Close

Default Best Dashpad replacement

My 86 Gt is in need of a new dash top. I don't want the dash cap that goes over the existing dash pad (rather I want one of the several dashpads available from a few different companies).

Which pad does everyone recommend for stock like installation and fit. Also stock appearance best quality.

One more thing, I think my interior is charcoal but I also see smoke advertised. My dash pad seems to be a different shade than the rest of the dash which I don't mind if that's how it is supposed to be. thanks

see picture of my dash attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I just ordered a replacement dash pad (not cover) from American Muscle in dark grey. I'll post pics when it's installed. Thanks

Im following this Im ordering one shortly and Im very interested in the opinions of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search for the thread talking about dashes direct pad. I think they have a 3rd gen pad out now, but it only comes in black so it needs to be dyed.It seems to be the best available to date, but the hardcore purist still aren't happy 100% though. It also comes with a hefty price tag at around $300ish.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, I got mine from either FMR or Blue Oval Industries. It's okay. The newer ones are probably a better fit since they've gotten more feedback, I'm sure. I'm interested to see how yours fits.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Default Dash pad install

ok, just installed the dash pad today, I got it from American Muscle, it is made by dashes direct and is the actual pad not a pad cover up.
    All in all it installed ok. took me about 3 hours to get it right. I had to trial fit and remove several times to get the fit the best I could. Some trouble spots were in the mounting area where the defroster cut outs are the hole in the pad didn't align with the retainer on the dash hull. I had to remove some material from the underside of the dash pad to get it to lay down tighter towards that clip. I had some trouble at the attaching points above the glovebox. I had to redrill a hole in the retainer tab on the dash pad to lower the dashpad tighter to the hull. Also needed to trim the pad material around the 2 clips on the pad that fits over the glovebox area. Of note is that the screw holes in the defroster area are not drilled all the way through. I had to drill the holes all the way through. There are also no holes drilled for the 2 corners in the guage/hvac area. all in all don't expect this pad to just fall into place. You will need to work with it patiently in order to have successful results. The appearance of the material and color look great. The gap between the plastic hull and the ends of the pad as well as next to the hvac area are a little wider than stock but good enough. also above the guage bezel there is a slight gap that I don't remember with the original pad. Sorry I didn't take step by step pics but I tried to describe everything the best I could.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by crazyfox; 12-28-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Looks pretty darn good, love your interior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Is this their lastest generation pad? I don't haveany hvac and my current oem pad just lays in without any scrwes used. I'm still needing to finish my interior some day.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I guess it's their latest pad I ordered it 2 weeks ago you should have 2 screws in each defroster opening three screws across the top of your gauge bezel two more screws above the glove box panel and 2 more in the cut out for the gauges in the corners all of the holes online needed to be drilled through on the new pad

I would not have a problem with details as long as the final result looked factory and the price was right.

FEP Power Member

I did a manual search since the search button was not working. This seemed to be the most recent post on dash pads. I'm currently shopping for a red dash pad. I see the wavey urathane one is still around. The vinyl skinned dashes direct was the best as of last year. I just saw Scott Drake advertising their own dash pad. Both were found on Summit. Has anyone tried the Scott Drake pad? Is is any different from DD?
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Power Member

Well since no one replied, I went ahead and ordered one. I was beginning to see some suppliers saying the red was out of stock and was getting worried they may be going out of production. They was no information on the Scott Drake Repro.

I placed the order with Summit who drop shipped it from DD. It was listed as vinyl covered like the OEM. What I received was not vinyl but molded red pad with metal inserts. All of the holes seemed to drilled. It actually looks pretty nice and not waves. It does have squished holes in the outer ring of the streaker grill.

After looking it over, I noticed a sheet of paper in the shipping bag. Reading it, it stated do not paint this part as it is made of polyurethane. Did I get scammed and sold a remake of the wavey urethane pad?
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-21-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles