Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hard To Find Exhaust Pipes...

It seems that the factory exhaust pipes for the Fox Fords are getting harder and harder to find. I need the intermediate exhaust pipe for my 1980 Ford Fairmont Sedan (Walker Part Number 44621). Does anyone know a good source for these older exhaust pieces? I am not wanting to go to a custom exhaust fabrication shop unless I absolutely have to. Many thanks...

Name:  5ae2050eebd4151952638cf29abffcaf.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  14.2 KB
    Current Fox Fleet
    '82 Zephyr GS Two Door 3.3
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '80 Fairmont Sedan 3.3 (X2)
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

I got the very similar Walker pipe for my '86 Mustang when still with a 3.8, through NAPA, and it was only about 35 bucks.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I got the very similar Walker pipe for my '86 Mustang when still with a 3.8, through NAPA, and it was only about 35 bucks.
    Thank you for the reply. How long ago was that? Less than one year?

Would you happen to know the part number that NAPA used? I did online search on the NAPA (Canada) website and it shows nothing for an intermediate pipe for a Ford Fairmont. The same search for an '86 Mustang shows different intermediate pipes with different part numbers...

(BTW. I have an '86 Mustang with the 4.2 litre V8. The front Y-pipe I used is for the 3.8 litre V6. I was surprised to learn the same Y-pipe fits both the V8 and the V6 engines. I would imagine that the same pipe will fit a 302 with factory cast iron exhaust manifolds.)
    Last edited by Autolite; 04-20-2019 at 06:34 AM.
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

Did a search and found this.

http://www.apdty.com/item.wws?mfr=WALKER&sku=44621

I had a front pipe made for my 84 4 cyl at a local muffler shop, and it was around the cost of a stock pipe.
    Last edited by Ray Dog; 04-20-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    Yeah, I had already found the same link.

Availability: LBLNOSTOCK

I am assuming that this ^^^ means that there are none in stock. I've found that many websites will advertise items that they don't actually have...

(It's really disappointing that these parts are so hard to find. Fox Fords are old but they're not that old! It was an extremely common platform with countless interchangeable parts and they were built in tremendous numbers. I just don't understand why some parts are now so hard to find.)
    Last edited by Autolite; 04-20-2019 at 10:24 PM.
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

FEP Senior Member

I found the same thing for my '85 LTD wagon. Seems as though Walker stopped making most of the parts a while ago. I got lucky and was able to reuse my tailpipe when I had to replace the muffler. The intermediate pipe for my car was about the only thing still available. Check Walker 43897 if you cannot find your specific part. It might require some modification, but it looks close to yours.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I found the same thing for my '85 LTD wagon. Seems as though Walker stopped making most of the parts a while ago. I got lucky and was able to reuse my tailpipe when I had to replace the muffler. The intermediate pipe for my car was about the only thing still available. Check Walker 43897 if you cannot find your specific part. It might require some modification, but it looks close to yours.
    Thank you for the reply. The Walker 43897 is the intermediate pipe for the LTD/Marquis. IIRC, I've installed that pipe before on a Fairmont and it fits. If I remember correctly, I think they are in fact interchangeable.

I've installed LTD/Marquis tailpipes on Fairmonts so I know for a fact that that works. You just need to relocate the tailpipe hanger for the LTD/Marquis tailpipe to fit a Fairmont. I just wish that Ford had built them all that way. It's a much nicer looking installation...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
    Thank you for the reply. How long ago was that? Less than one year?

Would you happen to know the part number that NAPA used? I did online search on the NAPA (Canada) website and it shows nothing for an intermediate pipe for a Ford Fairmont. The same search for an '86 Mustang shows different intermediate pipes with different part numbers...

(BTW. I have an '86 Mustang with the 4.2 litre V8. The front Y-pipe I used is for the 3.8 litre V6. I was surprised to learn the same Y-pipe fits both the V8 and the V6 engines. I would imagine that the same pipe will fit a 302 with factory cast iron exhaust manifolds.)
    That was in September, 2015, that I got one, and the part number was as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, 43897... '86 Mustang, 3.8L V6...

