Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Common LTD/Marquis Issues?

Hello,

I am going to look at an LTD wagon for sale. It has the v6 and looks to be in decent condition. I am not so concerned about any mechanical issues (suspension, trans, engine, etc.). Living in Michigan my main concern is rust. Are there any common structural rust areas on these cars that I need to pay special attention to?

The most hidden, not easily seen places, is where moisture parks it's a$$ and goes to work, rusting structural and floor pans. Get a good set of coveralls and crawl all around underneath it for a good close look at those out of the way areas. Front and rear "frame" rails where their ends are one with floor pans, etc...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

My LTD has solid floors but the bottoms of the doors and lower lip of the trunk lid have nearly rusted through. From what I gather that is pretty common.

FEP Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. I went to look at the car last Thursday. It was an overall very nice and solid car, but it had some very minor rust starting to blister on the bottom of the doors, doglegs, and quarter panel bottoms. Most people probably would have been fine with it, but living in Michigan I am extremely sensitive to any rust so I passed. I have my eyes on another wagon, but it is a bit further away.