Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C Gurus: Help

Finally got the car in to have the lines finished and the system evacuated and filled.

Turns out with my DCC variable speed controller and Cooling Components fan (old fan still in place because Mark VIII fan will need some doing to make it fit), on initial startup, the fan doesn't pull enough CFMs to keep the compressor head pressure in the safe range. So, that means, at least for now, I need to let the engine get up to operating temp (so that the fan is at least running somewhat without the A/C function telling it to bump up the speed) before I run the A/C. Not too big of a deal. So, I guess once i get the Mark VIII fan in, I'll need to strike a balance between getting the engine temp in a range so that it will burn fuel efficiently, and making sure I'm pulling enough air through the condenser with fan speed.

I'm a bit puzzled though. The cooling system seems like it doesn't WANT to get warm. I have a 195 thermostat in it, but the temp gauge is hardly ever even at the halfway point. All I can figure is maybe they put the wrong thermostat in the box or something. I have the fan controller set to turn it on in about the 190 range, but the guy at the A/C shop wanted me to turn it way down so the fan is on fast enough to get the compressor head pressure into the safe range sooner. Ugh.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

You should be able to use the compressor clutch switch feed (Light Green / Purple hash - I think) to power a light load relay to power one of the Mark VIII fans, so that when ever the compressor is engaged, a fan will be on.

Of course, YMMV.

Mike

Well, the Mark fan is a single for one thing, and the DCC controller adds 55% power whenever the A/C clutch is engaged. That MAY be enough with the Mark fan, we'll see. I hope to hell so, or I might end up having to go to a different double fan setup and do what you are suggesting. Which would piss me off because I'd pretty much be starting over again. That would be the FIFTH cooling fan incarnation in this car. Sixth if you count the belt driven fan on the original drivetrain.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Wanted to post here the final solution to the strut tower brace clearance problem. It started with the pivoting manifold from the previous page. Then i went down to the local A/C shop thinking i'd have to have the low side line modified, but the guy there came up with a much easier solution! We angled the fitting downward 45 degrees instead of straight horizontal.

Then added a 90 degree fitting.

And it clears perfectly!

Now, I just need to clear up my fan clearance problem.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12