Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mark VIII Fan + Aluminum Radiator + 5.0L?

I'm considering the Mark VIII fan, but am concerned there isn't enough clearance between the fan motor and the accessory drive/water pump pulley. Can anyone corroborate that this is possible? I'm talking Mark VIII fan, large 3-core aluminum radiator (SVE, probably), and a 5.0L all sitting on their stock mounts.

And if not, what about with a stock-size radiator?

Thanks
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

It clears a stock radiator, but its a bit close. You can cut down alot of the mark8 fans (btw, also used on mn-12 cougars/tbirds, some ford taurus's, volvos and a few other imports) surrounding and build your own way to mount it. The biggest problem is that the fan needs to sit near the center of the red and so does the waterpump.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Hmm, okay cool. I did do some more digging today and found the same info elsewhere. Although, one post i read said that the Mark fans were different from the T-bird/Cougar fans somehow. It may have been referring to the later Mark fans for '97-98 that were apparently one speed, as opposed to two, and run with pulse-width modulation to make them function like a variable speed. One post said the later ones were a little better, another said they were a lot better, so who knows.

But yeah, cutting down the shroud seems to be the key to making it fit.

But when we start to talk about how to run it, that's a whole other can of worms. I guess guys like to run them with controllers like the DCC that are variable speed controllers. In my choosing of an expensive controller last year, if i were to go this route, i chose... poorly. My Dakota Digital controller runs a two-speed fan like a boss, but with the Mark fan, it would have to swallow that big amp draw (maybe as much as 100 amps) every time it turned the thing on. It's technically only a one speed fan, so it would be crazy high speed or nothing. My relays are no slouches at 75 amps, but it would still make me wonder. (SSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHHH) what to do...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

All years, '93-'98, Mark VIII's used a 2-speed fan. Low speed when at temp, high speed when A/C kicks on or when the temp goes up. Speed wasn't variably controlled from the factory on any years.

<----drove a '93 & then a '98 as DD for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    All years, '93-'98, Mark VIII's used a 2-speed fan. Low speed when at temp, high speed when A/C kicks on or when the temp goes up. Speed wasn't variably controlled from the factory on any years.

<----drove a '93 & then a '98 as DD for 10 years.
    thanks! that's the great thing about forums (other forums, anyway). you never know if what you're reading is accurate.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

94-97 Thunderbird/Cougars came with two speed fans. My 96 did.
    The Mark VIII fans were supposed to be variable speed.

http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...an-thread.html

Read the info on that link.

Some more info: http://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-6...oling-fan.html
    Last edited by Mgino757; 12-13-2016 at 10:03 AM.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Quote Originally Posted by Mgino757 View Post
    94-97 Thunderbird/Cougars came with two speed fans. My 96 did.
    The Mark VIII fans were supposed to be variable speed.

http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...an-thread.html

Read the info on that link.

Some more info: http://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-6...oling-fan.html

I've read it before also. Real world experience trumps what you can read in a forum although forums are tremendously helpful. Both my '93 & my '98 were 2-speed fans, neither was variable speed. I don't doubt that it can be variably speed controlled but that is not how either of my cars were set up from the factory.

If I recall correctly, the fan motor part # is the same for all years of Mark VIII's & interchanges with several other models. It's been a few years since I looked that up.

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    I've read it before also. Real world experience trumps what you can read in a forum although forums are tremendously helpful. Both my '93 & my '98 were 2-speed fans, neither was variable speed. I don't doubt that it can be variably speed controlled but that is not how either of my cars were set up from the factory.

If I recall correctly, the fan motor part # is the same for all years of Mark VIII's & interchanges with several other models. It's been a few years since I looked that up.
    I've actually seen an "F8" part number in a Hot Rod article that would indicate something done for the '97 or '98 model year...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

A variable speed fan would require a micro controller and brushless motor to allow it to work correctly.

Prrtty much everything I read on both the 3g/electric fan and my sn-95t-5 swap were complete.and utter bs. I actually figured out what taurus fan to use by reading a camaro forum, they actually had information by year.and what would work and what wouldnt.

Seems like to more mustang guys you get in one place, the worse the information becomes.
    1 1987 cougar

Yeah, I've found plenty of contradictions in my research. It's one of the main reasons I've decided to go a different direction. Too many question marks with this. Not to mention too much money (guys with these fans know they're sought after now, and controllers are expensive).
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

What direction are you thinking? Check out DCC.

I got mine at a junkyard for 25 bucks. You already have the controller. Buy one, and if it doesn't work, sell it on eBay for triple your money.

I personally wouldn't bother with a Mark VIII fan. Sure, they move a lot of air, but there's other, easier to implement alternatives.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Been running mine off a toggle and 25 amp fuse for two years now. No issues. Best $13 I ever spent.
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    What direction are you thinking? Check out DCC.
    Oh, I'm not saying the DCC wouldn't do a great job. I just don't want to start over with my fan setup. My current fan and controller are really nice and well-suited for each other. They may just need a little bit more. So, I'm looking at adding a supplemental pusher fan to make up the difference. I can get one for relatively cheap, and won't have to worry about beating nearly impossible odds (at least the aftermarket) reaching the CFM total I need. Not only that, I can go to the aluminum radiator without a worry the condenser isn't getting the proper cooling. On top of that, I can run the two fans at fewer amps than the Mark VIII fan needs all by itself. It's win-win-win! :Mrgreen:
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

IMHO the pusher fans are not worth the cost or any additional headaches. In my experience they add little to cooling. First they generally are low CFM compared to pullers and then on top of that you are blocking the condenser and radiator with a pusher that adds to the problem.

Just my .02 worth, your experience may vary. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Here is another option for you I just found on the web.

