Close

Default 86 GT T-Top weatherstripping and trim question

Hello,

I recently picked up an 86 GT with T-tops. I believe I am missing some trim pieces around the mirror on my 86 t-top. There is a rivet with a piece of broken plastic on the leading edge of the door frames just above the mirror.

I was hoping someone would be able to take a picture of theirs so I could see what's missing on mine.

I'll post pictures of mine when I get home tonight.

Thanks
    Tim

Later model doors with power mirrors:

The earlier door plastic has 3 ribs on the outside vice the 2 in the above pic. From my 83 doors with manual mirrors:

The rubber/foam is bonded to the plastic cap pieces.

Don't quote me on it, but i do believe the 86 would have the 3 rib plastic pieces. If I were to guess, I would say it's because of the differences in the mirror housings....
    Last edited by great white; 12-12-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Thank you! I think the plastic rib pieces are missing, do they form a triangle and sit between the mirror and the door frame, while also being riveted to the frames a pillar section? I think I saw one online

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It looks like this part is only about an 1/8th of an inch thick, I had ordered one and it arrived today. Does anyone have any body/collision parts lists for the door that might give me an idea of what I'm missing?

The trim pieces that I have on my T-top cars is like what Great White posted above.

The trim piece is made like a cap and snaps over the end of the window frame.

I have seen pictures on Ebay of the one that you ordered, but I have never seen one in person. I am not sure if this was a running change that Ford made during production or if that is a service part to fix issues with the original style like what I have. I don't believe there are any additional pieces to what you have know, it's just a different style trim piece than what we have. Not sure if that really helps or not, but maybe an member with the same style trim as you will post up better information. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you both for your help. This weekend I'll lay the front run weatherstripping, the door weatherstripping and the cap on the door to see if I can work it out

FEP Super Member

I have an 84 , and really have not paid any attention to that part of the door .
    All of mine is the original , unmessed with .
    It is all in great shape for its age , and is completely original down to the paint , so those parts have not ben messed with.
    I will look mine over , and see if I notice anything that might be different than what has been stated here already.
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 12-14-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I have a feeling the 86 has a specific trim, the part I ordered starts with e6zz . I appreciate everyone's help

Name:  door weatherstrip.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  32.8 KB

I also found this diagram for the front run channel weather stripping on FoxResto for the vert/t-top 86. It may be a stock photo, because the 87-88 had the same picture but a different part number.

I am in the process of doing this on an 85 and will throw some pics up later today. The plastic cap goes on before the run channel and is held with 1 rivet near the top on inside(the holes will line up). I believe the run channel is then silicone caulked ONLY FROM the bend to where there are 2 grommet holes in the rubber, I may be wrong about the silicone though. The 2 holes are then fastened with the small "christmas tree" plastic push pins. My trim is not a triangle, but if I recall there may have been a triangle rubber piece behind the mirror which sealed it. I took all this apart years ago and am now just getting back to restoring it and cannot find the triangle rubber piece, if there ever was one.
    Is the entire trim piece plastic or is the triangle part of it rubber?
    Great White mentioned "The rubber/foam is bonded to the plastic cap pieces", I remember having foam on mine but it is long gone. Was thinking of using double sided tape instead to help secure it because the trim was just floating toward the bottom.

Thought I'd ask here while semi-on topic. Does anyone know where I can get the exterior door belt moldings for 85 T-top car? If not available, are non t-top moldings long enough to be modified?

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPower5.0 View Post
    Thought I'd ask here while semi-on topic. Does anyone know where I can get the exterior door belt moldings for 85 T-top car? If not available, are non t-top moldings long enough to be modified?
    The exterior door belt moldings are available from most Mustang Vendors.

If you are referring to the dew wipes at the windows and not the belt line moldings then you will have to either use an OEM piece/Repro and modify the back edge of the metal trim to fit around the weatherstripping at the back edge of the window. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The exterior door belt moldings are available from most Mustang Vendors.

If you are referring to the dew wipes at the windows and not the belt line moldings then you will have to either use an OEM piece/Repro and modify the back edge of the metal trim to fit around the weatherstripping at the back edge of the window. Hope that helps.
    Thank you for your response.
    I can find the door belt weatherstrip(dew wipes) for 79-86 at most vendors, but find only 87-93 belt moldings(metal trim that meets the wipes). I have read on forums somewhere that it is has never been reproduced for verts and t-tops, not sure if this is true or not.

Is it attached to the door belt weatherstrip and sold as one piece? Is this why I can't find it by itself?
    N/M I found them ****"The metal trim is included, pre-attached, and painted black. The new weatherstrip can be removed from the supplied metal trim & used on your existing metal trim." "Must be trimmed to fit convertible."*** Might have to trim for t-top also, but it doesn't say that.
    Last edited by PonyPower5.0; 12-17-2016 at 02:54 PM.

I had to use 3m weatherstrip adhesive and clamps to make the run channel weatherstrip form to the metal.
    Name:  _MG_3142.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  55.0 KB
    Name:  _MG_3143.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  75.3 KB
    Name:  _MG_3147.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  75.9 KB
    Name:  _MG_3148.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  77.0 KB
    This is my next nightmare!
    Name:  _MG_3136.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  90.7 KB
    Last edited by PonyPower5.0; 12-17-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Just picked one up. Needs lots of work. Someone decided to silicone the entire top.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have stripped all of the old weather stripping out of my T-tops. Keeping an eye on this thread as I'm sure I will run into many issues when I try to redo this.