Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 1986 GT - original owner and daily driver

Sharing photos of my 1986 GT hatchback. I've owned the car since it was new in 1986. Drove it regularly until around 2000, then put it into "storage" ( meaning under a bunch of crap in my garage ). Pulled it out in 2015 and after quite a bit of TLC (including new paint with factory original PPG paint codes), this is again my daily driver !

Other than the CAI and throttle body, it is pretty much stock (and of course I still have the stock air intake and TB on hand as well ). Oh, i did replace the factory AC with an aftermarket kit... MUST have working AC for a daily driver in Texas!

Interior is all stock except for the dashpad and the 140mph speedo ( 85mph, really?! ). Replaced the headliner last year too.

-Eric

Name:  DSC_1483.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  119.8 KB
    Name:  DSC_1498.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  129.0 KBName:  DSC_1477.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  150.4 KBName:  DSC_1507.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  155.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You took great care of your Gt, it's cool to see you are still enjoying it after all these years.

yeah thats pretty cool, something like that driving around here would get tons of attention..
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Sweet looking GT!

Cool that you have kept it all these years!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looks nice, always enjoy seeing the 2 tone 4 eyed cars...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

thanks... Oh yes, I should have mentioned that it is a factory two-tone vehicle.

I'll post the door tag details later.

Nice GT, kudos for holding onto it all these years!
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

here is the door tag info...

Name:  DSC_1537b.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  114.0 KB

How cool that you kept it for all of these years. It really looks great.

Would you also post an image of the buck tag? Do you have the original invoice or window sticker? Does the car have premium sound system or visibility group? Have you ever looked for a build sheet in the interior? How many miles on the odometer?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Looks great after all those years of being a daily.

FEP Senior Member

Gorgeous Car! I bet you are really happy now that the car is back on the road and looking so sharp after all these years

Nice car, looks great!

FEP Member

Still looking good after all these years

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Would you also post an image of the buck tag? Do you have the original invoice or window sticker? Does the car have premium sound system or visibility group? Have you ever looked for a build sheet in the interior? How many miles on the odometer?

I'll have to try to get a buck tag photo this weekend.

I remember running across the window sticker a few years ago. It's around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

The car HAD premium sound from the factory, but the head unit was removed a LONG LONG time ago to "upgrade" to CD. Plus if I remember correctly I think the cassette mechanism had stopped working.
    It has since been upgraded again so I can use bluetooth (daily driver, remember?)
    I think the original premium sound cassette/head unit is still around here somewhere but I haven't seen it in a long time.
    I still have the goofy ford amplifier unit that fit into the "middle-speaker" spot, but I put a third speaker in that middle hole to improve the sound coming out of the dash, so that original ford amp is sitting on the shelf in the garage. Putting a third speaker tied into both left and right channels in that middle position REALLY improves the sound quality coming from the dash area.

As for the odometer, well that's an interesting question. At one point it stopped working ( the entire speedometer actually, including mph and odometer ! ) so that was interesting. I actually drove it for about a year that way before fixing it. Ha! So, there are some miles "missing". Today it reads 82K ( as in 182K since it flipped a long time ago ). I would estimate 8-10K are missing from the odometer reading. Keep in mind, this is all on the original engine which has never been rebuilt or even "cracked into" in any major way. Knock on wood.

-Eric
    Last edited by eric; 01-11-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Wow!!! That is a beautiful GT!!! Kudos to you for keeping her all these years & still showing her the love she deserves.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Thanks for all the nice comments about my car. And yes, I am still getting a lot of enjoyment out of her "after all these years".

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Looks nice, always enjoy seeing the 2 tone 4 eyed cars...
    Are there any stats available as to how many two-tones where produced by year?

Very nice!! I miss my 86 GT everyday.
    95 Taurus SHO MTX-Sold. 92 Capri XR2 1.6 Turbo-Sold. 86 Mustang GT 5.0-Sold. 01 Focus ZX3-Sold.16 Focus SE 1.0L Ecoboost 6 Speed Manual-Daily 1978 Ford Fairmont I6 - Family Cruiser

Love that car!
    1966 Mustang Coupe-- 1st car at 14yrs old- SOLD
    1965 Mustang Coupe-- 2nd Mustang at 15 - SOLD
    1966 Mustang GT Fastback -- 3rd Mustang- SOLD
    1986 Mustang GT T- Tops -- 4th Mustang- SOLD
    1986 Mustang GT Hardtop (White 86) 5th - SOLD
    1992 Mustang LX Convertible 5.0 6th - SOLD
    1985 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 7th - SOLD
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 347 8th - SOLD
    1987 Mustang GT Hardtop- SOLD
    1988 Mustang GT T-top-- SOLD

Great ride - thanks for sharing.

If you've kept it serviced I'll give you a vote of confidence on your 190K mile motor as I also own a 1986 GT 5.0L 5-speed car.

Theres where the similarities might end. Ive always kept fresh oil in mine but otherwise it's been driven like it was stolen it's entire life. It got a mild SD friendly cam in the early 90's and two full seasons at the 1/4 mile drag strip. The engine never cared one bit. It never used a drop of oil until I threw on a small shot of NOS to "take care of" someone who had a Challenger that was quick but his mouth was quicker and needed to be silenced. It had 200K at that time and I was WAY lean on my tune!. I won that race back in the mid 90's but hurt the motor a little bit. Not so badly that you would notice though - I ran it from San Francisco to Omaha at an average speed of 105 MPH including rest stops and refuels about a year later. (No, I'm not kidding)

Then I drove it daily for several more years. I've never stopped beating it. These days it burns a lot of oil due to valve guides on the E6 heads being shot but it still runs like a top. Or maybe a raped ape? After i was done driving it all the time I started throwing mods at it. It has a typhoon EFI intake, large throttle body, headers, MAF conversion, etc. it pulls past 6000 so I usually throw full power shifts at 6100 to - hopefully - avoid the rev limiter.

If your motor started with 1/2 the life that mine had in it and you drove it only 75% as hard as I have driven mine, you still have a lot of life left in your motor!

Very nice!

Thanks for all the great feedback!

-Eric
    Last edited by eric; 05-24-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Great ride - thanks for sharing.

If you've kept it serviced I'll give you a vote of confidence on your 190K mile motor as I also own a 1986 GT 5.0L 5-speed car.

Theres where the similarities might end. Ive always kept fresh oil in mine but otherwise it's been driven like it was stolen it's entire life. It got a mild SD friendly cam in the early 90's and two full seasons at the 1/4 mile drag strip. The engine never cared one bit. It never used a drop of oil until I threw on a small shot of NOS to "take care of" someone who had a Challenger that was quick but his mouth was quicker and needed to be silenced. It had 200K at that time and I was WAY lean on my tune!. I won that race back in the mid 90's but hurt the motor a little bit. Not so badly that you would notice though - I ran it from San Francisco to Omaha at an average speed of 105 MPH including rest stops and refuels about a year later. (No, I'm not kidding)

Then I drove it daily for several more years. I've never stopped beating it. These days it burns a lot of oil due to valve guides on the E6 heads being shot but it still runs like a top. Or maybe a raped ape? After i was done driving it all the time I started throwing mods at it. It has a typhoon EFI intake, large throttle body, headers, MAF conversion, etc. it pulls past 6000 so I usually throw full power shifts at 6100 to - hopefully - avoid the rev limiter.

If your motor started with 1/2 the life that mine had in it and you drove it only 75% as hard as I have driven mine, you still have a lot of life left in your motor!
    Love to hear stories like this! Thanks!

I drive my car pretty in a pretty "spirited" way on a daily basis now, but not like I used to push it.

I guess I have never truly abused it, but there were definitely quite a few times I did something and then thought later "that couldn't have been good for it".

I try to avoid those situations now.

So far so good, knock on wood. Based on what you are saying this thing could out last me. Which would be just fine.

-Eric

[QUOTE=Based on what you are saying this thing could out last me. Which would be just fine. [/QUOTE]

Just keep a good high detergent oil in it that's changed regularly and do normal maintenance like coolant flushes every 2-3 years, etc.

I am a firm believer in teflon treatments like Slick50 but you can over use them. I did - one treatment every 4000 miles unseated my rings after 14K. I had to treat it with borax to break the glaze and renew the ring's sealing ability. Gutsy move but it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast