Close

Default Fuel injected 351 swap

Just kicking around an idea. I have a 93 mustang with a 408 stroker and a tremec 3650. The car runs off the factory computer with a sct chip. The body needs work so I was thinking about swapping this combo in a very clean fairmont. Being that the 93 runs and drives I have basically everything for the swap. A few things I'm concerned about are
    Hood clearance. I had a tough time finding a hood that would clear the trick flow intake. I used a factory crossmember and stock height motor mounts. That could be my issue

Also how could I run this factory ecm and harness in this car? Would I have to swap over a dash harness and everything else? Or an aftermarket ecm or convert to carb?
    The fairmont is an auto. Would I have to cut the floor to get the 5spd to work. And what about the clutch cable?
    Has anyone doen this swap? Thanks
    1980 Futura 347 C4

Votes to convert to a carburetor. You'll not only have more power, immediately, but dialed in, more MPG to boot.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

This could definitely be done. It's also fairly easy to lower the engine a little if need be (but the flat hood of the Fairmont gives a little more room than the sloping hood of the Mustang).
    On a '93, if you pull the engine harness and swap it to the Fairmont, it will fit. I'm not sure about the whole dash harness, but the ECM on these cars is way less complex than on the 94+ cars so you might not have to change out much more than the stuff to run the engine if you want to keep the stock dash.
    An aftermarket ECM might be easier, but probably not much easier, and you already have a good one with a tuner, so I'd skip that. I think that most of the '93 wiring will go to the engine, vehicle speed sensor (comes with transmission), maybe the brake and clutch pedals (take the whole pedal box), and your power source. Figure out the 1 or 2 exceptions later, if there even are any--I think it's going to be even easier than it sounds.
    You might have to make a hole for the shifter (is it a column or floor shift auto?), and there are some things about the transmission crossmember that very by year and transmission, but they've all been done many times and aren't so hard.
    The clutch cable will fit like it was made to go there if you take the pedal box from the Mustang (it will fit because it WAS made to go there...even the 94+ fit just fine if you are willing to enlarge 1 bolt hole).
    I'd guess the work you did to get the 408/3650 into the Mustang and fully tuned, is more than the work to transfer the whole thing to the Fairmont.

I have a stock block 414ci efi windsor under a stock hood in my fairmont wagon. Engine sit very low in the car, I used engine and mid plate but could have done the same thing with a cut set of solid mounts. Engine has a Super Victor intake and elbow so its a pretty tall setup.

1979 Fairmont wagon 414ci (stock block), 88mm T6, TH400, 9" rear 8.92 at 152.
    1980 Boxtop 306 w/70mm, 10.05 at 142.66 (traction limited) Dart blocked 331ci, S480
    1981 Fairmont 4-door project. 441rwhp on 12.5psi. (SOLD)

What I did with my Zeph is, swapped the entire Mustang chassis harness to the Zeph body. If you swap the Mustang dash over, it's even easier. Most of your concerns are non-issues. Fox body interchangeability is a wonderful thing. Swap the dash over with the harness attached, run it through the firewall and plug everything on the engine back in, right where it was on your Mustang.

You may have to cut your floor, but no big deal. As far as the tranny cross member is concerned, Stifler's has a solution for you.

Saw you posted your question on the Fairmont/Zephyr FB page, but was a little unclear on what you wanted to do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks for the help guys. I guess converting to a carb would be easier. I don't want to put the mustang dash in the fairmont. The fairmont is pretty clean inside. Is there a way to just switch over the ecm harness? Also anyone know if the tremec 3650 is the same size as a t5? Just wondering if I have to move the crossmember mounts on the body to get that trans in there
    1980 Futura 347 C4

Quote Originally Posted by NewToFord View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I guess converting to a carb would be easier. I don't want to put the mustang dash in the fairmont. The fairmont is pretty clean inside. Is there a way to just switch over the ecm harness? Also anyone know if the tremec 3650 is the same size as a t5? Just wondering if I have to move the crossmember mounts on the body to get that trans in there
    The best way to do it would be to get a dash harness from an '86 Mustang. Same dash as Fairmont, but SEFI engine. '86 is the only year for a direct swap. You can still do it if you can't find the '86 harness, you'd just have to spend more time with some wiring diagrams to make everything work. Of course swapping to carb would be easier, but would it be as cool? NO! You'd probably have the only EFI 351 powered Fairmont there is! I wanted to do it myself using Lightning stuff, but put that idea aside for now.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I don't see the need for the dash swap.
    Just start with the ECM and follow each wire. Most of them end on the engine or in the engine bay, so that's easy.
    You'll have an always hot wire to the battery. If it's not already ended someplace easy, put it on the starter solenoid.
    You'll have a wire to the ignition switch or a run relay that is powered by the ignition switch. If you can't find an easy spot, run a wire from the fusebox to a relay behind the glove box.
    The couple extra wires (clutch, brake, transmission speed sensor...if you have those wires, because I'm too lazy to look it up) will be obvious and probably will transfer with your transmission and pedals.
    The gauges in a Fairmont are simple. If you have the full gauge package, you'll need to land the existing oil and temp wires on the appropriate sensors (you'll have to plumb those, but Ford doesn't change those a whole lot so the ones on your engine might work as is. If the readings are different than you think they should be, buy the senders that match the Fairmont and screw them into the engine). The amp gauge is in the Fairmont harness and will work if you leave the harness alone.
    If you don't have the Fairmont "sport" gauge package, you just have a gas gauge, and that's totally independent of the engine.

While the transmission tunnels are probably somewhat different, as mentioned above, you can either move your crossmember or buy the Stiffler's setup.

The thing you haven't touched on is the fuel tank/high pressure lines. That's also pretty easy to do with all new and not super expensive parts. Search "F2C" or "F16C" and you'll get several threads that describe in detail a) how to do it and b) which tank you actually need.

Anyway I can lower the engine with a tubular cross member?
    1980 Futura 347 C4