Name:  Fan Relay.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  82.8 KB

You can find it in post #7 http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...an-thread.html
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Here is another option for you I just found on the web.

Name:  Fan Relay.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  82.8 KB

You can find it in post #7 http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...an-thread.html
    Interesting. I suppose a guy could use a regular Ford starter solenoid. Those are way common and cheap. I'm pretty sure I even have a spare.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

IMHO the pusher fans are not worth the cost or any additional headaches. In my experience they add little to cooling. First they generally are low CFM compared to pullers and then on top of that you are blocking the condenser and radiator with a pusher that adds to the problem.

Just my .02 worth, your experience may vary. Good Luck!
    The ones i'm considering are still fairly cheap, but push 1000-2500 CFM. I'm using that 4000 number for reference so around 1500 would get me there in addition to the 2500 my existing fan pulls. Many of the reviews i'm reading on them sound like people are using them as primary fans. I'm not talking about some dinky little thing, I'd use the biggest diameter one i can make fit.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    The ones i'm considering are still fairly cheap, but push 1000-2500 CFM. I'm using that 4000 number for reference so around 1500 would get me there in addition to the 2500 my existing fan pulls. Many of the reviews i'm reading on them sound like people are using them as primary fans. I'm not talking about some dinky little thing, I'd use the biggest diameter one i can make fit.
    Ok, but again you have the issue of the pusher fan blocking the surface area of the condenser and the radiator which is the exact opposite of what you want.

The way I look at it, is that if the pusher fans worked so well, the OEM would use them. I understand what you want to do, I just don't know that this is the best way IMHO.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Ok, but again you have the issue of the pusher fan blocking the surface area of the condenser and the radiator which is the exact opposite of what you want.

The way I look at it, is that if the pusher fans worked so well, the OEM would use them. I understand what you want to do, I just don't know that this is the best way IMHO.
    dammit, Trey. I thought I finally had it all figured out.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have an mn12 T-bird fan on my Capri. It was some work to do, but it turned out nicely. I had to router 1/2" off of the shroud to make it fit, and make my own mounting brackets out of aluminum and rivet them in place. I have a Volkswagen 2 speed fan switch screwed into an adapter in my upper radiator hose that controls 2 relays to actuate either high or low speed. I put a rocker switch in the glove box that turns the ignition 12v wire on or off going to the relay, and if I go to the strip I jumper the plug at the switch for manual control. I originally did this on my dd Dakota years ago with the same model fan, and I'm still using that setup to this day. The only difference is that my a/c and defrost settings trigger the low speed setting of the fan as the Capri doesn't have a/c. I looked, but I don't have any pictures of the setup.

Wiring:

Cale

My post got all weird at letting me add more after I put that pic in it. Another fan option to look into is the Chevy HHR fan:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...eap-easy-quiet

I also had a Taurus fan on my Capri before I put the T-bird fan on, but it's out of place looking and doesn't fit the rad well. I think I have heard of guys using the Ford Contour dual fan setup as well, but I swear I remember those fans being recalled. If you wanted to make or buy your own fan shroud, I believe some Volvos use the same fan motor as the 2 speed Fords but they are easily removable from their shrouds. I think those typically have the factory Volvo fan controllers mounted nearby as well if you wanted to manipulate that arrangement. Food for thought...

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    I have an mn12 T-bird fan on my Capri. It was some work to do, but it turned out nicely. I had to router 1/2" off of the shroud to make it fit, and make my own mounting brackets out of aluminum and rivet them in place. I have a Volkswagen 2 speed fan switch screwed into an adapter in my upper radiator hose that controls 2 relays to actuate either high or low speed. I put a rocker switch in the glove box that turns the ignition 12v wire on or off going to the relay, and if I go to the strip I jumper the plug at the switch for manual control. I originally did this on my dd Dakota years ago with the same model fan, and I'm still using that setup to this day. The only difference is that my a/c and defrost settings trigger the low speed setting of the fan as the Capri doesn't have a/c. I looked, but I don't have any pictures of the setup.

Wiring:

Cale
    Alright, this discussion needs to be re-opened. My POS parts-store replacement radiator has decided to start leaking in the past week or so. So, now I'm looking at the 3-row aluminum radiator I bought this winter but decided not to use right away so I could sort out the A/C first. It's being pressed into service earlier than planned. So that means maybe I need to start shopping for fans. There are a few Mark VIII fans on ebay. I may just grab one and keep my current one in the trunk as a back-up.

Anyway, why did I quote this post? My fan controller relays are 70 amps each. I see you've wired yours in parallel. Right? I think? I've never used that 5th pole on a 5-pole relay. What if I did that to control a Mark VIII fan as a 1-speed? In theory, it should spread the amp load between the two, right? And that way I don't have to buy any more controller components.

Another idea I am considering is wiring it as a 2-speed, using a resistor to accomplish the low setting. Any thoughts on that?

Next thing to consider is the A/C over-ride. If i wire the fan it as a 1-speed (crazy-high), would that get excessive with the amps? I suppose not because that's how it would function if it were 2-speed anyway--A/C on = high. Just thinking "out loud".
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I've actually seen an "F8" part number in a Hot Rod article that would indicate something done for the '97 or '98 model year...
    I don't doubt this at all. Back when I still had the '93 Mark VIII the fan motor went out and I had to replace it. At the time the replacement motor from AZ was a Siemens motor that was in every way identical to the original. That was 2004 but I think that I recall the cost was about $85. Might have changed over the time. The replacement part # at that time was the same for all 5 years of Mark VIII production and what I based my statement on. That car was parted out and the fan is still in my garage and will make it into my Mustang one day.
    Last edited by slow84lx; 05-15-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast