Close

Default Lowering Springs

It's looking like I'll be buying back the 85 gt I sold back in 2011. The one with the 351w in it.

I want to do a few things to it right off the bat, lowering springs and tranny cooler first off.

Does anyone have any suggestions on lowering springs that are not too expensive but still quality? If anyone has any used ones for sale I'd be interested also.

Thanks in advance, Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't answer this completely yet as I have just started the install, but I got the SR springs from American Muscle. Supposed to be about an inch and a half drop and most the reviews across the web put them in a good light. Time will tell though.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I can't answer this completely yet as I have just started the install, but I got the SR springs from American Muscle. Supposed to be about an inch and a half drop and most the reviews across the web put them in a good light. Time will tell though.
    Thank you. I will take a look. I appreciate the info!

Believe it or not, I found Eibach sport line springs on Craigslist for $75....front and rear. My 20th Anniversary GT350 on 16" Boyd Coddington wheels. Nice stance.

Attachment 108353
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Love my H&R Sports. They were affordable, give you a nice drop, and ride great!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

So much of this depends upon your purpose for the car. If it's race, MM adjustable coilovers. If it's drag, a launch kit. If it's the ultimate cool factor its air bags.

You can do a ton with stock springs from various years and models of fox bodies too- all you need is a goal and a cutoff wheel.

The what's best answer also depends upon your tire and wheel size and if you have rolled or stretched or otherwise expanded your wheel openings or not.

I'm at 1" drop in front with a 1/2" rake on my car right now. That's what I got with X2 ball joints and no spring spacers and stock GT springs front, 4cyl LX rear. I'll start trimming down the rears when I get around to my panhard install.

Good of luck meeting your ride and stance goals!

If you end up with a pre-owned set, make sure you replace the cup the springs set in. It will make a difference.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    If you end up with a pre-owned set, make sure you replace the cup the springs set in. It will make a difference.
    Will do thank you!

Thank everyone for the input, great information! A big help!

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Believe it or not, I found Eibach sport line springs on Craigslist for $75....front and rear. My 20th Anniversary GT350 on 16" Boyd Coddington wheels. Nice stance.

Attachment 108353
    That was a great find. Your stance is what I'm looking for. Thank you!

I also put as set of used Eibachs on my gt350. With the pony wheels the stance is perfect to me. So much better than the stock springs that you can go 4 wheeling with....
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    That was a great find. Your stance is what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Urethane spring isolators front and rear were installed.....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Attachment 108361

Also upgraded to '87+ front brakes.
    conmech - aka Marshall

H&R work great! I use them on my track rocket with a panhard. They also are fantastic keeping the live axle from bouncing over lumpy sections. I use the car for hill climbs too which can be really sketchy if the road is abused over the winter months from plows etc. I recommend them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chowbrow View Post
    H&R work great! I use them on my track rocket with a panhard. They also are fantastic keeping the live axle from bouncing over lumpy sections. I use the car for hill climbs too which can be really sketchy if the road is abused over the winter months from plows etc. I recommend them.

Thanks Glenn! What else do you have on your car suspension wise if you don't me asking. Thanks again for response.

I use Tokiko5 way adjustable rear shocks and Koni fully adjustable struts up front. I also cut my K-Member to use Thunderbird control arms. I use 14" x 1.25 Wilwood Brakes all the way around with Carbotech XP12 Pads which are easy to modulate and don't kill the rotors. It's incredibly fast, beat Porsche 993's on the road course. I've got tons of videos on YouTube. Type in 1989 Mustang at Knox Mountain Hillclimb and you can see it. Tell me what you think if you watch the vids.
    Good luck on your build!

Here's a teaser. Got the rear done this weekend and it makes a huge visual difference. As for feel, it is definitely a bit firmer with the SR springs and new Monroe sensatracs in it (by doing the bounce in the hatch area to help set things test) but a road test when completed will tell the true story.

