Close

Hybrid View

Default Buying used MAC Headers

hi guys, i found a set of used mac headers and hpipe, just wanted your opinion on them, if i should go for it or not.
    theyre listed for 250CAD = 180USD

also, what are some tips and tricks for buying used headers?

thanks alot

Name:  $_27.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  28.0 KB

Mac makes some very good products. I have a few sets of their headers. I have Mac cat backs on my 83. Well made, and sound incredible. Go for it.

Good luck trying to bolt them up to the heads. Because they don't have continuous connecting flanges, but yet individual ones, you will need a pry bar and some grunt to get the header bolts to line up. I bolted mine on first go round on an engine stand and later got rid of them for a set of Ford Racing units.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Good luck trying to bolt them up to the heads. Because they don't have continuous connecting flanges, but yet individual ones, you will need a pry bar and some grunt to get the header bolts to line up. I bolted mine on first go round on an engine stand and later got rid of them for a set of Ford Racing units.

Same issue I had with a set of used MAC shorties. I got them to fit but a real PITA.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    God I wish I would have read this before buying my MAC equal length headers ... NOT FUN!!

so take a pass? should i go with shorties instead?

I wouldn't. For 180? That's a no brainer. Price them out once. I suppose if the UPS truck dropped them, and backed over them, they wouldn't fit right. I've never had an issue with them.

He said that he test fitted them and they fit fine, but he decided to get ceramic coated ones. I'm going to go check them out. Does anyone have any advice in general for buying headers for other people also looking for a used set?

FEP Super Member

Look for cracks at the welded areas , pass on one's with crushed tubes .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Long tubes over shorties any day.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Use a straight edge to make sure the flanges line up.

Had a set of Mac equal length shorties that fit great no problems. A friend bought a used set off craigslist that we fought like heck trying to get the passenger side on but for $180 I just cant see how you can go wrong. Just be prepared for some issues anytime you work with used exhaust parts.

That's a pretty good deal, you should buy those. You aren't going to find anything remotely close in price in Canada. Just know what you are signing up for installing lts and doing a clutch job. They can't fit any worse than the BBK 1-5/8" bs that's on my car. I'm happy with the Mac tailpipes on my Capri, and the complete catback system on our Camaro.

Cale

picked them up, flange spacing was consistent except for one which was about 1/8th of an inch off. figured for the price i could always resell them. was used on a carbed car so the guy welded shut the o2, smog tube as well. the ball flange on one of the headers was welded up a bit too and definitely wont make a good seal at one point, any ideas?
    Last edited by 86GT5.OhNo; 01-16-2017 at 04:41 PM.

I have an exhaust spreader, necessary to put gm small block manifolds back on. Mine came off the tool truck, but I'm sure you can buy or rent a cheapy at the parts store. If you have a grinder and welder you can fix the rest

I have these on my 86. I bought them brand new and had the issue of them not lining up properly. Looking back, or if they ever come off... I'll probably invest in a set of the ARP studs... It would probably make it allot easier to install if the studs where already in the head and you just had to manipulate each header tube onto two studs... I really don't think it would be bad doing it that way... Just a thought...
    1983 TurboCoupe- T3, unopened head- 13.4@98
    1985.5 SVO 9L
    1985 Notch- 2.3 auto---> H/C/I 5.0 5 speed

I have BBK equal shorties with 1 5/8" tubes on my 86GT that I bought new. Great performance upgrade but the are difficult at times.. I had them on my 89LX sport first. On both cars I had to take loose the passenger mount and jack the engine up in the car in order to install them.

I used studs front and rear to hold the gasket and align the header on the head. Had to shove a pipe wrench handle down the middle two pipes and put some heat on the nearest bend to get the flanges to align properly with the bolt holes the first time but once they were persuaded and heat cycled several times they have been compliant.

other than having to jack the motor to install/remove they've behaved on the 86 for the most part. I did break a motor mount on the 89 and put a slight dent in the passenger side because it was nearly resting on the frame when new. Not awesome figment but manageable and live able- bend it on purpose and stop the rattles!

. When I have them out next time I'm definitely going to heat shield my starter. The pipes are a little too close for comfort and have cooked a few starters over the years when running in heavy traffic a long time. The price for decent flowing headers.

gasket recommendations? where could i find the studs? arp only seems to list bolts..

I use Felpro 1415 gaskets run upside down on my World heads, and I soaked them in water before I installed them. They fit my heads better this way and I do a little cleanup work with my Dremel to keep them out of the ports. I also use Stage 8 locking header bolts that you can use either a socket or allen wrench on the head. The ARP bolts I used before came loose all the time.

I had a set of BBK equal length plug wire burning headers before. They were an older version with individual flanges like the Mac. I just got as many bolts into the heads as I could a few threads in and used a prybar to manipulate them enough to allow me to get the rest in.

Cale

+1 on the FelPro 1415s. Never had any problems with header bolts loosening with that style gasket. I also
    use the same style FelPro collector gaskets on headers that have flat collectors, for the same reasons. I do
    use good quality hardware, but nothing fancy. Most of the time when header bolts loosen, it's because of the
    gasket.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune