Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gt40p header conundrum.

Ive got GT40p heads on my engine, not realizing there was an issue of available headers. Has anyone worked through this without using the p headers? Ive heard there are certain regular headers that you can slightly indent one of the primaries and it works. Also that certain headers wont even work that way. Anyone with good experiences weigh in please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive seen guys use stock 87-93 headers. Other people use bbk's or the ford racing "p"specific header.

There really are a ton of options out there, people just give up way too easy.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I used the Ford Racing P shorties because I didn't want to wonder if they would work, and they are affordable, so why not?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Blog Entries

Name:  20161116_193902.jpg
Views: 4317
Size:  133.1 KB
    BBK unequal length shortys, no real issue.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Ok. Thanks. I was worried about that good ol' changing plugs. I love BBK headers so probably what I will go with.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I used the Ford Racing P shorties because I didn't want to wonder if they would work, and they are affordable, so why not?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Are these still available?

Quote Originally Posted by 86FOX4EYE View Post
    Are these still available?
    American Muscle has them.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

American Muscle has them.
    I see the MAC version and I think JBA makes a P version as well but I think the Ford Racing headers are out of production. I could be wrong but I couldn't find any a few weeks ago.

I see the MAC version and I think JBA makes a P version as well but I think the Ford Racing headers are out of production. I could be wrong but I couldn't find any a few weeks ago.
    Oh, weird, you're right! I tried googling Ford Racing GT40P shorties and a direct link came up, but if you navigate there manually, they're not there! Sorry about that!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Oh, weird, you're right! I tried googling Ford Racing GT40P shorties and a direct link came up, but if you navigate there manually, they're not there! Sorry about that!
    No worries. I just bought a set of JBA standard SS shorties and installed them because the Ford part is discontinued. I was pleasantly surprised @ the heavy duty construction quality and the fit. I seem to have terrible luck with aftermarket parts fitting the way the manufacturer says they will fit. For that reason I have only used Ford Motorsport parts in the past when I could. I will keep you posted on how the JBA's live.

On my engine the only problem with removing plugs was on the 7th cylinder. I had to cut a socket in half to about an inch long, and welded a handle on it. This was for the socket to slide over the plug since it was close to the header tube. The headers are BBK 1 5/8 long tubes.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I had the MAC units on mine that worked...but like with most others (see picture in post #4 by brianj) one will have to utilize 90* boots on the spark plug wire boots. I seem to recall most long tube headers will work. I wound up finding some Ford Motorsport stainless units and have been really happy with them.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Yeah I forgot about the 90* boots. Another friend used the cheap ebay shorty headers and they clear like a dream.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Your using longtubes and they work. Im interested in that.

Well, my 1-5/8" ceramic coated BBK longtubes had huge nasty welds inside of the header flanges, a primary tube on the drivers side came in contact with the steering shaft and needed some hammering, the tubes on the passenger side hit my Mcleod bell and i had to beat the primaries and grind the block plate and bell, the clutch cable is close to the header on the driver side and needs a heat sleeve over it and the starter will need to be wrapped too. The H pipe had to have the hangers cut off of it because they weren't even close to reaching the hanger at the trans, and I had to spread the headers when they were on the engine to get the h pipe on. BBK uses crappy flanges on their h pipe which willl pull over the ball sockets, so you'll want to replace them with split flanges. I don't have much good to say about mine anymore, except that they quieted down the interior a lot during highway cruising over the BBK equal length shorties I had on it before (which are spark plug wire killers) and made the engine sound meaner. I didn't install them on p heads but these issues should still apply. I wouldn't buy them again. Actually, for what I do with my car, I'd buy big shorties and make it easier on myself when I have to service the clutch. There's no way I can get the bell off in chassis without removing a header. The provided gaskets were junk. Mind you I did buy these years ago, they may have made revisions since, but I doubt it given how long these have been on the market.

Ca;e

Wow! I didn't have any problems like that with my long tubes, but I use oldschool ASP solid alum motor mounts which raise the motor a bit for steering shaft clearence. I also just have the stock bellhousing for my T5. I agree with any of the supplied header gaskets always seem to be junk.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Default Gt40p header conundrum.

I have the BBK long tube headers on my 302 with gt40p heads and had issues with getting the plugs in. Had to buy shorty plugs which are not cheap but fixed the fitting issue & worth it

I've heard multiple times that the 1-3/4" fit better than the 1-5/8" primary headers, even better on P heads.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Quote Originally Posted by soldknow View Post
    I have the BBK long tube headers on my 302 with gt40p heads and had issues with getting the plugs in. Had to buy shorty plugs which are not cheap but fixed the fitting issue & worth it
    Really? On what cylinders? I have the same headers and have no issues putting in regular autolite pulgs. The combo is in my son's 84 now ith multiple plug change and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic G.T.350 View Post
    I've heard multiple times that the 1-3/4" fit better than the 1-5/8" primary headers, even better on P heads.
    Yeah the bigger tube goes out straighter for a better fit.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

No worries. I just bought a set of JBA standard SS shorties and installed them because the Ford part is discontinued. I was pleasantly surprised @ the heavy duty construction quality and the fit. I seem to have terrible luck with aftermarket parts fitting the way the manufacturer says they will fit. For that reason I have only used Ford Motorsport parts in the past when I could. I will keep you posted on how the JBA's live.
    Where did you buy the JBA's from? I can't find any options better than the MACs, and I don't want to pay what I paid for the heads + machine work for headers, that's crazy! So much for a budget build if there aren't any better header options.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    Where did you buy the JBA's from? I can't find any options better than the MACs, and I don't want to pay what I paid for the heads + machine work for headers, that's crazy! So much for a budget build if there aren't any better header options.
    Yours are 3-bar (non-P) heads so you don't have this problem. Any headers that fit '87-93 HO heads will fit yours.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Yours are 3-bar (non-P) heads so you don't have this problem. Any headers that fit '87-93 HO heads will fit yours.
    I sold the 3-bar because I overpaid. Found another set at a machine shop this week (and originally thought they were 3-bar at the end of the business day), until I went back the next day to negotiate when the owner had more time only to find out they were P's. Didn't realize how bad the header market is.

Now I feel like what I saved in head cost ($125 for the P, vs $300 I paid for the 3-bars I sold) I'll be spending in header cost. I am even open to stock manifolds that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    I sold the 3-bar because I overpaid. Found another set at a machine shop this week (and originally thought they were 3-bar at the end of the business day), until I went back the next day to negotiate when the owner had more time only to find out they were P's. Didn't realize how bad the header market is.

Now I feel like what I saved in head cost ($125 for the P, vs $300 I paid for the 3-bars I sold) I'll be spending in header cost. I am even open to stock manifolds that might work.
    Oh, okay.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Ive "heard" the BBK unequal shorties work with 90 degree plug wires. I think that is the route I am going to try. I don't like the individual flange MAC headers, or the price of them.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Edited: gave wrong info. Thought my set was bbk but I was mistaken. Sorry.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 05-20-2019 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Wrong info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast