Close

Default Help identifying my differential

Hey, I'm currently rebuilding my 7.5 rest axle in my 1984 mercury Capri, switching from 3:08 to 3:73 and converting to 5 lug. It doesn't have the original differential carrier in it but it does have a ford ring and pinion. I can't find any markings on it other than part number that goes to a Chicago rawhide pinion seal and C-S which I believe stands for carbon steel? The carrier itself is two pieces that are held together with bolts from the ring gear side. What really stumps me is that the shims for there carrier bearings are just 1/4 inch thick solid blocks. It was in there TIGHT. Had to spresd the case and beat it out via the pinion. How is the rear end set? It has been wearing perfectly and has good backlash and all that's good. I think its an auburn but I don't understand the shims or pretty much the entire rear end. ThanksName:  20170105_203858.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  135.7 KBName:  20170105_203920.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  156.3 KB

FEP Senior Member

Looks like a cone type Auburn. They aren't rebuildable. I had one and the cones wore out, into the junk pile. Yes the stock shims are solid pieces that come in many different thicknesses. They have to be chosen to get the right backlash and bearing preload when installed. There are shim packs that use multiple shims per side to get what you need. Usually there are two thick ones per side and several thin ones in multiple thicknesses to get what you need for both sides. The carrier should be in snug, but not to the point of needing a four foot pry bar and a lot muscle. A dead blow hammer should be able to tap it in when the right shims are used.

Looks like a stock differential to me. That type was used before the 1985 model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

That is a stock 1984 7.5 locking differential. While they are in place tightly it should have come out fairly easily if pried straight out. When I pulled mine out it took longer to undo the clips to release the axles than pull the carrier.

Yep, Cone type 7.5. Jump forward to assembly now. This rear end has cast single price shims to set the backlash, I broke one, but I need to move the carrier out roughly 12 thousands to get the proper backlash anyways. My question is, I can probably make the correct size out of the shims in my rebuild kit but the largest shim that it comes with is .100. I need about .290 on one side and .252 on the other. It doesn't look like there's much that holds the Shims in place between the race the housing. I found a bunch of new old stock ford one peice shims on ebay for 25 bucks a price, but that is going to add up very fast. Is there a place I can get those thick shims? I've read that you can get forged ones instead of the fragile cast ones but its kinda hard to find parts for a 7.5. Just wanna hear your guy's opinions, thanks.

I have been told the 7.5 and 8.8 carrier shims are the same, but I haven't checked for myself. If you have any u pull junkyards nearby you can probably get some more from a Ranger. You probably already know this, but the 7.5s don't stand up to much.

Cale

Okay got the back lash set to .009 and I'm trying to read my contact pattern. I'm applying pressure to the Carrier but the pattern still isn't coming out very well, I think its because how cold It is. Anyways, I think I'm ballpark and its down to the small adjustments, but what do you guys think? Name:  20170110_135336.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  86.3 KBName:  20170110_135316.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  93.4 KBName:  20170110_135256.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  98.0 KB
    Last edited by Byers; 01-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.

FEP Senior Member

That looks fine, and backlash is good too.