Close

Default New Hertz SVO Owner!

I just purchased a 1985 Hertz SVO, Mine is a 9L, so it appears to be 1 of 40 and 1 of 14 that were 9L's. If anyone can shed more light on i would appreciate it. It has 75K miles, has the original drivetrain and is almost all original. I just drove it home 150 miles and it drove well and was a very tight car, probably the tightest driving fox body I have ever drove. It needs a few small items, a dash pad, headliner and that's pretty much it. Has the stock exhaust, but it has duel flowmaster 44's in it's near future. Any input about the numbers would be appreciated. Documentation included. Mine has the etched glass with the vin.Name:  15895333_1360558580663667_150394448618796002_n.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  80.7 KBName:  15894341_1360584630661062_6626280797269138726_n.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  223.9 KBName:  15940854_1360558540663671_8931289414860340652_n.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  64.6 KBName:  15895423_1360558527330339_4350929348172200375_n.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  71.0 KB

Welcome and congrats on the car. There is a section in the forum that you can post the buck tag and door tag up and they will get decoded. Also if you get a "Marti report" that may also help answer some of your questions.

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Thanks, Unclesams_SVO. I got some help on here a few days ago and got it figured out. It is definatley one of the original hertz cars! I just got my flowmaster exhaust put on yesterday, definatly changed the way the car spools up. We are getting a break in our weather in a few days so I will be able to put in the new head liner, dash pad and finish the car out. I am very happy at the way the car is coming along.

After finding out how much it's going to cost to properly restore, I have chose to list the car on Ebay. I love the car, but I don't think I can afford to do a full resto and I don't have the skillset to do the work myself. I have made many improvements on the car already and still have a few more to go before it finds it new home, but I think I'm gonna stick with my supercharged GT. When I bought the SVO I had accepted that I would have to sell the GT as I couldn't afford both, but after having them both, I really like my convertible supercharged GT better.

Quote Originally Posted by 85SVOHERTZ View Post
    After finding out how much it's going to cost to properly restore, I have chose to list the car on Ebay. I love the car, but I don't think I can afford to do a full resto and I don't have the skillset to do the work myself. I have made many improvements on the car already and still have a few more to go before it finds it new home, but I think I'm gonna stick with my supercharged GT. When I bought the SVO I had accepted that I would have to sell the GT as I couldn't afford both, but after having them both, I really like my convertible supercharged GT better.
    Sorry to hear that you are giving up on the car so soon. The cost of restoration is based on the condition of the car. Better the car, typically the lower the cost to restore. Not everyone uses the word "restore" the same way. My definition is "as it left the assembly plant". That being said, would like to see a few under carriage pics, and more engine and interior pics of the car. Please either post here or on your eBay ad.

Thanks and good luck.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Bluemax, the undercarriage is pretty good, when the exhaust was getting put on it i got to walk underneath it while it was on the lift and the car was very very solid underneath and not rusty. There were three places I noticed. light surface rust on the bottom of the actual doors on the inside portion and underneath around where the rear seats would be there was a crack on each side that seemed to follow the floor pans, the were barely noticable but there. The mechanic is a friend that I trust and he said he had seen many cars the age of this one that didn't look as good. He said it was solid but reccommened subframe connectors to stop the two cracks from getting worse. after reading on this forum it appears that the stress cracks were very common. I have been doing some thinking. I may stop the auction prior to the reserve being met and finish the resto and see how I like the car after it's done. My only issue is I don't feel the car is appreciated as a collector car. I don't see this car pulling the money it should based on it's rarity and availability. Common mass produced models such as the trunk cars and 85GT's seem to bring more money and better interest. The Ebay auction was a way for me to test the market and see if it was a lukewarm or hot item. The page views have been high, the bids have been steady, but I put a buy it now price that is right in line of mass produced GT's with similar miles and on day two the buy it now has not been used. So maybe the Hertz aspect of this car isn't important enough for the collectors. I see LX truck cars every day in similar condition to this car in the 10-12K price range and they were mass produced.

I ended the Auction. I decided to keep the car and completely finish it out. So look forward to seeing posts as I progress in the restoration!

Quote Originally Posted by 85SVOHERTZ View Post
    I ended the Auction. I decided to keep the car and completely finish it out. So look forward to seeing posts as I progress in the restoration!
    Glad to hear this... and looking forward to your posts as you continue working on her!

The SVO is a unique car in that most people shy away from the turbo four (prefer the V rather than appreciate the handling aspects of the car. In stock trim, the SVO will easily handle a GT on a road course. I had a lot of fun at Barber a few years back giving the SN95 Cobras fits thru the corners. They had me on the front stretch, but the rest of the course was mine.

As for the "Hertz" aspect, maybe a slight uptick in value (if you have documentation), but it really comes down to the quality of the car itself. While SVO specific parts are getting harder to find, they are still available from various collectors.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Bluemax, alot that your saying makes sense. I have full documentation of the Hertz aspect of the car, but since the SVO wasn't a Shelby car, they Hertz factor dosen't help much. I have settled on my build plan. I'm gonna bump the HP 150 to 200 HP over stock, keep the exterior basically stock in appearance and I'm gonna upgrade the interior with nice seats and I will retain all original parts but I think I want to make it more straightline savvy and make it truly what I want instead of what everyone else wants. I have notice alot of Fbody cars even heavily modified bringing premiums. So My goal is to make a 400 RWHP car that looks basically stock other than tires and rubber on the exterior and make the interior a little nicer with modern seats and just enjoy the car.