Close

Default T-5 Neutral Safety Switch Hole Plug

So, I got this crazy idea i want to plug my T-5's neutral safety switch hole so I don't just have the wires for it flopping around under there. It's a neatness thing.

My car has an automatic harness and computer (A9P) so i don't have anything to wire the NSS to anyway. I want to remove it and plug the hole. I'd like the plug to be shorter than the threads on the switch itself so it will bottom out before it interferes with whatever pushes the ball in and out.

With some digging i found out the size is 16MM x 1.5. The thing is, i'm not sure what those numbers refer to exactly. I found some plugs that say they're that size or M16x1.5". Is that the same thing? I don't know. If it was a bolt, I think M16 would refer to the width of the threaded area with metric threads, and the bolt would be 1.5" long. This is what has me confused. The threaded area is certainly not 1.5" long. The length of the threaded area IS critical though.

I've also seen there are oil drain plugs that say they are M16x1.5". Would the best way to seal the hole be to use a gasket for one of these, or teflon tape on the threads?

Thanks in advance!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

M16 = 16mm thread diameter, 1.5 = 1.5 thread pitch.

Metric threads are expressed by how many millimeters each thread covers, so a larger number is a coarser pitch. In other words, each thread peak is 1.5mm apart.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 12-06-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    M16 = 16mm thread diameter, 1.5 = 1.5 thread pitch.

Metric threads are expressed by how many millimeters each thread covers, so a larger number is a coarser pitch. In other words, each thread peak is 1.5mm apart.
    Ah, that makes sense.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Hey, it works.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I believe that was the high gear indicator switch. It lets the ECU know when the car is in 5th gear so it doesn't light up the upshift indicator light.

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    I believe that was the high gear indicator switch. It lets the ECU know when the car is in 5th gear so it doesn't light up the upshift indicator light.

Cale
    Hmm, interesting. The code on the trans says it's from a '91 GT. Is that something they did on GTs that year? My cluster is MY1990, and i don't recall seeing one in there when I was swapping bulbs.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

There were two different styles, depending on the year and application. Up through '86, the Fox
    Mustangs used it as a top gear switch. From '87 forward in the Fox Mustangs, the ECU used it as
    a neutral sensor switch (no relation to the starting function at all). The location of the notch in
    the main shift rail determined which position would activate the switch.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

my 84 tranny only has a reverse switch. I could only get continuity in rev. Sound right?

The reverse light switch on the T5 is normally located on the left side of the main case, while the top gear/neutral
    sensor switch is up on the forward end of the top cover.

I believe the top gear switch for the upshift light was added after the start of production for the '84 model year.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    The reverse light switch on the T5 is normally located on the left side of the main case, while the top gear/neutral
    sensor switch is up on the forward end of the top cover.

I believe the top gear switch for the upshift light was added after the start of production for the '84 model year.
    That would not surprise me. I really only have experience with Fords. I wonder if all manufacturers switch stuff just at random like the blue oval does? I recall I had an '84 1/2 GT that the fuel sender failed on. I had a '84 GT wrecked parts car that was manufactured like 7 weeks earlier so I figured free parts, its only my labor to drop the tank and snag it. Only to find COMPLETELY different wiring harness connectors. Why change such a thing in the middle of the year? Always thought it was bizarre but maybe they all do it.