Close

Default What or how turns the turbo light in dash

Ive been wondering what turns that light on. Besides the obvious boost build... But is it a vacuum/boost line or is it a electric signal?

As far as I know its vacuum, mine is a 2.3 EFI car
    Last edited by 8384GT; 12-29-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Current Cars:
    83 GT Turbo All org w/ org paint 127k miles
    84 GT350 5.0 Period correct changes 5spd T Top 44k org miles
    83 LTD Wagon I6 65k miles
    2010 Mercury Milan AWD
    2019 Flex SEL

Past Cars: 79 Pace Car 5.0 Auto, 80 I6 Coupe, 79 I6 Coupe, 81 4cyl Coupe, 92GT, 83 Capri RS Turbo, 82GT TTop, 83 GT 5.0, 84 GT350 5.0 Auto, 86 ASC Capri coupe #1, 78 5.0 Granada Coupe, 03 MACH 1 2013 Flex Limited

In the early 2.3 carb turbo models, there are 4 switches that convert a vacuum signal into electric.
    One is to light up TURBO.
    The other switches are for ignition timing and bottom red overboost warning light
    Vacuum source for all switches is direct from the intake manifold.
    ? on what later EFI 2.3T cars have.
    Last edited by gr79; 11-23-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Awesome, prob is in the vac stuff over the duraspark isnt it? Or is there something i might be missing under the intake manifold... Dont know

The solenoids are located on the passenger side of the engine compartment on the backside of the shock tower. One for boost and another one for overboost.
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

Gr8teSeventyNine strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    As far is i can figure, control assy pictured controls timing, red engine light,flasher and buzzer, green turbo light.
    The dash lights are triggered by pre-set boost values sensed by the manifold pressure switches thru vacuum connections.

I believe the top pair of switches are for the lights,etc, bottom pair for ignition timing control.
    Each pair consists of one high and one low limit switch.

Assy. is connected electrically to one plug of the 3 plug DY-237-A ignition module (yellow strain)

Default notes 2.3T v1

yup can tell its my car-
    80's Motorsport sticker on the washer fluid tank.
    Dip-It yellow dipstick handle color mod.

The switch array has to last forever, or until a backup spare can be found. Too many have been crushed away by now.
    Been searching for years on what exact parts were used, hoping to completly recreate another or at least have spare parts.
    No luck finding any spare parts or any tech info of what they are.
    May be a lot about it has faded away, been lost, records stored and forgotten, or discarded forever.

The TURBO light is triggered by one of the assy sensors.
    The sensor assy and bracket is located in front of DS strut tower fastened to the fender apron above the Duraspark box.
    Basically a stand alone assy, trick connections to intake manifold vacuum and the electrical system.
    Of the two top switches, either the orange or green color one turns on the turbo light.
    Pumping a few pounds of air pressure into one of the switch hoses will turn on a light at key on position.
    79 EVTM shows r/y H wire for the turbo boost on indicator.
    Another switch controls the overboost buzzer, overboost warning indicator, and a blinker.
    Add to the mix a hot oil temp switch screwed into the block, some diodes, the fuse block, and ignition switch.
    All connected to work together and do important turbo system duty with no computer.

A related circuit diagram shows all ground thru the pressure switch assy's metal bracket itself.

Correct total switch count is 5. Two on 'top shelf' of two level metal bracket, 3 more on the lower shelf.
    Again, no info about any of the switches anywhere i looked in the 1979 EVTM, shop manual, online.

If the green 'Turbo' plastic lens in the cluster mask plate is faded, a green 194 bulb will darken it again like new
    If the red ones are faded, red 194 bulbs.
    Last edited by gr79; 11-23-2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: rewrote to confuse more

More documentation...

Which solenoid is the one shown in the below link???

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...onic-component

Let me know if anyone needs this part.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI