Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm Thinking I Want My 84 to ....

Stay an 84. Since I'm recovering from shoulder replacement surgery (I'm that guy you don't want to be) I've had time to mull over where I need to go with my coupe roller. I bought this car gutted out and no drivetrain, so it's essentially a blank canvas. That being said, I think the 84 front bumper is different and should probably stay in that direction. I've got a nice 84 LX bumper cover, but have bought 86 fog lights, light mount, front bumper and spats. Would the fog lights, mounting bar and spats work okay with a late 84 GT bumper cover or should I just go with the 86? I drive myself crazy buying stuff and selling at a loss because I change my mind, sometimes.

Thanks for your opinions

Jim

The 83/84 models are unique and not seen regularly these days. The late 84 GT with the fog lights is definitely more rare and cool.

All your parts should work just fine with the late 84 GT bumper cover with the fog light openings.

Although I am a huge fan of the 85/86 models I would keep your 84 an 84 rather than update to the 85/86 style. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

From a guy who owns 2 83s and a late model 84 with fog lights. Keep it that way, they are getting harder to find.
    I am working on an 83 coupe t-top car right now. Blank canvas, I am going to make it a GT. Was originally a 6 banger. Since there were no GT coupes, mine will be a first and fun car build.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

I agree with keeping it an 83/84 also. The 85/86 foglight parts will work just fine with the 84 1/2 nose as my early 84 has a mixture of them. The hardest part of the conversion is finding the 84 1/2 nose, at a reasonable cost, as they are very far and few in between. I got lucky on mine but it does need some love.

Name:  1112161611.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  101.4 KB
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 12-31-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Although not necessarily any easier to find than the late 84 GT front bumper cover is the Motorsport lower air dam option. That can be used to convert any 83-86 front bumper cover (non fog lights) to the fog light style front cover and it doesn't require the front fender extensions since it wraps all the way around just like the SVO front cover.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Although not necessarily any easier to find than the late 84 GT front bumper cover is the Motorsport lower air dam option. That can be used to convert any 83-86 front bumper cover (non fog lights) to the fog light style front cover and it doesn't require the front fender extensions since it wraps all the way around just like the SVO front cover.
    ^^^ also that is a good option. On top of that, if you wanted to go a good looking "cheap" route, you could go the way of a Xenon airdam. Would have to get creative with foglights, but it has been done.

Name:  IMG_1833.JPG
Views: 602
Size:  150.9 KB

I would have almost gone this way earlier, but I had the wrong year dam for mine.
    Brock

The Xenon is a good looking front air dam/spoiler, but for me it looks better with a full aero kit rather than by itself. Although your opinion may vary!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I have an 83 coupe and just got a good complete 84 gt nose set up. Fog light bar,lights,spats whole nine yards. Im building a 84 20th Anniversary Coupe that never existed. And doing it completely period correct. Cant wait to post pics on here. Keep an 83,84 a 83,84. You will get more looks for keeping it that way and the uniqueness of the 83,84 nose is unmistakable over the 85,86. Keep in mind if you find a 84.5 Gt nose even if it's ripped it can be fixed. That was a half year nose and they are hard to come by reasonable. There is one on here now for $375 shipped for every piece in great shape. Thats really cheap for light bar, fog lights, foglight bar, spats and all. Had I not have run across one local for $250 with everything I was going to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I'm sitting here with an 83 GT that never even had the fog light option.

But, on the bright side, I got the V8, AND, the scoop!

Now if my car HAD a fog light option? Heck yes I'd find one and put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    And I'm sitting here with an 83 GT that never even had the fog light option.

But, on the bright side, I got the V8, AND, the scoop!

Now if my car HAD a fog light option? Heck yes I'd find one and put it on.
    DO IT ANYWAYS! It would look killer with the hood scoop......
    Brock

I am keeping mine with the 83 nose, it would look much nicer if I went with the 84 fogs but then it would be an 84. It will be all 83 except I am adding the scoop which did not come on the 83 GLX and adding GT dash and stickers. It should look pretty cool and if i ever sell it, someone could minimally change it back. I think all white with black interior and t tops will catch some eyes.
    I got a long way to go, I have all the parts except steering wheel and rims, not sure on rims., she is riding on Ponies right now. Oh and the Engine, just going to do a crate when I am ready.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Thanks for the head up on the bumper cover. Now I've got an 83-84 bumper cover and AB 86 GT bumper cover to get rid of. My wife is going to sh!t kittens

Jim

Keep in mind the 85-86 cover has the wrong style rub strip molded into it.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Thanks for the reminder. I'll just have to work through that. I have plenty of time to locate some. Priority right now is getting this thing painted! I keep running as hard as I can in reverse. I'm collecting so many parts I can hardly move around.

