Close

Default 1983 intake manifold

How does the stock intake manifold on the 1983/302/4bbl stack up against aftermarket offerings?

Working on a Capri and it still has the original intake. Since it's only a mild tune I wonder if there would be any value in looking at options.

Thanks.
    1983 Mercury Capri, FPRP shorty headers, BBK H-pipe, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Lunati cam, stock 4180C carb, 4-spd SROD tranny. Pretty vanilla...

I noticed a good gain in seat of the pants swapping mine for a Professional Products Typhoon, but I had worked over heads on the motor already to make use of it.

Cale

FEP Senior Member

The factory 83-85 5.0 4 barrel intake manifolds are pretty poor. They are very low, with tiny ports. I have gone 12.3ET s with the stock E4 intake manifold in my 85 Mustang NHRA M/Stocker, which requires the use of almost all the factory components, but once in testing, I bolted on a Edelbrock Performer RPM, and with no other changes, ran 11.7s. I did this to see how poor the stock intake was, I found out its pretty damn bad! Even an Edelbrock Performer 289 would be a noticeable improvement.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Look at the flow bench tests on your intake vs aftermarket. It's not AS pathetic as the 86-93 EFI front and rear runners that only flow 110 CFM per port but it is as bad as the other 6 runners that only flow 130. 83 heads are a little off the pace in terms of flow numbers vs the E7's but they are not a pathetic 130/cyl.

YES! An intake will help you. And primarily up top where the power is. Don't go off the deep end with a single plane on a 302, but a dual plane with your existing 600 CFM carb rejetted will help you big time!

While le you are at it, how is your carb?

Personally, I grew to hate some things about Holley carbs, like the power valves that love to break when a cold engine leans out and pops out the carb. I rigged lights to preheat the carb bowls to help but it wasn't a complete answer. I went a bit too high rise on my intake choice which was part of the problem. Back when I ran a carb on my 351W I had DOOE fuelie heads and a 360 degree Offenhauser *under the hood* of my Galaxie with a mild cam. I threw a 650 double pumper Holley aside after the 10th time I fixed it and went Carter AFB. (Same as Edelbrock today afaik) I never looked back. That old gun boat blew the doors off of a few early 5.0L mustangs, but was too heavy to outrun an HO with a talented driver.

I have an 84 with stock heads and cam. I changed out my stock intake to and Edelbrock performer rpm for the hell of it when I got the new Holley 600 carb. Noticed more power above 3500 rpm. Could have been the new carb I guess, but I really think it was the intake.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I swapped out my stock intake manifold with a Weiand Street Warrior while also using the same 4180C carburetor to keep it a fair comparison. I really haven't noticed a difference at all. I think the stock intake manifold works well for a stock motor, but I could definitely see where it would become a restriction when mated with hot heads being thumped with a healthy cam.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater