Close

Default Blowing blinker and reverse light fuse

On my 1986 LTD wagon, I have one electrical gremlin I'm trying to fix. Before anyone suggest checking the blinker fluid, I already checked that.

Basically what happens is when I put a fuse in, as soon as I turn the key to ACC, it blows the fuse. The Hazards work fine and doesn't blow a fuse so I think the "blinker circuit" is OK. The backup lights don't make sense either because they are not on when the fuse blows. There is obviously a dead short somewhere but I don't know where to find it.

As I'm typing this, I had a thought. If I take the fuse out, I should have 12V on one terminal and I expect could find ground on the other terminal. If anyone has good diagram of this circuit for a 1986 LTD, it would be much appreciated.

I think this is what I need. PPL/ORG wire must have short. Maybe I'll disconnect the backup switch on the trans or disconnect the harness for the Multi function switch.

Check the brake switch. The last few ive had the wires were melted through the connector. I cut off the connector and just stick on some cheap crimp connectors and dont have a problem after.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Brake lights are a different fuse. Also, the brake switch is live at all times, so the fuse would blow immediately,
    not wait until the ignition is turned to 'ACC'. BTW, the proper Standard S-831 connector pigtail can be had for
    around $10.

From the description, I'm going to presume we're talking about Fuse 5 here, and unless someone 'borrowed the
    circuit to power something else, Fuse 5 only supplies the reverse lights and turn signals (but not hazard flashers).

Disconnecting the multi-function switch is a good first call, but I suspect the harness to the transmission neutral
    safety/reverse light switch has gotten against something it should not have, and either chafed or melted through.

And yes, with fuse 5 out, the load-side terminal should be a handy way to check whether the circuit is still shorted
    to ground.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Good call, didnt even think about that.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Finally got under the car today and determined that the is indeed and issue with the transmission backup switch. Disconnected it and no more blown fuses. Of course that is also the neutral safety switch so that car won't start with it disconnected. Figured out which wire on the switch was connected to the Purple Orange and cut that wire. Actually as Jeff suggested the harness on the switch side was chaffed or melted from something. Time for a new/used switch. For now I have blinkers albeit no back up lights.