It's listed as "Only 5 Remaining" in stock at RockAuto, and for $8.24 Canadian plus shipping ... the stuff sure is cheap, I guess if you can find it...

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Back then, a part like this may have had a SS tubing as an available option.
    SS had something like a silver/black wraparound label vs blue/white. Like the ones pictured.
    My last intermediate pipe for the Mustang (79 2.3T) is SS, AZ 2004 price of 35.00.

If interested, AZ shows Walker 43897 at 7.79 and available.
    https://www.autozone.com/emission-co...0_215848_13154

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...g-lookup/43897

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    That was in September, 2015, that I got one, and the part number was as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, 43897... '86 Mustang, 3.8L V6...
    Thanks for getting back to me on this. The number you gave is also the intermediate pipe for the LTD/Marquis. IIRC, I've installed that pipe before on a Fairmont and it fits if my memory serves me right. If it fits the Mustang then it is most likely that it will also fit a 'Mont.

I checked with Walker and the 43897 pipe is discontinued but there is stock still available. That's the pipe that I will now try and get. Thanks everyone for all the help. It is most appreciated...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

UPDATE:

I now have the Walker 43897 pipe on back order coming from Tenneco (Walker) via UAP NAPA. Estimated delivery is four to six weeks. This works for me. I'm just so glad that these pipes are still available.

Thank you again to everybody for the posts and replies. You have all been most helpful...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

FEP Senior Member

Four to six weeks?!?! Rockauto can have one to my door in 2-3 days. I'd cancel the order with NAPA and order through Rockauto if it were me. Probably cheaper too.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Four to six weeks?!?! Rockauto can have one to my door in 2-3 days. I'd cancel the order with NAPA and order through Rockauto if it were me. Probably cheaper too.
    I don't mind the wait. I don't need the pipe immediately. The price I'm getting from NAPA is just over 15 dollars CAD. In this case I will wait a little longer if I can save a few bucks on shipping to Canada...
    Last edited by Autolite; 04-25-2019 at 03:10 AM.
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

I asked on the Walker site from the above link to send me the part numbers from all exhaust tubes and mufflers for my Mustang's VIN.
    I'll post here when I get feedback.
    My exhaust is falling apart after 40 years.
    Original except converter is replaced by a tube.
    Want an original exhaust back. Minus the converter. Not needed here, not functioning either due running on LPG.

Question:
    I was told in a local parts shop that the second muffler was option related. Mine is a Ghia, did those get an extra muffler in addition to the other optioned Mustangs?

Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Reply Walker;
    Unfortunately we don't offer anything for your vehicle application.

Not much use. I'd hoped they would list the part numbers, no matter whether they still have them or not.

Hans.

I was gonna suggest Rockauto as well. 2 left.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wa...897,pipe,10038
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

UPDATE:

Today I received from UAP NAPA my tailpipe and intermediate pipe for the Fairmont. The tailpipe is identical to the Ford Fairmont factory tailpipe (NAPA #43747). The intermediate pipe is actually the LTD/Marquis intermediate pipe (NAPA #43897) and it should fit although it is not identical to the Ford Fairmont factory intermediate pipe. The LTD/Marquis intermediate pipe seems to be about 3.5 inches shorter than the Ford Fairmont factory intermediate pipe which means that I might have to weld on a small extension.

The interesting thing is that the NAPA parts guy tells me that these pipes were made by 'Wagner'...

Name:  Fairmont Tailpipe (Wagner).jpg
Views: 776
Size:  77.6 KBName:  LTD Intermediate Pipe (Wagner).jpg
Views: 509
Size:  101.7 KBName:  LTD vs Fairmont Intermediate Pipe 001.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  66.9 KBName:  LTD vs Fairmont Pipe 002.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  61.3 KB
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

Tenneco on the tag= Walker brand.

