Close

Default 85 Mustang GT Instrument Cluster printed circuit

I just installed a different cluster that appeared printed circuit ribbon was in better shape. And it works all except the oil gauge light. I tried different bulbs and the little black bulb holders but am out of my depth on this ribbon. Is there a way to check circuit continuity and a way to repair these? If not I'll probably go back to the original cluster and try a new voltage regulator to see if it helps the gauges.

Thanks guys.

I have decided to replace the data center on the console with the 3 gauge pod for oil pressure, temperature and gas. The oil and temp are fairly straight forward but what is the best way to hook up to gas gauge? Should I splice into the existing gas gauge wire? Thanks.

FEP Supporter

Many here, myself included, have swapped out the entire cluster for aftermarket gauges and aftermarket clusters. You might want to think about doing that as you'll likely appreciate the end result a little more.

Here's what I did. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Gauge-Cluster

As far as your question goes, you'll need to make sure you have a compatible fuel gauge and that your sender works correctly. Then, you should be able to simply connect right from the wiring in the stock location.
    '85 GT

Wow. That looks really good. I'll definitely check into it. Thanks.

If gauge lighting is iffy, there is an option to keep the oe cluster housing and everything.
    I use wedge bulb repair sockets hard wired into the dash lighting circuit.
    The twist in holes, needed to maintain contact, have worn out on mine
    Also took out the worn out bulb masks, instead using bulb boots.
    The printed circuits are still there, just not using the lighting part of them.

I wondered about that. Good info, I'll give it a try for that oil gauge light.

OK, going to install mechanical oil,and temp gauge tomorrow along with gas gauge. I know I can splice into yellow/w wire behind cluster for signal for gas gauge, but can I splice into the wire somewhere easier where I don't have to take out the cluster for the 1000th time?

Name:  IMG_20161231_125842448_HDR[2].jpg
Views: 260
Size:  176.5 KBName:  IMG_20161231_130034355_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 264
Size:  133.6 KB OK, I got the mechanical gauges installed . Everything went good until I went to insert temp gauge adapter into manifold. The one that came with the Jegs gauge wouldn't work, so I got a Bosch gauge from Advance Auto until I can get an adapter that will work for the Jegs gauge. I am thrilled to be getting accurate readings now. I did pull the cluster out to splice into gas gauge line, it all is working good, so I'm happy with it and it looks good.

FEP Supporter

Glad to see you made it through your project!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Glad to see you made it through your project!
    Thanks, me too. No replacement for an accurate gauge on a 30 year old car. Next up, Holley rebuild.