Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New User

A few more.
    The well for the spare looks to be the same color as the pace car models.
    Also, was that how the shocks for the trunk lid attach on a coupe model? They are attached to a piece of angle that is screwed to the floor with two large self-tapping screws.
    I didn't take pics of the driver side since it was getting dark and it required removing the dress up kit on that side. Judging by the amount of mouse condos I found in the trunk I will take that side apart this weekend.

Name:  mus5bhb.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  64.3 KBName:  mus6bhb.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  79.4 KBName:  mus7bhb.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  54.7 KB

Having spent a few hours looking at the pictures sent, I concur the car started life as a fastback, and someone (not any of the aftermarket companies I've ever seen, and I've seen 99% of them up close and personal) spent a weekend in backyard engineering it into a convertible. Nice looking on the outside, but a true nightmare on the inside. Since you have a shop with the capabilities, I'd start with the grinding down and re-welding of the panels, add some additional substructure/strapping , grind down and fill/smooth the panel overlap, add some panel adhesive instead of filler (I like 2 part . 3M) and smooth out accordingly before spraying some sound deadener over it once fully cured..Of course a good weld through primer at the start, as you can already see the corrosion attacking the poor stitch welding job.

Again, I'll stand behind my words, that this was a figment of someones imagination, when I had my shop, I did something similar on a dare from my painter and a 1983 fastback. Last I saw of it, it was being used as a "lemons" race car (circa 2010).....I'm suspecting some lower chassis torsional twist, have you had it up on a frame rack at your shop yet?

This one, not a Rousch or Ford spec, not even a prototype, just a backyard conversion by someone with moderate talent and access to both a fastback body, and a 83/84 convertible parts car

Bill S
    Last edited by mrmustang; 01-24-2017 at 09:17 PM.

New User

Bill. Thanks for your assessment. I have not put the car on my lift yet. I need to get a picture of the underside of a stock 79 Mustang and compare it to what I have. I did look underneath the car and it does look like they added subframe connectors (unless those are standard).

I just talked to my boss again about the car. Althou he doesn't know any of the history behind the car besides what he was told he was adamant about one thing he mentioned when I first looked at the car. His friend that owned the bodyshop where he had the work done did contact the coach company about the car since he had a couple of questions. That was my bosses words (coach company). apparently there was some paperwork with the car when he bought it in 1989 but that has disappeared. He can't even find the title for the car.

I will take a couple of pics of the hardware that holds the top to the windshield to see if you might recognize anything. Right now this car is on the back burner while I work on the wife's Daytona clone.

Again, appreciate all the time you put in to help cipher this all out.

Quote Originally Posted by NHCharger View Post
    Bill. Thanks for your assessment. I have not put the car on my lift yet. I need to get a picture of the underside of a stock 79 Mustang and compare it to what I have. I did look underneath the car and it does look like they added subframe connectors (unless those are standard).

I just talked to my boss again about the car. Althou he doesn't know any of the history behind the car besides what he was told he was adamant about one thing he mentioned when I first looked at the car. His friend that owned the bodyshop where he had the work done did contact the coach company about the car since he had a couple of questions. That was my bosses words (coach company). apparently there was some paperwork with the car when he bought it in 1989 but that has disappeared. He can't even find the title for the car.

I will take a couple of pics of the hardware that holds the top to the windshield to see if you might recognize anything. Right now this car is on the back burner while I work on the wife's Daytona clone.

Again, appreciate all the time you put in to help cipher this all out.
    PM me the VIN

after all the build up what is the real scoop on the car
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Quote Originally Posted by mongusta View Post
    after all the build up what is the real scoop on the car

OP's Last Activity 05-14-2017 08:38 PM

We may never know.

I'd like to know too

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123