Close

Default Restomod vs Original

What would the value difference be between a well done restomod 79 Cobra vs a well done restored 79 cobra? I know these would be 2 totally different audiences but trying to use this in our decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Describe YOUR vision of a "Restomod" so as to make a comparison?
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Any time you personalize the vehicle (aka resto-mod), you tend to limit the potential buying audience to ones that have the same likes / dislikes as you do. There are exceptions to the rule (ie switching from an original 2.3 turbo draw-through carb to V-eat or even 2.3T EFI). Obviously anything that's a bolt on can be un-done by the next owner. But big things like color change, interior personalization / updates could hurt resale.

My $0.02.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Generally, if you don't have too much into the car to start with, and it's in overall good condition, then restoring it to original will probably return you about what you have into it if you go to sell it later. Mods can make the car work better, but they're very expensive and a fox mustang will only bring what it can bring. A 79 Cobra is cool, but if you change it a lot, well, it's no longer a 79 Cobra if you know what I mean.

So, if you're starting with a nice car, then original might be cheaper to do and keep you closest to value (not going upside-down in the car), not to mention it's kind of a shame to change around a nice original car. If you're starting with a basket case that's going to need everything replaced, it's still probably cheaper to go original as you can get used parts for it. That said, if you want a fast car, then you're going to have to do a lot of modifying to what you have. I cruised in mine, so original was fine with me.

Sometimes, if you want to go modified and you're starting with something nice, it might make more sense to sell it, and use the cash to buy a roller and really go nuts!

...I should say, pretty much no matter what you do, it won't exactly be a money-maker, so do what you want to enjoy it. I like to keep my projects within saleable value, as I don't like losing money on things (been there, done that). The downside is that because of that, I have to be very picky about my projects, so it's been over a year since I've been looking to replace my last one.
    Last edited by Matt J; 12-06-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Blog Entries

You're restoring or modifying an older car. The first thing you need to realize is, YOU WILL NOT MAKE ANY MONEY! Lol. Breaking even is pretty much the holy grail of selling a car like this. The best thing to do is to build the car you want. If you are building to sell, do the absolute bare minimum to make it drive down the road, and sell it. This will gain you the most money. If you are building it for yourself, don't build a car that is not your kind of ride, because you will not enjoy it as much. A restored 4 cyl turbo is great, but if your dream fox has a 408 and turns 10's in the quarter, you wasted your time.
    General guidelines, though, if you think sale is possible in the future, maintain as much outward original as you can, and upgrade the mechanicals. Do the drivetrain, skip 5 lug conversion. The average buyer will have almost no clue what the difference is, as long as the car stops. The same goes for suspension upgrades. They sold thousands of these on stock suspension, and your average buyer could care less there is $3000 worth of Maximum Motorsport parts underneath. Do simple things like exhaust, etc.
    avoid trends like black wheels,flat black paint, anything from Autozone's Chinese bling isle, and keep it simple.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

79 cobra since we're keeping it im thinking resto mod to a certain extent without going crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Describe YOUR vision of a "Resto-mod" so as to make a comparison?
    The reason I ask this question has EVERYTHING to do with Dollar value of the "Resto-mod" and the answer to your question.

What do I mean?

In the Corvette world you can buy a none matching number 1964 Corvette Convertible in driver condition to piss poor condition ALL DAY for $35K or less. You can completely frame-off restore that same 1964 Corvette back to total NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) original "Top Flight" condition spending $100K doing so for dated correct parts, materials, labor and have a $65K car when you are done.

Take that same none matching number 1964 Corvette Convertible, replace the original Chassis for an aftermarket chassis with late model Corvette suspension, install an LS engine, Tremec TKO 5 speed transmission, modern Heat/AC, nice interior, modern wheels/tires and then do all the same cosmetic work you will do on the stock restoration car for "LESS MONEY" than you will spend on the stock restoration without all the money spent on dated part/component restoration crap.

The result is that you will have a Corvette that will SELL for $100K-$200K depending upon the quality of your work. All the while doing this "Resto-mod" Corvette for LESS MONEY that you would have spent on the "stock" NCRS "Top Flight" restoration. The same situation applies here if you "Resto-mod" the 1973 or 1982 Corvette. You make em driveable/enjoyable they become more desirable to more people and they bring much "MO MONEY" when you sell em!

Camaro, Chevelle and yes even an early Mustang "Resto-mod" can bring "MO MONEY" than a high quality MCA restoration of the same car. You see this all the time at BJ and other auctions.

The "Fat 55 & Up Crowd" have the money to spend and they want to drive a "Vintage" car from their youth with modern driving manners and modern comfort/convenience.

Does this translate to the Foxbody Mustang crowd?

Not Yet however it's coming!

Just look at some of the Killer Coyote swapped Foxbody Mustangs being built and what some have sold for. Certainly NOT Corvette money however a Hell of a LOT "Mo Money" than your average nothing special model MCA Concourse Restoration Foxbody Mustang.

Having said all this BS I say YES a "Resto-Mod" Foxbody Mustang Has, Can and Will bring "MO MONEY" than a stock restoration of a nothing special Fox body depending upon the level modification to bring the car to modern late model vehicle comfort and convenience all in the fabulous Foxbody design!

IF your idea of a "Resto-Mod" is doing all the Very Basic upgrades discussed on this site everyday then the answer is NO as you will have to find that one buyer who likes what you done to your car is a sea of the many Foxbody Mustangs with the same modifications that the owner/seller has crowned a "Resto-Mod" Foxbody Mustang!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 12-06-2016 at 06:04 PM.
    Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

great point

Quote Originally Posted by tylerthomas49 View Post
    79 cobra since we're keeping it im thinking resto mod to a certain extent without going crazy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crazy is what makes em bring the money!
    Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

Crazy is what makes em bring the money!
    Great me and my dad ^^^ should go crazy with this 79 then but i'm really looking to keep it as i'm only 17 i got a lot of living to do with this car

Crazy also makes you SPEND a LOT of money on the front-end also building the car!
    Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

Personally, I'd just build the car I wanted and forget about "resale value".

Unless you get in super cheap on a car that needs almost nothing, you're not going to make money on it.

My 83 was "just" a 3.8 auto GLX to begin with. Not a "collector car" by any means, but factory original. Bought it in 83. First marriage/honeymoon, brought my daughter home from the hospital in it, crossed the continent several times in it, etc, etc....

When it rolls out it will have a 302, 5 speed, 3.73 Trac lock 31 spline 8.8, 2003 mach1/cobra front suspension, complete torque arm rear suspension, SN95 brakes, 5 bolt Bullitt rims and T-Roof.

I know some guys here get a little giddy over early Cobra's, Pace Cars, Saleen's, Dominators, Twisters, etc... but honestly, all I see is another Fox.

Fox's were made to sell cheap, to be used and to be (tastefully) modified. That's the classic successful "Mustang" formula from job one in 64 1/2.

I'd have no issues modifying a 79 cobra to make it run hard and fast while keeping the "flavor" of the original car.

Doing 1.0+ G's and/or sub 13 second 1/4 in a 79 bodied Fox (Cobra or otherwise) is the ultimate cool factor in my books. Old looking car that can hang with modern iron. Way cool.

You car, your decision. Decide the way you want it, not the way you think someone else wants it....
    Last edited by great white; 12-06-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Crazy also makes you SPEND a LOT of money on the front-end also building the car!
    This is what i was wanting to do with the car, keeping it somewhat original but going 5 speed updating a bit of the interior and restoring other parts. not to crazy with the motor a cam some heads nice exhaust. as well as a lower valence still haven't decided to go with a cowl or keep the original hood. set of wheels and painting it back black the way it came. definitely lower it tubular k member. upper and lower control arms also going with an 8:8 rear. Later on maybe a 5 lug swap but not worried about that right now. Car should look pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by great white View Post
    Personally, I'd just build the car I wanted and forget about "resale value".

Unless you get in super cheap on a car that needs almost nothing, you're not going to make money on it.

My 83 was "just" a 3.8 auto GLX to begin with. Not a "collector car" by any means, but factory original. Bought it in 83. First marriage/honeymoon, brought my daughter home from the hospital in it, crossed the continent several times in it, etc, etc....

When it rolls out it will have a 302, 5 speed, 3.73 Trac lock 31 spline 8.8, 2003 mach1/cobra front suspension, complete torque arm rear suspension and T-Roof.

I know some guys here get a little giddy over early Cobra's, Pace Cars, Saleen's, Dominators, Twisters, etc... but honestly, all I see is another Fox.

Fox's were made to sell cheap, to be used and to be (tastefully) modified. That's the classic successful "Mustang" formula from job one in 64 1/2.

I'd have no issues modifying a 79 cobra to make it run hard and fast while keeping the "flavor" of the original car.

Doing 1.0+ G's and/or sub 13 second 1/4 in a 79 bodied Fox (Cobra or otherwise) is the ultimate cool factor in my books. Old looking car that can hang with modern iron. Way cool.

You car, your decision. Decide the way you want it, not the way you think someone else wants it....
    thanks for the advice, Greatly appreciated

FEP Super Member

The only thing that is stock about my 84 Gt , is the body and some of the interior.
    I have changed the seats to 01 Cobra , removed the back seat and replaced it with my own delete .
    Has 95 spindles , 03 Cobra control arms and brakes , Turbo Coupe sway bar , and 03 Cobra rack.
    For the rear I have 88 Turbo Coupe 8.8 with 3:73 gears and 03 Cobra brakes , Mach 1 sway bar .

Engine e is a 68 block with Scat reciprocating assembly , aluminum heads , and Megasquirt EFI ...and a 250 shot of spray.
    Still wears factory paint and the rest of the gut.
    In this configuration , I have been offered 10k .
    I have spent the better part of 14 years building the car , have working A/c , and all the creature comforts other than the cruise control.

Make it the way you like it , others will like it if you do it right , and you will get more fun , and worry about the loot later .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

A resto-mod done correct on the right car would fetch a much bigger price tag then original IMO. On a foxbody the first thing that will help fetch more money is a mod motor (i.e coyote swap). Ssecond is picking the right body style.....most will say a Notchback or T-Top Notchback (but this is all subject to who wants to buy it) Then is the car special, most non hardcore Mustang people will not really know the difference unless it is a Cobra or GT.

I am currently building a resto mod SVO, not to sell but because I want a Foxbody that can turn and stop.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

FEP Super Member

My 84 is a T-top , so that does make it a bit more unique , also not built to sell , but have as much fun as I can with it , while addressing the factory weak points , like no power , or handling .

The 91 Cobra swap coupe , same thing .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right