Stance Before and After:
    Name:  DSC00802.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  149.1 KBName:  DSC00813.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  148.4 KB

Measurement Before and After:
    Name:  DSC00804.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  107.9 KBName:  DSC00812.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  112.6 KB

Keep in mind, this is sitting with most of the interior out and also the gas tank. When I reset the rear suspension, I added about 110# of weight in the hatch area to simulate the weight of a full fuel tank and rear seat. It sat about 3/8 - 1/2" lower than this pic shows and should be about right once it completely settles.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 01-16-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    Brock

Here's a teaser. Got the rear done this weekend and it makes a huge visual difference. As for feel, it is definitely a bit firmer with the SR springs and new Monroe sensatracs in it (by doing the bounce in the hatch area to help set things test) but a road test when completed will tell the true story.
    If you haven't done it, I highly recommend you lightly snug all the suspension control arm bolts and then take the car for a spin around the block. Make sure you go over some bumps, dips, etc. Nothing crazy and no high speeds 30 MPH will do just fine. Do a couple of laps or about 10 minutes of driving, but again you want the suspension to cycle often, not just highway cruising. Get the car back home and then tighten up all the suspension control arm bolts to full specs with the full weight of the car on the suspension. I do this will all my suspension redos and with any new springs and it works really well for me. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you haven't done it, I highly recommend you lightly snug all the suspension control arm bolts and then take the car for a spin around the block. Make sure you go over some bumps, dips, etc. Nothing crazy and no high speeds 30 MPH will do just fine. Do a couple of laps or about 10 minutes of driving, but again you want the suspension to cycle often, not just highway cruising. Get the car back home and then tighten up all the suspension control arm bolts to full specs with the full weight of the car on the suspension. I do this will all my suspension redos and with any new springs and it works really well for me. Good Luck!
    That is the plan once I get the front done. The roads around the house work great for this with all the speedbumps and potholes in them.

What I did here was loosen all the control arms up when I removed the springs, since I figured it was important due to the change of spring height. When everything was back together, I added weight and bounced up and down in the hatch area for quite awhile and then just snugged them till further notice when I can take it for a " final setting" spin.
    Brock

I continue to be amazed at the 4x4 appearing ride heights others end up with on stock components when they start. Mine seems like it's about the same as your after shot, and I haven't done anything special to lower mine save X2 balljoints and 4 banger rear springs.

I would be curious what your ground to fender lip measurements are. I'm just under 26 up front on a 245/45/17 tire with a 3/4" increase in back that needs to go when I get time to turn wrenches again.

Shrug - happy that I don't recall a time when mine looked as high to me as where yours started!

Great progress!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I continue to be amazed at the 4x4 appearing ride heights others end up with on stock components when they start. Mine seems like it's about the same as your after shot, and I haven't done anything special to lower mine save X2 balljoints and 4 banger rear springs.

I would be curious what your ground to fender lip measurements are. I'm just under 26 up front on a 245/45/17 tire with a 3/4" increase in back that needs to go when I get time to turn wrenches again.

Shrug - happy that I don't recall a time when mine looked as high to me as where yours started!

Great progress!
    Thanks! These current pics are a bit misleading as the car is missing a bunch of weight and I have not had the chance to properly seat the suspension yet. I know for a fact that it will drop a bit more once I can do that. There really should be very little gap between the fender and tire when everything is done. At least that is the thought.

For the record, the car really didn't sit too terribly bad on the stock stuff before I started and I agree that the current "lowered" gap appears about the same as stock right now.

Here it sits on the stock stuff at the end of this season.
    Name:  0926161535c_HDRfrm.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  130.5 KB

It will be interesting to see the end result as opposed to this.
    I have a feeling I will either have to roll the fenders, if I want to keep the 265/55/15 on the back of the car as I feel the offset of these wheels push them out a bit. I might have to go closer to stock size when I'm done. Time will tell.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 01-17-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    Brock