If the shiny end part of the old pipe was in the muffler, a band clamp may work to seal gap without any extension.
    Wide band clamps join pipes without having to insert ends into each other, do not distort pipe, and seal tight and strong.
    Easier than welding, and muffler/pipe can be separated cleanly later on if muffler is changed for another.
    Or, unlike welding, removable if one forgets to slide a flange on before assy.
    I swap out the regular rust prone bolts and nuts with SS and use anti-sieze.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-15-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Tenneco on the tag= Walker brand.
    Yeah, I know. Tenneco is Walker. Perhaps the NAPA guy was confusing 'Walker' and 'Wagner'. If these are pipes from Walker then they are the first Walker pipes that I've seen without a 'Walker' label on them.

If the shiny end part of the old pipe was in the muffler, a band clamp may work to seal gap without any extension.
    Wide band clamps join pipes without having to insert ends into each other, do not distort pipe, and seal tight and strong.
    Easier than welding, and muffler/pipe can be separated cleanly later on if muffler is changed for another.
    Or, unlike welding, removable if one forgets to slide a flange on before assy.
    I swap out the regular rust prone bolts and nuts with SS and use anti-sieze.
    These new pipes are actually now spares to be used for future exhaust work. I've already replaced the pipes that I needed on my daily driver with the pipes that I had in stock. I try to order pipes that I know that I will need some day well ahead of when I'll actually need them. IIRC, I've installed the LTD/Marquis intermediate pipe on a Fairmont before but I don't recall doing anything special to make them fit. I dunno. Maybe my memory fails me.

In the past I've found that I can only get about three years out of an intermediate pipe before it needs replacing (on a daily driver). They seem to crack or rust-out prematurely for me...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

FEP Senior Member

Aluminized steel on a car run in salt/snow will last about 3-4 years. I wish there were more stainless steel aftermarket options for stock style exhaust systems, but I guess they figure most people won't want to pay the premium for the better material. Sadly they are probably right.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

We as a forum should ask a tube bend company to 3D scan these parts. So they can manufacture batches later.
    But we'd have to get enough buyers lined up. Otherwise it gets expensive per part.

'Walker' and 'Wagner'. Yes it happens to all counter people and customers do that too.
    Stocking hard to find parts at home is practical for items like that.
    SS is worth the extra cash. Sometimes its the same price. My ss midpipe was less!

Scanning is done on items like that. Large factories have databases and production schedules to meet.
    They usually run batches per order and contract, no extra. Many current OEM/aftermarket to make.
    Manufacturing a few at a time for stock would be as a service part for oem.
    Reprogramming welding robots and machinery, changing tooling, dies, obtaining raw material in advance if not in stock.
    Changeover is downtime= money. OEM mfg lines cannot make old stuff.
    Large mfgrs do it, but do not run small one off batches of anything unless GM or someone requests it and has the cash.
    Aftermarket is different, catering to older items if they have the data base to make the parts.
    Its about setup time, interrupting regular production. Small operations can do it if they have the equipment.
    A muffler shop can easily duplicate a pipe like that, but not without a sample.

Had one brake line scanned and made up once. They kept the scan file as another catalog offering.
    Unless they have the original blueprint or data file, intact oncar or used parts are measured or scanned.

Does anyone have the 'Walker' part number for the Fox chassis LTD/Marquis TAILPIPE? (Single exhaust-3.8 V6).

I thought that I had it but I guess I don't. The part number for that tailpipe no longer shows up on the Walker website either...
    Last edited by Autolite; 05-16-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

FEP Senior Member

The tailpipe is definitely no longer available. I thought I had an old Walker diagram that had that part number, but I cannot find it at the moment.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member

35466 is the Walker part number for the tailpipe I am showing. This is for the 4 cylinder, but I'm pretty sure the tailpipe is the same across the board.

'89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast