Close

Default 83 Capri RS A/C retro fit

My 1983 capri turbo RS has the very cool black brushed gauge surrounds. The car was built without air-conditioning but in the restoration process I will be adding it. I got a complete air-conditioning system and dash from a 1986 2.3 mustang. I would like to utilize the 1986 gauge surround because it has the center vent however it also has a gray checked patterned face. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to remove the painted face and replicate the black brushed face of the 1983 – so as to utilize the center event for the air-conditioning system.

Many thanks!

Pictures of both please

Honestly the easiest and most likely cheapest option will be to utilize a vinyl wrap.

Here is one option. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1518963...&ul_noapp=true

Name:  Black Brushed 3m.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  100.4 KB

No need to remove the paint from the surround. Just clean well, then apply the vinyl wrap and trim as needed. The black brushed face can be done with paint, but is much more involved. Obviously the other option is to post a WTB in the classifieds for an OEM A/C equipped instrument cluster surround. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That's not a bad idea. For the guy who asked for pictures I'll try for some tomorow.

There are some guys here who do custom appliques for 4-eye dash bezels. Stymees'mont is one of them. I'll bet he could duplicate the look, then just like the vinyl wrap, you'd just put it on top of the "graph paper" look.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

That's an awesome idea Trey! Have you done that on one before? I hope someone does as I would like to see how it turns out.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    That's an awesome idea Trey! Have you done that on one before? I hope someone does as I would like to see how it turns out.
    No I have not done that one yet. I had looked at it as an option for possibly my 82 GT. I have a couple of rolls of vinyl wrap that were originally going to be used on my 82 GT, but since I ended up painting it anyways . . .

I am actually going to wrap my 85 GT Road Racer with a silver matte with grey matte accents. I will also use the Lime green wrap on the 82 GT, but I am not there just yet. I unfortunately have too much other work that needs to be done before I make it to the interiors.

I do have samples of all the 3M wraps, Vvivid Vinyl, and Avery to look as when I was searching for options. Pretty cool stuff and so much easier than trying to do most of these in paint IMHO. I will be using more of it as I move along with my Foxes.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller