Close

Default Ford Racing and the 1986 5.0 cylinder head

In 1985 when the Elliotts were dominating the NASCAR circuit, there was a lot of speculation about their heads. Hot Rod and Circle Track both ran articles about the Larry Widmer, "Soft Head." The design concept was high-swirl and high compression resulting in greater torque but not much more horsepower. It seems that the '86 heads used this concept with the '85 heads making 10 more HP, but the '86 making 15 lb/ft more torque. My questions are how much did one influence the other? What came first, the manufacturer's application of this tech to street cars then experimentation by Widmer? Or did Widmer pioneer the design and Ford passenger car power guys pick up on it after seeing the success on the track. Then, of course, there is the denial by the Elliotts that they even used Widmer's heads. I just wonder because I've got an '86 and it's torquey as hell but those heads are universally panned.

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/Ho...ng_Heads_1.jpg
    Last edited by rose62; 01-06-2017 at 07:05 AM.

I believe the 15 ft/lb increase was from the long runner FI intake in '86..

Perhaps you're right. But, I seem to remember that the '86 heads incorporated swirl tech and a quick search shows that they're about a half point higher in compression than the '85's.

Smaller chamber and the 86 "flat tops" have higher compression and a slight dish. Overall, the 85 heads were much better. Id guess efi made most of the improvements.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

There's a reason the high-swirl head was one year only.

Also, take anything you read about Widmer with a grain of salt.

If they were better on torque, ford would have kept them for trucks. Instead they got thrown on lopo crowvics till the 4.6 came about.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Apparently Widmer is big into Honda's these days. He's got an interesting website. Lots of technical stuff. But good reading.