Regards
    Jim

84 1/2 GT bumper cover is on its way. I think on the overall it's a good decision. It will be some time before I can paint, so I can take my time to finish this out. My son, who is the peckerhead that got me into Mustangs again thinks I should stay with the 85-86 GT bumper cover I have, but he can go play with his 93 hatch. :0)

Jim

Get the one from SaturnV?
    Brock

Blog Entries

I'll be the odd man out, and say I never really cared for the 85-86 nose. Glad you are staying 83-84.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Yes, that is the one I bought. He seems like a nice guy and was willing to work with me on how it is going to be delivered. I guess the good news is my 85-86 GT nose should be easier to sell

Jim

Just unpacked the 84 1/2 GT bumper and it looks really good. Too bad I've got all this time and effort in the 85/86 GT bumper. I think I'll be more satisfied this way, though. Comes from my years as a 200 level NCRS judge. Even though I know this won't ever be a restored car, I tend to lean that way when I can

Jim

So, after a hiatus of three months I'm healed up enough to do a bit of work I dumped my MIG flux welder to get an Eastwood 135 MIG welder with shielding gas and the stud welder attachment, as well as the spot welder attachment. We'll see how that goes. I did have a chance to use the new welder to repair the radiator support frame. It had been pretty crunched up, both by someone using it to tow with and the bottom was crushed. My friend came over to help and we cut the bottom off the old radiator frame, measured the new (93) radiator frame and cut it a bit oversize. As everyone probably knows, the 87 to 93 radiator frames use a different support for the collapsible bumper supports. The general frame is the same, so cutting the bottom off a later model frame and welding it onto the existing frame is the best option (at least for me).

I measured from the inside of the top of the new frame to the bottom of the new frame to get that dimension, as the old frame was too deformed to trust anything from it. After squaring things up and cutting off the excess, the lower portion was tack-welded onto the upper portion.

I really thought this was going to be much more difficult, but it actually was pretty easy. Measure twice, cut once type of thing. The upper portion on the driver's side was so deformed I will have to tap it back in to line up with the new lower part. The ratchet strap is being used to keep the sides of the frames in the proper relationship, as everything is used to support everything else, if you get what I mean. Cut one part loose and things start flopping around. I will weld plates over the butt welds to strengthen the assembly before I take the strap off.

I hope this helps anyone wondering what to do about their beat up radiator support frame. The replacement sold by various parts places don't have the primary side and would be a bunch of extra work to fit.

While I'm at it,anyone know where I can find 84 side moldings? Unfortunately, I didn't get any moldings with the car

Jim
    Last edited by Vettn71; 01-27-2017 at 08:26 PM.

This is one option:

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6120938K/79...de-molding-kit

Only the door moldings are reproduced at this time. You would have to buy an extra door molding and cut it for the 4 other pieces between the wheels.

You will still have to reuse your original moldings that mate up to the bumpers front and rear. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks, Trey. Not good news. I'd think they'd be difficult to locate. I wouldn't want to mix and match these. Unfortunately, I didn't get moldings with the car, or brake lines, or wiring or ...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vettn71 View Post
    Thanks, Trey. Not good news. I'd think they'd be difficult to locate. I wouldn't want to mix and match these. Unfortunately, I didn't get moldings with the car, or brake lines, or wiring or ...

Jim

Ok, I understand. Luckily the body side moldings that butt up to the bumpers are the same for 79-84 Mustangs, 79-82 Capris (except the front fender side marker), and the rear SVO pieces. That at least allows you plenty of options to find some.

I would recommend a WTB ad in the Classifieds as I am sure some fellow members have what you are looking for. If you don't have any luck with that, PM me and I will check my stash of parts. I know I have some, just not sure if I have any I can spare right now.

Unfortunately the moldings between the wheels won't work because they are thinner than the moldings that match up to the bumpers.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller