Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1980 turbo Fairmont all original 35,033miles northern Ca

1980 Ford Fairmont turbo sedan
    2.3l turbocharged engine
    Auto transmission
    Air conditioner
    Am radio
    35,033 miles

Rare car being that there was only 1158 turbo fairmont's produced total.Available in 1980 only.(from what I've read)
    This 4 cylinder engine beat out the V8 engine in available horsepower ratings by nearly 30hp
    And was mostly in the Futura along with Zephyr Z7 coupes with most of those cars being 4 speed manual cars.

To find one of these cars from such an economic time as we have faced in the last few years with options that significantly increase the face value more than 50% of the standard base models.

Have fuel records from the first owner to 27,XXX miles.Second owner purchased it from the caretaker of the first owner after his passing and drove it the other 8,000 miles before parking it in late 2001 starting it on occasions.I stumbled upon the car looking for parts to finish my Ford Durango and recently discovering the rare oddity of these cars anymore as most were crushed or rotted out because there was not much of a following for them in years past.Anyways did an oil change a little fresh fuel and it fired right up runs drives and everything is in working condition.

I purchased with intentions of fixing its few blemishes and taking it to local shows being that their are so few out there and nearly none that are in such pristine condition unrestored,But have some projects that demand my attention that I should follow through with.

Body is in flawless condition with the exception of one ding near the left rear taillight on the quarter panel.Interior has sagging headliner and warped door panels on the front doors.

I will be asking $4500 for it in its present condition
    pictures are from when I was bringing it home,will get some more of it in the daylight soon as the storms clear.

Clean titled and on a non-opp as I start cleaning and fixing its small problems the price will of course increase.
    This car is located in Biggs,California.
    Thanks for reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Utte2; 01-03-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Rare, rare, rare! Not so desirable in my eyes, though. We need many more pictures from all sides, interior, etc, taken with good light.

Egads, why would anyone special order (presumably) 2.3T/auto/4-door/low-option (based on the one pic)

My Fairmont came from Grunwald Motors in Willows, btw.

GLWS

Mike

FEP Senior Member

I think that you are correct about the Turbo Fairmonts being only available in 1980, however, I think they were all automatics. Of course, until now, I also thought that they were only offered in the Futura body style, but obviously that information was wrong!
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Engine was available in all Fairmont and Zephyr models except wagon, only in the 1980 model year, and only with an automatic transmission.

Total production numbers are not known.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-16-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Utte2: a city and state, not a general location within a state or a state and zip code, are required for all classified ads. Please update. Thanks.

Ive seen one in futura style and box style. Never even knew they existed till I saw them. Strange thing is If I recall I think the two I saw were both 1 box version I saw was 2 door and not 4. Its been a little while since I seen it however so I may be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any more pics?
    Looking to buy a 1981-84 T-Top Coupe. Any motor, transmission, or color. Let me know what you have or find!

Interesting car. I had the same car but a 79 6 cylinder with very low miles and had a hard time selling. I hope you find the right buyer.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Engine was available in all Fairmont and Zephyr models except wagon, only in the 1980 model year, and only with an automatic transmission.
    -theres the problem...if they had put it in wagons, they woulda sold out....lol
    '87 Turbo Coupe - 660 mile original
    '86 Turbo Coupe - 74k mile stripper

I would love to have a Turbo box top. Auto or stick

Here is a few more!!

Trying to do this while actually getting something done at work.

Now for what you have been waiting for!

Would like to decode the vin,but have only been able to find 1979.
    anyone tell me where the buck tag would be?I have looked on the radiator support on drivers side,but haven't seen anything.

0 = 1980 model year
    K = Kansas City Assembly
    92 = Fairmont 4-dr sedan
    A = non-turbocharged/turbocharged 2.3L engine
    135604 = 35,604th 1980 Ford scheduled for production at Kansas City Assembly
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

Buck tag is on the top of the radiator support. It should have turbo on it. The number I have on them is 1188 too. I cant remember where I heard it. I have Marti reports on both of mine. According to Marti, the two door sedan (box top) there were 146 on my report.
    Kendal

Foxchassis-thanks for the breakdown of the vin.Didnt think about it. It that's what I decoded it with 1979 decoder just assuming that the 0 was for 80 vs 70.

Will be looking forward to the breakdown of the buck tag as soon as I find it.

1980 was last year that model year was 1st in VIN. Engine code "A" in 1980 VIN can be turbo or non-turbocharged. Need buck tag or build sheet for "T" turbo engine code.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Few picks after the cleanup.

Door Tag
    Date - 01/80 = January 1980 scheduled build
    GVWR - 4031 lb/1828 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
    Front GAWR - 2029 lb/920 kg = front gross axle weight rating
    Rear GAWR - 2020 lb/916 kg = rear gross axle weight rating
    F0085 = 85 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0072 = 72 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors- 3F = Light Medium Blue
    DSO - 71 = Los Angeles district sales office
    Body - 54B = Fairmont 4-dr sedan
    Int Trim - AB = vinyl bucket seating (A), Wedgewood Blue interior color (B)
    A/C - A = air conditioner
    R - 2 = AM radio
    S - 0 = no sunroof
    Ax - F = 3.45:1 axle ratio, non-locking differential
    Tr - V = C3 automatic transmission
    YY = front springs
    SS = rear springs
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Foxchassis-
    Thanks again.
    Like I said have been looking for the buck tag.I was think maybe it was in the same area that my '85 ssp was,but after searching around and having no luck I gave up deciding to go check my Durango found that one smack dab on top of the support!
    So I returned back to the Fairmont and it was not there it looks as if there never was on screwed there (still has paint in the hole)now I'm lost!
    Anybody ever found a buildsheet in their Fairmont?or a tag in a different location?

One more question everyone keeps asking "what number Durango do you have?"How do you tell?Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Utte2; 12-20-2016 at 12:03 AM.

Different assembly plants put the buck tag in different locations, and may even switch the location in the middle of or between model years. This 1980 turbo was made at Kansas City Assembly. Is your Durango the same model year and was it made at the same plant? I am not familiar with all the different locations the tag might be, for all the model lines/models, at all assembly plants. I am most familiar with Capri and Mustang, for the two plants they were built in (Dearborn and San Jose), and those two different plants did not put tags in the same location as the other. San Jose even switched locations of the tag from one side of the core support to the other side during the production run (1979-81) of the Capri/Mustang.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-20-2016 at 07:54 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

My build sheet was under the back seat
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    My build sheet was under the back seat
    Have you posted a pic of your sheet?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast