Close

Default New LTD wagon! One quick question.......

Hi everyone. Picked up an 86 LTD wagon this past weekend -- my second Fox ( had an 88 Mustang 4 cylinder years ago ).

Looking forward to learning and posting about the car. Don't know what my plans are for it yet, but that will come soon.

I do have one question: I have a line on a set of cheap 16x7 pony mustang rims. Will these fit with a set of 225/50/16's? Anyone have experience with this set-up? I read through 25 pages of posts, and came across conflicting results.

Cheers everyone! Here's a pic of my new ride.

Name:  DSC_0491 (2).jpg
Views: 238
Size:  147.1 KB

FEP Senior Member

You might want to re think the 225/50 idea. too short of a tire, a 225/55 or 245/50 would work better.

FEP Senior Member

You might want to re think the 225/50 idea. too short of a tire, a 225/55 or 245/50 would work better. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...2&d=1429652602

FEP Senior Member

that is a 225/50 16 on pony wheels, with bullet springs, and a 1987 big brake upgrade

FEP Senior Member

great looking car.Color is right.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

FEP Senior Member

Nice car. Are you the guy from North Carolina?

Good looking car! I'd join the folks in saying go taller on the tire. To me, filling the wheelwell looks much better.
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Nice car. Are you the guy from North Carolina?
    No, I'm in NE Ohio.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I did go with the 225/50/16 tire size -- I think it looks fine on an older wagon.

I do have another question: Is there a way to adjust the rear latch? I've got a good half inch of play when it's closed, and it rattles over bigger bumps.

Here's a pic with the new wheels/tires.

Name:  15941212_1843693005878469_4022299972026108024_n (2).jpg
Views: 181
Size:  168.3 KB

For what it's worth, i have 225/50 16s on my car, and they look and fit great. A 16 is a relatively big wheel for these older plain wrapper cars, so a thinner tire looks fine.

The difference with mine is though that I have SN95 suspension (minus the control arms) and high offset wheels, but they probably end up sitting in roughly the same place as yours. Love your car by the way! I'd LOVE to have myself a slant-nose wagon!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by majo View Post
    No, I'm in NE Ohio.
    Ah. I drove down and looked at it on the 29th. He said he had another guy from North Carolina send him a deposit check on it a few days earlier, but had to rescind it because his source of funds ran dry. Overall I thought it was a pretty nice car. First thing I would do it tear out that buzzer you get when the key is in the ignition and throw it in a nearby lake or river.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Ah. I drove down and looked at it on the 29th. He said he had another guy from North Carolina send him a deposit check on it a few days earlier, but had to rescind it because his source of funds ran dry. Overall I thought it was a pretty nice car. First thing I would do it tear out that buzzer you get when the key is in the ignition and throw it in a nearby lake or river.
    Yeah, that buzzer is way annoying -- it's doubled if you don't have your seat belt buckled when first inserting the key.

The body on the car is really nice for being 31 years old. I do need to fix the exhaust, rear latch, and hunt down a small coolant leak. I may try to fix the AC too.

Great looking wagon. The pony wheels look much better on there than I imagined.
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

Nice wagon! I like it a lot!

Congrats on that new wagon!
    Sure looks nice!