
    Brock

Seat of the pants wise the 86-95 relatively long runner multi port EFI upper/lower would be an enjoyable mod. Or a Edelbrock or Typhoon or GT40 or TrickFlow, etc.. The torque production from the long runner design is outstanding.

I had a short runner 4 barrel manifold on a 351W in my Galaxie at one time. I went to a 360 degree Offenhauser on ths 351W because it was a DOOE head engine and I thought it would give me the instant power I was after. It made much better torque and gave up very little up top but it had its problems because of cold weather we get here in the winter, etc.

if a stock pre-EFI look is important or you are after peak HP the plate EFIs and carbs on the shorter runner manifolds have their merits, as do long runner carb style manifolds.

If you are after instant raw power with few drivability issues even on cold start and you're spending the money already anyway I would go port EFI. the advantage is avoiding the biggest drawbacks.

Its very easy to switch SD to MAF too BTW. You just swap a few wires in the harness, add a few, and bolt on the MAF. Swap in the correct intake pipes. Piece of cake. My speed density made slightly more peak HP but MAF wins the contest on torque by about 10 across the rev range. Stock 86 SD (I forget the code) vs 89 A9L computer. Both using stock 86 intake, 65MM throttle body, and BBK headers. MAF added a 70 MM Cobra MAF meter. A lot of guys make the mistake of going with too large of MAFs or bigger injectors with 'reprogrammed' MAFs and quite large throttle bodies on a nearly stock engine and intake setup. Don't - you will go to tuning jail for your sins. It will run like crap. It will get terrible gas mileage, and it will be very slow compared to your buddy's stock setup.

If it's a street car driven often I would go 86-93 style EFI.

Some guys go Explorer intake but I feel there is no advantage compared to a stock ported 86-93. Ex plenum is not designed to match up perfectly to a HO 5.0L. It causes power to peak at 5800 which is fine if you like that sort of thing.

Flow own wise stock flows 110CFM front and rear cylinders and 130 on all others. This compared to Explorer which flows 150 across the board untouched or around 260 with a bold port job. Most HO heads flow around 155-160 to give you a point of reference.

Yes you can port the lower on the ex. It will add power but not RPM range as its a upper runner and plenum design thing. Yes you could throw on a box upper. Unless you're boosted I wouldn't.

Personally I go by engine design principles and factor in stroke when I select my redline target. On 302 it should be 7000 peak which is a 6750 redline. My choice of parts plans for this accordingly.

if you have the budget pick an intake from a reputable aftermarket supplier. Anything that says its for 1500-6500 will be nearly indistinguishable from stock 86 up 5.0L HO down low and pull like a freight train well past where the stock parts give up if you stay sane on the rest of the parts used.

I have a Typhoon which bested all of the other EFI intakes in an idle to 7000 EFI intake dyno shootout even though it's only rated 1500-6500. Even on my worn out old tired 86 now and it's a great design that gives a lot of room to add better heads, cam, etc, later and is fun to drive right now.

PM me if you'd like to talk about it. Or maybe over beers since we're both local.

good luck on your decision and your build.
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-20-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast