Close

Default 1979-1982 2.3 carb turbo con rods. Were they upgraded with the EFI 2.3 TURBO?

Are 2.3 OHC carb turbo con rods like the other later EFI Turbo engines?

Like when the 79 to 80 US market 2.3 liter Turbo Carb engine suffered the rod failure in service, did FoMoCo do anything about the conrod forging aftwerwards?

I've heard most of that was the carb turbos complicated systems and its high 9:1 compression and 87 octane compression ratio related matters, not really an inadequate con rod design.

I've noted that all the 1969 to 1974 Pinto 2.0 engines 5" long rods were standard forged connecting rods, and very strong.

Blocks, Pistons, Rods, Cranks & Flywheels in Chapter Seven page 93 to 106

https://www.scribd.com/doc/26804743/...s-David-Vizard

When the early 2300 Limas were all strong forged rods as far as I can tell. Although there was a deleated oil feed hole on the early 5.2" rods, and a smalle 0.912" wrist pin, and Ford did do an early inservice replacement for some 2.3 engines.

http://natomessageboard.com/ubbthrea...&Number=130661

The 2.3 Carb Turbo had forged pistons as well as really good forged conrods occording to my sources.

Ford only ever downgraded the small in line sixes to cast iron and that all the 1976-1980 US 250 engine rods were cast iron

All the 1978-1983 3.3 engines were cast iron.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Are 2.3 OHC carb turbo con rods like the other later EFI Turbo engines?
    Yes - The 2.3 con rods used in the EFI turbo motors used the same con rod that was used in the carb turbo motors. Look for the D4 engineering stamp on the rod. All Lima 2.3's used the same rod from the factory.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Thanks. Always the same rod.

Detonation kills rods, even strong ones.

I'm impressed with the changes Dearborn did to this rework of the Cologne SOHC. Seams like they got all the basics bang on the first year in 74.

I guess the rod drilling for under piston and thrust face oiling, was the only production viariation.