Close

Default Truck Headlights: Why?

So I've always wondered this, and i'm sure there's someone here who knows. Why do some base model, more fleet-oriented trucks get sealed beam headlights? I don't know if it's even true anymore, i haven't seen one from the last 5 years or so that has this except maybe the GM van chassis.

Here's what I mean: Fleet Super Duty front end:
    Name:  F250 Fleet.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  26.5 KB

Versus, the regular consumer version:
    Name:  F250 Regular.jpeg
Views: 304
Size:  69.4 KB

Why, dammit?! WHY?! And i don't believe it's to save cost. They have to design and build a whole different headlight/marker light assembly and maybe grille too!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member

Cheaper and easier/ cost effective to replace when dummies knock then out. The hid/led light assemblies are easily $1000. Each. $20 bulb is cheap.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

^^^^^^^ What He said!

It's amazing what damage these non owners can do to the average truck. Much cheaper and easier to replace the Halogen bulb and you can pick it up at virtually any parts store. Also larger fleet owners can stock replacement bulbs for multiple truck brands and not have to worry about it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I the 4x6"s in the four eyes. $50 buys ya a whole new set even at 2am in the middle of nowhere.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I suppose that makes sense. I imagine sealed beam headlights are starting to not necessarily be "in stock" at auto parts stores, hence seeing this less now. I don't believe I've seen a Transit or new model '17 Super Duty with that kind of arrangement. Or even the previous Super Duty...
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I suppose that makes sense. I imagine sealed beam headlights are starting to not necessarily be "in stock" at auto parts stores, hence seeing this less now. I don't believe I've seen a Transit or new model '17 Super Duty with that kind of arrangement. Or even the previous Super Duty...
    I believe I have seen a new Transit van with the sealed beam headlights here locally, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen a '17 Super Duty yet, and it will be interesting to see how they do that with the new headlight setup.

I know the Super Duty's from 1999-2010 or 2011 had the "fleet" sealed beams. Can't remember on the 2012-2016.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I don't think we are supposed to link to other forums but suffice it to say if you do a search that seams to be a commonly discussed topic amongst the SD fans as well. It looks to me they haven't done those sealed beams since 2004 based on the very limited digging around I did. I did see where the wiring harness is the same on at least some of them and Ford used a wiring harness adapter that plugged in one socket and converted it to the other which I found interesting and that part number may have a use in many other applications I think.

EDIT: I see where Trey says they did this for many more years then what I saw. I am sure that is accurate as again, I only did a very superficial search.
    Last edited by homer302; 01-11-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Punch your lights out. Hit the pavement....

Yup, sealed beam IMHO...its all been downhill since 1985 model year, when Ford put the LSC and it then got 'apped" by the later SVO/Aero Mustang headlamps into mass production.

Same overseas, as soon as the English joined the European Union, they suddenly made ugly integrated headlamp cars.

Even the great Citroën stylist Trevor Fiore said of the integrated headlamp Jaguar XJ-S "It lookes like a cat sick with myxomatosis".

US model

Rest of the Werlt "myxo"

After the 1939 Fords, the US headlamp regulation banned integrated head lamps.

I'm a purist. Inches, US gallons, feet, and sealed beam headlamps. Anything else is unconstitutional....

But if you wanna pay 1000 dollars for headlamsp, its all good. Just makes Ch**a rich....

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    But if you wanna pay 1000 dollars for headlamsp, its all good. Just makes Ch**a rich....
    Not sure where people get the $1000 per light business, but i can get a pair of oem headlight assemblys for my 09 F150 for less then $200, and my buddy just replaced one on the leveling headlight assemblies in his 2012 for less then $250. Granted thats all more expensive then sealed beam, but not $1000, and they produce better light

Quote Originally Posted by 86AscMclaren View Post
    Not sure where people get the $1000 per light business, but i can get a pair of oem headlight assemblys for my 09 F150 for less then $200, and my buddy just replaced one on the leveling headlight assemblies in his 2012 for less then $250. Granted thats all more expensive then sealed beam, but not $1000, and they produce better light
    Please let us all know where you are getting OEM headlamps for $200/pair.

Name:  F150 Headlights.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  27.4 KB

Can you buy them cheaper than what is shown above, probably. Can you get a pair of NON OEM for $200 surely. I just don't see a pair of OEM for $200 at this point without something special going on.

Bottom line is $1000 a headlight is probably an exaggeration in many cases for most Ford vehicles, but you can easily get close to that amount for a pair of headlamps especially when the vehicle is new or only a few years old.

Name:  F250.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  38.0 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You can get them for about that at the self service wrecking yard, pending they carry the late model vehicles which is rare.

He never said they were new.....just OEM.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 01-24-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Yeah, I burned out headlight last night in my 86 cougar. Cost me $8 to replace.
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    You can get them for about that at the self service wrecking yard, pending they carry the late model vehicles which is rare.

He never said they were new.....just OEM.
    This can be true, but the original discussion was more centered around why Companies buy the trucks with the Sealed Beam lights. Most of the time they are just going to get a NEW replacement rather than run to the J/Y in hopes. I worked for Halliburton for awhile, I promise you they aren't going to take the time to find a used one.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Not only that, but we used to run the same air filters and oil filters ect on all trucks. Picked them out that way when they bought them. We also had tons of lights and stuff on hand.
    1 1987 cougar

This can be true, but the original discussion was more centered around why Companies buy the trucks with the Sealed Beam lights. Most of the time they are just going to get a NEW replacement rather than run to the J/Y in hopes. I worked for Halliburton for awhile, I promise you they aren't going to take the time to find a used one.
    LOL know all about that! Working in the contractor world for a long time, there was no way that the company owners were going to buy anything but the base models for the shop and field welders. Give them about 2 weeks on a new truck and they were already looking pretty beat up. Glad most of them were better at their jobs than they were at driving.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    LOL know all about that! Working in the contractor world for a long time, there was no way that the company owners were going to buy anything but the base models for the shop and field welders. Give them about 2 weeks on a new truck and they were already looking pretty beat up. Glad most of them were better at their jobs than they were at driving.
    I know, you were giving me a hard time, so I had to respond!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Name:  F150 Headlights.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  27.4 KB

Can you buy them cheaper than what is shown above, probably. Can you get a pair of NON OEM for $200 surely. I just don't see a pair of OEM for $200 at this point without something special going on.

Bottom line is $1000 a headlight is probably an exaggeration in many cases for most Ford vehicles, but you can easily get close to that amount for a pair of headlamps especially when the vehicle is new or only a few years old.

Name:  F250.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  38.0 KB
    https://www.amazon.com/Ford-F-150-Bl.../dp/B00AB2IDZQ
    Sorry, $250

the description says 100% ford parts, i just like to stay away from the actual dealership

With the way vehicles are becoming less owner-serviceable every year, I'm surprised ANY vehicle manufacturers still offer the sealed beam headlights. Replacement headlight assemblies (vehicle specific) are a gold mine for suppliers, and when people can replace their own sealed beam headlights, that's a lot of lost revenue.

As for passenger cars, it would be a lot harder to incorporate them into the aerodynamic front end of today's cars. The fact that we're here on FOUR Eyed Pride says something about our tastes. If I were buying a used Super Duty Ford, I'd definitely prefer an XL trim truck. Give me the manual transmission, manual transfer case shifter, manual hubs, manual windows/locks, rubber floor covering, and fixed glass, non-tinted rear window! Realize I'm going off on a tangent, but Ford doesn't even offer a manual transmission on full-sized trucks any more.
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties