Close

Default AFR Gauge Recommendations

Since I am carbed, I would like to add the capability of monitoring AFR onboard. I think this will be beneficial across the board, especially with tuning, but the choices are endless.

What are your guy's recommendations for this? Analog, digital, single sensor, dual sensor?
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I have no expierence with these setups, but I would definately get a duel bank. So you get the best reading from each side. A friend used the FAST setup and it seemed to be a good unit.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I was also thinking a dual bank but not sure if it was worth the extra cost with a carbed motor.
    Brock

FEP Supporter

I've yet to install or do any tuning with it but I've purchased the AEM 30-4900 wideband set up. I went with this model because it has the ability to log vacuum without any extra parts. I expect that to be helpful when I get to dialing in my carb.

In the past I had an Innovate LM1 with the aux input peripheral that I used on another Mustang I had. It worked OK I guess, but I seem to remember it being a little buggy and somewhat temperamental. I remember always having to do "set up stuff" multiple times before I'd get it working.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Since I am carbed, I would like to add the capability of monitoring AFR onboard. I think this will be beneficial across the board, especially with tuning, but the choices are endless.

What are your guy's recommendations for this? Analog, digital, single sensor, dual sensor?
    I don't have any WB tuning experience, only seat-of-the-pants and NB with a digital multi-meter reading O2 sensor mV's, but I do know that you will be handsomely rewarded in the fuel-efficiency department and by how well it runs (and by how much longer plugs and oil stay clean, etc.) by dialing in the idle/transition circuit to the absolutely possible above and beyond "stoich" 14.7:1 with a WB, as well as to verify safe ~12.5:1 WOT mixture, Brock.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 01-02-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Member

I've used a couple, and in spite of the low price of the AEM unit it worked great. Used it to tune my Lightning with SCT's PRP software to the point it drove like stock and made 697/734 HP/TQ at the tire. IMO if you have an X-pipe or H-pipe in the exhaust the dual in not necessary. Sure, you might be able to get a little closer to ideal with one assuming you have a dual plane intake, but are you going to run different jets left to right on your motor? I liked the first one so much I put one in my Superduty to tune it with my PRP. Since it has been dialed in for years I plan on removing the gauge from that truck and putting it in my Fairmont.

I used the Innovate LM-2 and did not have any setup problems. I can recommend this unit. I got the optional pulse monitor to log engine speed, but this part didn't always work and I never followed up with Innovate to troubleshoot, since I knew what I needed from the AFR. See the following thread for some of my tuning escapades.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...180-AFR-tuning

This is more of a tool to use temporarily, since the display/control unit is about the size of a large calculator. I would not recommend the gauge-sized units that you'd mount on the A-pillar because it can be a distraction if you are trying to watch AFR during a full-throttle run. Besides, I think you learn a lot more by looking at the overall trend of the run, not a couple of snapshots with your eyes. So I strongly suggest getting a unit that allows data capture and replay. I kept it hooked up and in my glove box when I was tuning. I didn't try to look at the unit during runs, but used the data logging feature and viewed the captured trends on my laptop at home. See some of the trends in the thread above. I used SnagIt to add the comments. One thing about this unit is that it must be powered on to let the O2 sensor heat up before starting the car. I kind of got tired of that, so I removed the O2 sensor (replaced it with a plug) and the unit and wiring, since I'm not actively tuning for now. I could re-install in about 30 mins. I only bought the single-channel unit, figuring that there won't be a big difference in cylinder banks. And because of the passenger side lightoff cat in my y-pipe, there wasn't really room to install another O2 sensor on that side ahead of that cat. They do offer a dual-channel unit if you want to monitor both sides at the same time. If you have true dual exhaust, I'd recommend getting O2 bungs installed on both sides, but only buy the single channel unit (cheaper). Then get most of your tuning dialed in on one side and swap the O2 sensor to the other side to confirm the readings there. Otherwise, spend more $$ for the dual-channel unit. The y-pipe in the thread above is the original 84 pipe. I have since installed an 85 y-pipe (much larger) and headers, but the O2 bung location is about the same.
    Last edited by Saturn V; 01-03-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

All great suggestions and recommendations guys. I appreciate it.

Since my car has an aftermarket exhaust on it, my current x-pipe already has the bungs in it for the O2 sensors. In fact, it still has the sensors in it even though they are probably fouled by now.

I'm slightly leaning towards the AEM unit that qikgts posted as it appears that it does data logging and can also be used as a full time gauge. Am I right with that analysis?
    Brock

I had been looking at this one a while back for my 84. Not sure if/how it would work as opposed to the one qikgts posted.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...4110/overview/

FEP Member

Since it doesn't sound like you are datalogging anything else, getting a unit that does it is a great plan. The cheap AEM UEGO has an analog output that I use to datalog AFR on my laptop with the SCT software. You really need to be able to see what the AFR is at a given RPM and load to really dial in your AFR. Going to be more challenging without a graphic overlay of at least those parameters.

As for running it full time, that is not a problem. They will last for years just like any 02 sensor.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    ... it appears that it does data logging and can also be used as a full time gauge. Am I right with that analysis?
    You are correct Brock.
    '85 GT

+1 on the Innovate Motorsports setup. I have the MTX-L that I use to check my tune from time to time.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

I also bought the innovate afr gauge along with the aux box so that I could log afr, rpm, boost/vacuum, throttle input ect. I haven't yet installed any of this yet but the big reason I went with innovate was the afr sensor can be recalibrated to keep it as accurate as possible unlike the aem. But my info is 2yrs old at least. I also went with the db digital gauge as I did not want some big light show just east to read numbers.
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551